GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Mustang mods and insurance

Search this Thread

Old 12/31/08, 09:39 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mustang mods and insurance

What insurance company are you guys using for your modified Mustangs here in Ontario? Is everyone just going the disclosure route and taking a chance or are there actually companies that will insure a newer modified car?My company won't insure any vehicle that has modifications that enhance performance.
Old 12/31/08, 06:01 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a good question. Has anyone wrecked or been in an accident and the insurance company denied the claim because the car was modified? I know Hagerty will insure modified cars, but they started asking questions when they saw the cage in my 1964 Mini. I had to swear I didn’t race it.
Old 1/1/09, 12:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

I totaled my car last xmas and it had a vortech on it, plus other mods. I had never claimed anything to the insurance company, but when I called them, I told them I had mods done and what my options were. They ended up giving me half the listed value for them.
Old 1/1/09, 04:53 PM
Cobra Member

i have never been in a accident with my vehicle and have needed my insurance company come to take a look at my vehicle, so far im lucky. *knock on wood*
Old 1/1/09, 05:00 PM
Bullitt Member

I think it boils down to the individual insurance company and the individual adjuster handling the claim. When my car was stolen my adjuster asked me if it was modified or customized because he said that there would be value for those items assessed along with the value of the vehicle. If that wasn't the case I would feel really bad for these guys with the crazy cars you see at HIN or SEMA if something were to happen to those cars.
Old 1/1/09, 05:24 PM
Cobra Member

unfortunately stuff like this happens in the world and its tough to deal with, Gone N 60 said it best- you have to feel bad for the people with the crazy cars like in SEMA if something was to happen to those car.

i have to admit that i get very worried about my car, especially being its not my daily driver and when im on my way home from work in my beater car i wonder if my car will be there when i get home. its sad to think that way but this stuff happens and if its meant to happen to you,there really nothing to do to avoid it.

best of luck to all you guys in this new year! hopefully its a nice calm year
Old 1/1/09, 09:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Keep receipts for everything. If the insurance won't cover it, there is a chance that the credit card you purchased the mods with will cover something. Progressive repaired my vehicle with other Ford OEM parts, so if wrecked again, they won't restore it to a GT, but a California special, but I don't think they will replace my Cervini hood except with a OEM one, but that was more anyway. But if the items are like Koni shocks, I only expect the cost of new OEM shocks. But again they can be MORE expensive than Koni ones, so take the check and replace them at that point with the left over cash.
Old 1/1/09, 11:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I switched insurance companies about a year ago. I used their online quote for my 05 GT. There was a question on the form asking about performance modifications. I first completed the request form answering NO to the question, then I did a second request form and answered YES, if I'm not mistaken the question also requested a dollar value for the vehicle with mods. Anyway, the difference between the no and yes answer was about $800 a year.

I didn't disclose the mods when I submitted the quote for processing. I believe most of my mod parts can be replaced for the same or less then OEM replacement parts. When you submit a claim for repairs, the insurance company looks at the estimate submitted and pays that amount. You can buy any replacement parts you want.

Case in point, I was at an automatic car wash, waiting behind a guy in a GMC pickup with daul exhaust which chrome extensions extending beyond the rear bumper. He rolled back into me and the right exhaust tip went up on top of my OEM bumper cutting two gouges in the bumper. I submitted a claim from the local Ford Body Shop to his insurance company and they paid the claim. The body shop ordered and installed a Street Scene front bumper and it was about $20 less than if I had use the OEM bumper.

Check several insurance companies online that have free quotes and compare prices.... the quote request form will more than likely ask about modifications.

Bobby M.