Go Back   The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang by Model Year > 2005-2009 Mustang > 05-09 Modifications > GT Performance Mods
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Welcome to The Mustang Source!
Welcome to The Mustang Source,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 7/13/06, 5:13 PM   #1
Bullitt Member

What does 4.10 Gears mean on a Dyno

I have seen some responses from people on here regarding lossses in HP and TQ on the dyno when done with 4.10 gears.

Exactly why would you lose HP or TQ when on a dyno because of 4.10 gears...Id like to know, As you can see I have a few mods myself including a custom dyno tune and 4.10 gears...

Thanks
Sold Date: 8/30/2005

Mods : FRPP Borla Exhaust, C&L Racer CAI, DiabloSport Predator, 4.10 FRPP Gears, CDC smooth hood scoop, cervinis quarter window scoop, cervinis side scoop, SS ducktail, Shelby GT350 Rocker Stripes
dcranford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/13/06, 5:26 PM   #2
Juggs Wapner WannaBe
TMS Staff

See username

Good question.....I've been wondering too.

I last dyno'ed at 296/316 and since have added 4.10 gears. What should I expect to see now, all things being equal?

Upon the warp we ride......
tom281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/13/06, 6:26 PM   #3
Mach 1 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcranford
I have seen some responses from people on here regarding lossses in HP and TQ on the dyno when done with 4.10 gears.

Exactly why would you lose HP or TQ when on a dyno because of 4.10 gears...Id like to know, As you can see I have a few mods myself including a custom dyno tune and 4.10 gears...

Thanks
Its a basic fact that reduction gears are not 100% efficient. In other words, if you put in 300 hp, you get less than 300 hp out. The more the reduction, the less effcient they are and the higher the loss. 3.55 gears loose a little hp, 4.10 loose a little more. Lots of other factors effect exactly how much you loose, but don't be surprised to see 5 to 10 hp difference between 3.55's and 4.10's.

Hope that helps

The Boss Hog
Old 7/13/06, 7:38 PM   #4
GT Member

So do you benefit more from having the 4.10's or the 5 to 10 hp's.
Old 7/13/06, 8:17 PM   #5
Bullitt Member

good question

so is there more benefit from having the pull of 4.10's or the 5 to 10 HP of a higher gear ratio (3.55)
Sold Date: 8/30/2005

Mods : FRPP Borla Exhaust, C&L Racer CAI, DiabloSport Predator, 4.10 FRPP Gears, CDC smooth hood scoop, cervinis quarter window scoop, cervinis side scoop, SS ducktail, Shelby GT350 Rocker Stripes
dcranford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/13/06, 8:23 PM   #6
FR500 Member

Send a message via AIM to SixtySix
Quit bench racing and let your butt decide what you like
SixtySix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/13/06, 8:37 PM   #7
Mach 1 Member

You're not making any less horsepower. It all has to do with how the dyno calculates horsepower vs. torque.
Bullitt995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/13/06, 11:53 PM   #8
Mach 1 Member

Send a message via AIM to emperorjordan Send a message via MSN to emperorjordan
yes, the engine is producing the same amount of power, but the gear ratio kills the number the dyno calculates. I think it is the same sort of error as if you dynoed in 3rd gear for example. car producing the same power, but dyno numbers are off.
-Hurst White Ball shifter ( from Brenspeed.com)
-Motive 4.30s (MustangTuning.com)
-SCT XCAL 2 (BAMACHIPS)
-BBR cams
-BMR brackets and LCAs
-Prothane Motor Mounts
emperorjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/14/06, 4:54 AM   #9
Team Mustang Source

Dave

2005 Mustang GT
Send a message via Yahoo to MTAS
From the Mustang Dyno web page (www.mustangdyne.com) FAQ:

Q:
Why does the dyno show a power loss after a differential gear change (say a 3.42 to 4.10 gear)?
A:
The Chassis Dynamometer measures power that reaches the tires, not Engine Power. Therefore, any changes you make to your drivetrain may result in a change in your chassis Dynamometer results. A steeper gear ratio will provide the following,

1. Higher peak force to the ground
2. Higher average force to the ground
3. Lower top speed (MPH)
4. Higher peak acceleration rate in all gears
5. Lower peak horsepower

The reason you lose your peak hp is based on higher acceleration rates, increased gear mesh/losses, higher tire losses. These will affect your peak horsepower number in a negative fashion. Losing approx. 5% is expected when changing to a significantly steeper rear gear. Engine power was not reduced, power to the ground was. In exchange, you have more force available which is what allows you to accelerate faster off the line. If you enjoy the feeling of Gs forces as you accelerate, you made a wise choice. Do not be discouraged by the peak power numbers—they are just a reference.

The future of commercial vehicles is here

Toyota sucks
- why? http://www.nitromater.com/threads/to...e-3#post-47929

"And by the way, this is America and our flag has stars and stripes. Please get that other one out of my face." -Charlie Daniels
MTAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/14/06, 5:04 AM   #10
Mach 1 Member

One of the magazines ran an article on the Drag pack. They did a before and after with 4.10 gears and lost 5-7 HP at the wheels. No other changes.
1trickpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/14/06, 11:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtySix
Quit bench racing and let your butt decide what you like
Amen brotha... I've never won a race on a dyno yet.

Quote:
Do not be discouraged by the peak power numbers—they are just a reference.
Exactly... peak power numbers only mean something on the dyno. They have virtually no significance on the street or at the track. There are literally dozens of other variables that have as much (or more) importance on how quickly the car accelerates. Personally, I would rather have low dyno numbers and a quick car, than big dyno numbers and a pig car.

MODS: Fully Built Teksid Shortblock, Livernois Stage 3 P&P Heads, Kenne Bell 2.4L Supercharger, and much more Click for Complete Mod List & Videos(Car Domain) Engine Built & Tuned by Adam at S.T. Motorsports
don_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/14/06, 11:10 AM