GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Pypes Off Road H-pipe Install

Search this Thread

Old 12/29/07, 02:37 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pypes Off Road H-pipe Install

Well I tossed my hands up in the air and said screw it and installed them tonight (or last night since its 130am).

First off, this is a bioootch of a task with lowered cars. I made ramps last night and they worked great for raising the front, but still not enough room to get to the clamps on the H.

Lucky for me, my buddy has a hydraulic lift. We raised up the rear and then put ramps under the rear tires and Wallllaaa, we were in business.

The install was pretty simple. The front O2 sensor was a PITA to get to with the Cat in the way. Got it all back together though in about an hour.

Impressions.... On startup my jaw dropped. Much throatier and alot louder. Enough to were my buddy, said, okay okay, move it. With a little pedal, it sounds like an entire different machine. I was very impressed..

Then I left his house all together and hit the hwy. The hp gain is easily noticeable. Instead of just a little spin in 2nd, it spun and went sideways.

I will toss a video/sound clip together with before/after.

Another nice surprise was to see that Doug (bama) obviously already had the rear o2 sensors turned off. No check engine light.
Old 12/29/07, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats! I love mine too.
Old 12/29/07, 07:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Congrats Colby,
I see you finally decided what to do. I think you made the right decision! Enjoy!!
Scott
Old 12/29/07, 10:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Great to hear... glad it went well for you. I will be anxious to hear those before/after clips!
Old 12/29/07, 10:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

cant wait to see those clips! but from what you said, im sure it sounds SINISTER!
Old 12/29/07, 10:31 AM
GT Member

You wouldn't get a check engine light right off the bat. I had to drive about 100 miles before my CEL came on.
Old 12/29/07, 10:36 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Another nice surprise was to see that Doug (bama) obviously already had the rear o2 sensors turned off. No check engine light

What did you do with the rear O2 sensors then if they were not needed??? Tape them up out of the way or what????
I'm getting ready to install the same H-pipe when I can get a semi-warm and dry day off from work.
Old 12/29/07, 12:15 PM
Cobra Member

You just switch the O2 sensors over to the H-pipe. The passenger side has 2 and the driver side has 1. You will most likley need a 22 wrench to take the front (top) O2 sensor off. Unless you have small hands and can reach the green clip thats tucked under there so only a magician can get to it. The other 2 are pretty much infront of your face and easy to snap off/on.

The instructions say to install the RH side and then the LH side, but if you do that then its a PITA to get the H pipe connected good. So I figured, the stock came out all together, so why not. Took it all down, connected them together and then installed it. MUCH EASIER.

I will make a sound file here in a bit and then post the two later...Whats the best site to upload? Youtube?? and Is there any format I need or program to shrink the file size etc??
Old 12/29/07, 01:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Hmm, I really need hear one of these OR H-pipes in person, every clip I hear sounds like a tractor. However it is still on my future mods list!
Old 12/29/07, 01:56 PM

The upper passenger O2 sensor is easy to get to if you remove the battery and tray. The Driver side is not removed as it is installed in the manifold not the H-Pipe.
Old 12/29/07, 10:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
For future O/R-H installers... Pypes O/R H-Pipe Install
Old 12/29/07, 11:30 PM

Mid Pypes

Installed my mid pipes on friday morning. Since reading about all the fittment issues, I took it to a local muffler shop for the "just in case". This local shop is really good with custom exhausts. They helped fit the last exhaust for my 98 and it has the panhard bar set up in back, no fittment issues. Well the Pypes company must have somebody sleeping on the job as the shop had just put this same set up on another mustang the week before and both exhaust systems have the rear hangers near the tips too long. The hanger was cut and adjusted. The 4" tips look great and the sound is classic. This exhaust system sits in the exact place as stock height wise, so as far as lowering you car it will be ok unless you go over one of those massive speed bumps or a bad drive way. This is the first time I can think of where I have driven a car without the radio on just to hear the exhaust! Here`s the shocker, while you drove before, inside the car all you heard was engine and transmission whine. Now it sounds like a Mustang should have from the factory. Oh yeah as you drive at "speeds" down the interstate there is not the dreaded drone, is has the lower muscle car rumble, that is untill you open her up to sweet music you can appreciate. hence the no radio option.
Old 12/30/07, 05:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Glad you like the H pipe! I had a set on mine and it sounded like an old pulp wood truck. Dyno gain was 6hp, but not enough for me to justify keeping it. Most comments I heard were "what did you do to your car?" and "uh, that's really loud". Glad you enjoy it, but just a note to others, the sound is a little harsh and raspy to some.
Old 12/30/07, 10:40 AM
Cobra Member

Well I spoke to soon about the check engine light. I guess Erik nailed it on the head. Still waiting to hear from Doug on an updated tune.
Old 12/30/07, 01:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by colbymh
Well I spoke to soon about the check engine light. I guess Erik nailed it on the head. Still waiting to hear from Doug on an updated tune.

Hey Colby,
Reload your latest tune from Doug. If he really updated your tune to turn off the rear O2 sensors so you could run without cats you should not have this issue. Take your tuner to the car and read your diaognosic codes to see what it reads. If it says something about the rear O2 sensors than your tune does not have the rears turned off or you entered the wrong tune. I ran Doug's tune for months with an offroad pipe with no problems.
Scott
Old 12/30/07, 04:08 PM
Cobra Member

Hey Scott..

Thanks for the info. I was actually just getting ready to check the code. I might have mis-spoken earlier. I emailed Doug last week before the install, asking for an updated tune. I havent heard back from him yet, so I'm still running my 92race tune that doesnt have the rear O2's turned off.

I emailed him again today, so hopefully I hear from him soon.
Old 12/30/07, 04:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by colbymh
Hey Scott..

Thanks for the info. I was actually just getting ready to check the code. I might have mis-spoken earlier. I emailed Doug last week before the install, asking for an updated tune. I havent heard back from him yet, so I'm still running my 92race tune that doesnt have the rear O2's turned off.

I emailed him again today, so hopefully I hear from him soon.
Colby,
That is the problem!!! Your tune. Don't look at the light. Go run the car and have fun until you get your undated tune. It won't hurt a thing!!
Scott