GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

The TRUTH about emissions testing and tuning files

Search this Thread

Old 4/11/08, 05:58 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm using Advantage 3 and periodically update my base files. I think they all default to keeping the OBD-II monitoring ON. It's just that the starter tune I received had the entire OBD-II monitoring disabled. When I discovered this by accident (a software glitch that revealed settings that I normally cannot see), I inquired about it and reverted the monitoring setting back to stock. Immediately, I got DTCs for a 1-2 and 2-3 shift problem, misfiring, and a few other codes

I am not sure how much "faster" the PCM works with the OBDII or misfire monitoring disabled. It seems unlikely the car would run faster or you would get more horsepower by disabling these 2 systems.

Off-topic, but: I found it rather interesting to look at the 07 GT's base calibration. The manual transmissions cleans up the file quite nicely. The automatic requires settings for the shift schedule, torque converter, line pressure, and other junk.

Last edited by metroplex; 4/11/08 at 06:04 AM.
Old 4/11/08, 07:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've gone through two emissions tests with Doug's tune loaded and have not had any problems at all. Never had a code of any type pop up.
Old 4/4/18, 11:06 AM

Just found this. I know forum sites are dying... Anyone know how to get a hold of this type of tun still?
Old 4/4/18, 02:14 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by 5LEETR
Just found this. I know forum sites are dying... Anyone know how to get a hold of this type of tun still?
When they refer to Doug here they are referring to Bama tunes from back in the day probably 10 years ago. A lot of members used him and his times were good and popular. He sold out to American Muscle and they bought his name basically and they then sold Bama tunes.

So today to get one of these tunes you would have to talk to them. Or you can try to find someone else. Brenspeed has done my cam tunes before and I was happy and got good customer service.
Old 4/4/18, 02:27 PM

I have a Bama tune on the car now. O2 system is not showing ready, but the swear up and down that its not the tune that is causing my problem.

I just need to pass state to register this car.
Old 4/4/18, 02:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Put it back to stock. I put my stock air filter housing back on, flash back to stock, drive, and I pass. Otherwise my Brenspeed tune has the rear o2's turned off.
Old 4/4/18, 04:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
Originally Posted by 5LEETR
I have a Bama tune on the car now. O2 system is not showing ready, but the swear up and down that its not the tune that is causing my problem.

I just need to pass state to register this car.
Go all the way back to the first post in this thread, he explains how it works, maybe you need to explain to the new Bama tuners. I have been able to pass with Bama tune installed, and I think the key goes back to that first post in this thread.

Originally Posted by Stoenr
Put it back to stock. I put my stock air filter housing back on, flash back to stock, drive, and I pass. Otherwise my Brenspeed tune has the rear o2's turned off.
That can be a lot of work, depending on the mods on the car.
Old 4/6/18, 06:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Back in the day Doug wrote me a tune that passed obd smog testing with no cats on the car. The current BAMA will not or does not know how to do this. I think Doug was working for C&L or Brenspeed or something like that. he is still doing tuning, just don't know where he is at.
Old 4/6/18, 10:42 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,584 Posts
After Doug sold his tuning business to AM, he became lead calibrator for C&L until they were also acquired by AM. To my knowledge, Doug has never worked for Brenspeed in any capacity. At any rate, I started out with Doug's tunes over 12 years ago and IMHO his tunes were always top notch along with providing excellent customer service. Needless to say, he was definitely one of a kind to say the very least and hope he'll consider starting up a new tuning business in the near future