GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Is the PSI on Roushcharger increasable?

Search this Thread

Old 9/27/07, 11:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the PSI on Roushcharger increasable?

The current PSI boost on the Roushcharger is 5 PSI. I was wonder if you can increase the boost to lets say 8-9 PSI? Also, is the estimated hp/torque increase numbers for the roush is 115/65 , is that rearwheel numbers or flywheel? If you have any feedback for this kit please post them, Thanks.
Old 9/27/07, 11:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

You have to change out the pullies in order to get more boost and it can be done easily. Since those are increase numbers they should be roughly correct for both rearwheel and flywheel.
Old 9/27/07, 01:20 PM
Bullitt Member

The old Roushcharger estimate was 115/65 hp/torque, but the new kit is estimated at 145/98. Is the kits different or what did they add to get the new boost?
Old 9/27/07, 02:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by buffguy
The old Roushcharger estimate was 115/65 hp/torque, but the new kit is estimated at 145/98. Is the kits different or what did they add to get the new boost?
Roush's advertised numbers are at the flywheel. 145/98 is high for a Roushcharger unless that is their upgraded model they have been working on. Haven't been on their site.

The upgrade tune and smaller pully package from Roush increases the boost by using the smaller pulley and rerouting some of the vacuum line but it's nothing near 8 or 9 psi. Maybe 6 possibly 7. Don't have a boost guage yet so I personally don't know what mine does.

Edit:, just looked at the site. They are selling the SC's with the smaller pulley and tune now. I dyno'd at 379 RWHP with it which put's me around 445-450 Flywheel (300 stock +145).
Old 9/28/07, 11:57 AM

Find a better blower if you are serious.... Rousch is not the way to go.
Old 9/28/07, 12:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Kenne Bell 2.8L, imo
Old 9/28/07, 05:46 PM
Former Vendor

Saleen or Whipple 10PSI.. but, having to purchase a new blower is BS.

BBR 9 PSI pulley with a custom tune and a billet idler pulley. Careful when you get a tune, because most people are having problems not allowing for it to get full boost. Newer kits wont experience these problems, because Roush no longer uses the CMCV parameters in the Ford PCM to control boost.

Get a custom dyno tune, I wouldn't trust ANYONE mail order on this one.

http://www.blowbyracing.com/220roscpu.html

CR
Tillman Speed
610-497-3711
Old 9/28/07, 07:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
Saleen or Whipple 10PSI.. but, having to purchase a new blower is BS.

BBR 9 PSI pulley with a custom tune and a billet idler pulley. Careful when you get a tune, because most people are having problems not allowing for it to get full boost. Newer kits wont experience these problems, because Roush no longer uses the CMCV parameters in the Ford PCM to control boost.

Get a custom dyno tune, I wouldn't trust ANYONE mail order on this one.

http://www.blowbyracing.com/220roscpu.html

CR
Tillman Speed
610-497-3711
+1

I forgot to add that yes you can get more PSI out of it but basically it's a waste of your time and money. It will void the warranty which is the main reason to purchase it. If your car is older (05-06) and close to or out of warranty, go with something else as the choices for expandabilty is far better.
Old 9/28/07, 07:30 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Justin at VMP Tuning is offering kits to upgrade the Roushcharger as well.
Old 9/29/07, 04:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by uberPony
Find a better blower if you are serious.... Rousch is not the way to go.

Is the roushcharger that bad? I still can't figure out why the roushcharger can't be boost to higher psi, like 8-10 even thought it has a intercooler? I saw a roushcharger selling for $4000 used thats why im considering it. I figured that I won't be able to get a supercharger with a intercooler for that price. What do you guys think I should do? Look for something else or get it?
Old 9/29/07, 04:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by buffguy
Is the roushcharger that bad? I still can't figure out why the roushcharger can't be boost to higher psi, like 8-10 even thought it has a intercooler? I saw a roushcharger selling for $4000 used thats why im considering it. I figured that I won't be able to get a supercharger with a intercooler for that price. What do you guys think I should do? Look for something else or get it?
It's not bad at all. I have one on my car and I love it.

Read this thread.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=70925

It has some good info on different SC's and peoples opinions on them. Mine on my Roush is post 18.

First off, be weary of a used SC. Why are they selling it? How many miles are on it? etc etc.

Second question, what are your plans for your car meaning down the road what would you like to be doing with it? Just an everyday driver? Everyday driver with the occasional track visit? Hard core Drag racing or Road Coirse? Answer all those questions.

Now the reason most don't like it because for one, it's a "Roots" style blower which is least efficient of the three. It also is one of if not the smallest SC on the markey at 1.4 Liters I think which limits what you can get out of it. Yes you can get close to 8-10 PSI but that's after you put a smaller pulley on it, CAI, and a tune. That will cost you somewhere around $1000 between the parts, the tune, and the tuner. Now you are at 5k not to mention whatever it will cost you to get it installed which is around if not more then some SC's that will give you what you are looking for out of the box.

Why 8 to 10 PSI? Why not 12, 15 or even 20?

IMO 4k is too much for a used one. You won't even get the best quality of it which is maintaining the 3/36000.
Old 9/29/07, 07:46 PM

hey there guys just thought I would chime in on this one. I have had our RoushCharger for well over a year now and I love it. I do have the smaller pulley kit for the Roushcharger and I also have a boost gauge with the smaller pulley and I do hit 8 pounds of boost.
I just saw VMP today in fact at our local Mustang show here in Citrus County
my car dynoed in at 370 RWHP. Justin did tell me that he could give me about 50 more HP with a tune and an even smaller pulley like the one from BBR. I also talked to him about letting her breathe a little better with a CAI. Which is deffinately down the line for me as well as opening my exhaust a little more. I was pretty happy with my number today considering it was Freakin hot outside and my stang had been in the sun for some time so I deffinately feel like a few more mods to my stang and I will be in the 400 RWHP range which is plenty of HP for me
Old 9/29/07, 08:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GPStang06
It's not bad at all. I have one on my car and I love it.

Read this thread.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=70925

It has some good info on different SC's and peoples opinions on them. Mine on my Roush is post 18.

First off, be weary of a used SC. Why are they selling it? How many miles are on it? etc etc.

Second question, what are your plans for your car meaning down the road what would you like to be doing with it? Just an everyday driver? Everyday driver with the occasional track visit? Hard core Drag racing or Road Coirse? Answer all those questions.

Now the reason most don't like it because for one, it's a "Roots" style blower which is least efficient of the three. It also is one of if not the smallest SC on the markey at 1.4 Liters I think which limits what you can get out of it. Yes you can get close to 8-10 PSI but that's after you put a smaller pulley on it, CAI, and a tune. That will cost you somewhere around $1000 between the parts, the tune, and the tuner. Now you are at 5k not to mention whatever it will cost you to get it installed which is around if not more then some SC's that will give you what you are looking for out of the box.

Why 8 to 10 PSI? Why not 12, 15 or even 20?

IMO 4k is too much for a used one. You won't even get the best quality of it which is maintaining the 3/36000.
The supercharger is just for a daily driver, I don't go to drag strip or the tracks. Only reason I mention 8-10 boost is because I want to keep it moderate and not to grenade the engine. If I buy the use roushcharger, would it still have the 3yr/36,000 warranty still and would I be able to send my PCM to get it recal by roush? Thanks.
Old 9/29/07, 08:58 PM

Hey there I would be carefull about buying a used SC and I am not to sure about the warranty side of it . I would call Roush and ask them ,they answered all my questions before I bought our roushcharger. As for the PCM question I also recently changed out my gears and called Roush before hand and set things up between my dealership and Roush and my dealership sent my PCM to Roush to be recalibrated for the new gears.
Old 9/29/07, 10:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by mustangshadow
Hey there I would be carefull about buying a used SC and I am not to sure about the warranty side of it . I would call Roush and ask them ,they answered all my questions before I bought our roushcharger. As for the PCM question I also recently changed out my gears and called Roush before hand and set things up between my dealership and Roush and my dealership sent my PCM to Roush to be recalibrated for the new gears.

Def. call Roush first mainly for the warranty. I would v enture to say with a used SC it wouldn't keep the warranty. When you buy one of these new they come with a packet of info with a car for you to fill out with all of yours and your cars info, VIN, Mileage, etc. etc. You send that back to Roush and they enter your unit into their database. Buying a pre-owned unit, I don't know. Even a used unit you should be able to still send the PCM to them to get tuned, not sure what it would cost you. Their tunes run a bit rich and are on the "safer" side if you will.

If your car still has low mileage and time left on the factory warranty and Roush says the used one will still maintain the warranty then 4k is a steal. The Roush is also an ideal unit for your planned use of your car (daily driver with loads of fun factor) but the warranty is the key IMO. If not kept don't buy it, not worth it.
Old 9/30/07, 09:35 AM
Cobra Member

All other things being equal, at any given boost pressure the Roush roots type will not do as well as a screw type, which are more efficent. What that means is the charge air wlll be cooler with the screw type, and parasitic losses will be less because they make less heat.