GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

JET Throttle Body Spacer - dyno'd!

Search this Thread

Old 8/6/05, 06:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As promised (long ago, I know - sorry), today I had the JET throttle body spacer installed and dyno'd before/after.

Reports has been that it has helped the "dead spot" - which shows up as a dip in the torque curve on a dyno - in the 2k-3k rpm area.

Dyno showed differently - torque curve with TBS followed the curve before. However, it did result in a 0.8 hp gain and an 11 ft-lb torque gain at 4k rpm. At peak hp, torque gain was 6 ft-lb.

Before: 293.1 hp, 300.5 ft-lb; After: 293.9 hp, 306.8 ft-lb.

SOTP test:

I don't know if its because they dyno in a different gear and each gear would have a different type of curve, but the car definitely felt less sluggish in first gear. Other than that, I wouldn't say I noticed a huge difference, although it is certainly pulling nice in the mid-range. Given the max ft-lb torque gain at 4k rpm, I'd give it a - 11 ft-lb of torque for $100 isn't bad. I'm also pleased with the feeling of the car, particularly in first gear. It feels like the car has lost 200 lbs on a launch.

A WORD ON INSTALL WITH JLT CAI

I was prepared to modify the JLT as necessary, perhaps cutting some rubber off the elbow, in order to fit the spacer in. As it turned out, it was unnecessary. Although my JLT was right up against the tank, after putting the spacer in, it was really just a matter of lifting up the CAI and resting it on top of the tank lip. The JLT has a lot of give, in terms of placement, especially up an down - I think anyone else with a JLT who installs will find it unnecessary to make any space-making modifications.

Also note that I did not disconnect the battery - impractical to have to go through a trim-learning session while on the dyno. Also note that you need not disconnect the electrical connectors - you can simply take the TB off and rest it elsewhere with them still attached.

My dyno chart is below - sorry that it's hard to read - their printer was out of red or something, so it printed out light. The numbers are as above.

I'll post pictures of the setup w/ JLT, too.
Old 8/6/05, 06:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not bad for $100 . . . . thanks for the update and dyno numbers Jack.
Old 8/6/05, 06:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

JLT setup.
Old 8/6/05, 07:09 PM
I talk to cones.

Originally posted by ILikeBond@August 6, 2005, 7:56 PM
JLT setup.

Looks good hopefully it will fit with the AFE Intake
Old 8/6/05, 07:41 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not to bad for $100. ill buy it
Old 8/6/05, 08:31 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by ILikeBond@August 6, 2005, 7:56 PM
JLT setup.
Thanks for the info. Very detailed.

Notice your picture compared to this one from nbk13nw shows there are two different versions out there.
Old 8/6/05, 08:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by StangNut@August 6, 2005, 9:34 PM
Thanks for the info. Very detailed.

Notice your picture compared to this one from nbk13nw shows there two different versions out there.

Heh. I have the fatty!
Old 8/6/05, 08:54 PM
FR500 Member

Very nice write up Jack and I am sure everyone appreciates your time & interest.
Old 8/7/05, 06:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Jack thanks for the pics - I ordered mine last week and was waiting for a JLT/TBS combo to be posted.
Old 8/7/05, 08:02 AM
Bullitt Member

That's initially the same way I installed mine, but it sure looked like it was touching the hood when it's closed. Cutting the rubber on mine to make more room won't work, or then it wouldn't clear the edge of the throttle body that sticks out.
Old 8/7/05, 08:34 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by ILikeBond@August 6, 2005, 6:37 PM
Heh. I have the fatty!
Actually, it appears that this rubber was installed correctly and yours wasnt. If it matters to you for more clearance I suggest you rotate it.

Anyways, where did you buy this spacer from?

-Dan
Old 8/7/05, 11:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Cleveland@August 7, 2005, 9:37 AM
Actually, it appears that this rubber was installed correctly and yours wasnt. If it matters to you for more clearance I suggest you rotate it.

Anyways, where did you buy this spacer from?

-Dan
Jack,

No to rain on your parade.....

you have the rubber tube installed backwards and upside down.
Old 8/7/05, 11:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks, guys. I'll have to fix that... Musta been a little too much... heh. Fortunately, I doubt it makes a difference in terms of performance. I still think my rubber elbow and tube look fatter, though, than that other pic. Maybe its just a matter of distance from the camera.

Cleveland, I got the spacer at RPM Outlet. There was some noise on these boards that they are backordered there now.

y22kc - how could you tell it was touching the hood? Did you look from underneath? Even if it was, as long as it wasn't be crushed by the hood, it seems like it'd be fine with the hood blanket to protect the paint and all. I'll take a closer look at mine today, but I didn't notice any hood clearance problems.

Edit: You know, since I do have the elbow on backward and the fit of the JLT seems to work for me, perhaps this is the mod necessary to install the TBS with the JLT, i.e., a solution by mistake. If so, it's a very simple one, at least. I just wonder, b/c my JLT's elbow seems to angle it back toward the driver a bit, which might help it clear the tank and give it some up/down movement versus it sticking out straight, more perpendicular to fender. I'll check it out today and report back.
Old 8/7/05, 11:43 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by ILikeBond@August 7, 2005, 10:23 AM

Edit: You know, since I do have the elbow on backward and the fit of the JLT seems to work for me, perhaps this is the mod necessary to install the TBS with the JLT, i.e., a solution by mistake. If so, it's a very simple one, at least. I just wonder, b/c my JLT's elbow seems to angle it back toward the driver a bit, which might help it clear the tank and give it some up/down movement versus it sticking out straight, more perpendicular to fender. I'll check it out today and report back.
Could be you have the JLT tube on correctly and the rest have it backwards.
Old 8/7/05, 11:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by ILikeBond@August 7, 2005, 12:23 PM

y22kc - how could you tell it was touching the hood? Did you look from underneath? Even if it was, as long as it wasn't be crushed by the hood, it seems like it'd be fine with the hood blanket to protect the paint and all. I'll take a closer look at mine today, but I didn't notice any hood clearance problems.

I don't know for sure it is, it just looked like it would be touching when the hood is closed. It definately is not crushing it, and the hood blanket would protect it. I just didn't know if it would harm aif flow if it is indeed touching.
Old 8/7/05, 12:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

For those that are painting the spacers, are you using normal Engine-type High heat paint?

TC
Old 8/7/05, 01:59 PM
Cobra Member

Hummm.... what happened to all the other people from the previous thread on this subject that were completely positive that the throttle body spacer was crap specifically designed to rip people off?

Thanks for the dyno ILB. I actually have been too busy to get over to my local shop to do some verify runs.
Old 8/7/05, 02:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by hawgman@August 7, 2005, 3:02 PM
Hummm.... what happened to all the other people from the previous thread on this subject that were completely positive that the throttle body spacer was crap specifically designed to rip people off?

Thanks for the dyno ILB. I actually have been too busy to get over to my local shop to do some verify runs.
Looks like it is legit, at least on these engines. Maybe it is the Drive by Wire?

Thanks Jack for the dyno info. My experience with this mod confirms that graph. What's really nice about that torque gain is that there is no HP loss, and there is a gain from idle to redline!
Old 8/7/05, 08:36 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't have a JLT so I'm only going by memory, but aren't the 2 ends of the rubber tube shaped differently? The TB end being oval and the other end being round.
If that's the case, you can't put it on backwards.

y22kc, what do you mean by it won't clear the front of the TB? Is there anyway to modify it so it looks like the smaller version? Do you think JLT would send you the smaller tube?
Old 8/8/05, 06:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by hawgman@August 7, 2005, 4:02 PM
Hummm . . . . not sure I ever called it "crap" but I'm still here and still with the same opinion. The way I see it, a gain of .8 rwhp is not even close to the claim of 8+ rwhp that RPM Outlet is advertising. You may see it differently.

Now, if the TBS is providing some other benefit to the members, that they determine justifies the cost of the TBS, then I'm happy for them and I respect the choice they made.

The Boss Hog

Quick Reply: JET Throttle Body Spacer - dyno'd!