GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

How to upload a tune file into your XCal2

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/06, 02:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
How to upload a tune file into your XCal2

This tutorial was written for the ‘First Timer’ dealing with Tunes that were e-mailed to them or received them on a CD and have no clue on how to upload them into their SCT XCal2 handheld tuner.

Note: Before you get started, be aware that you cannot download any of your existing tunes from the XCal2 handheld to your PC. Only your SCT Dealer (Tuner) can provide you with back-up copies of the tunes that you purchased.

From your CD or e-mail, download your tune(s) into your PC (remember the location where you download them).

Install the SCT Live Load 3 and the SCT Windows Drivers from the supplied CD. If you don’t have one, you can download the latest versions from the SCT website.

Plug in your XCal2 into an open USB port using the supplied cable (or if your printer/scanner utililizes a USB connection, unplug the USB cable from it, then plug it into the XCal2).

Once plugged in (for the first time), you’ll see ‘Found New Hardware’ message appear in the lower right taskbar and the XCal2 window will display the Main Menu.

Click open the Live Load program icon on your desktop. You’ll see a pop up window telling you to make sure the Main Menu is displayed in the XCal2. Click ‘OK’.

This is the main screen of Live Load. On top, it’ll display the 3 tunes (under File Position) you currently have stored in the 3 banks of the XCal2.

In Step 1 of the window, click ‘Browse’ button and go to the location where you saved your tunes. From my example shown, I have selected TJF1BillS91raceK_N.ll3. Click on the file you wish to upload then click ‘Open’.

Choose which File Position you want the new tune installed. It will replace whatever tune is currently in that bank. In my example, I chose File Position 1.
NOTE (per Doug's request): After completing the load for (in my example) Position 1 and you want to load a second or third file, you must move the black dot to Position 2 or 3.

Rename your Description for that File Position (15 characters max). I chose to name mine ’91 Race K&N’.

Once renamed, click on the ‘Add File’ button in Step 3. Now, just sit back and relax and let the computer do its thing. You can view the upload progress in the vertical bar on the right.

Below are some screenshots on the XCal2 as it erases the current file position and uploads the new tune file in its place.

When the upload is complete, the Live Load window will display ‘Programming was successful!!!’ and the XCal2 screen will go back to the Main Menu.

All that’s left is to unplug the USB cable from your XCal2 and close the Live Load program.
Old 10/6/06, 02:38 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AND here is how to...

This is how you may back up your factory tune off of the XCAL2:

You can save the "stock" tune off the Xcal2 using a program called Xc2dump.exe containted in the LiveLink install folder.

This may come n handy as well!
Russ
Old 10/6/06, 03:01 PM
mhk
Bullitt Member

Thanks guys. This will be handy for me in the future.
Old 10/6/06, 03:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yo Bill, that picture is quality stuff. It inspired me to steal it to use as my background, hope ya dont mind
Old 10/6/06, 05:23 PM
GTR Member

Excellent, Bill, excellent! I'm pretty computer savvy, but I'm sure this will come in handy to many people! It's nice to read through the process before actually doing it.

Originally Posted by GIG4FUN
This is how you may back up your factory tune off of the XCAL2:

You can save the "stock" tune off the Xcal2 using a program called Xc2dump.exe containted in the LiveLink install folder.

This may come n handy as well!
Russ
This will come in handy! Until now, I had no idea how to do this. Thanks, Russ.

EDIT: I just searched on my CD that came with the tuner and there is no file called Xc2dump.exe on it.
Old 10/6/06, 05:38 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Excellent, Bill, excellent! I'm pretty computer savvy, but I'm sure this will come in handy to many people! It's nice to read through the process before actually doing it.

EDIT: I just searched on my CD that came with the tuner and there is no file called Xc2dump.exe on it.
Perhaps it only comes in the Pro Racer Packaging then, (sorry).

My EDIT with a bit more for you !!:
If you download the LiveLink program, inside the directory (c: program files, SCT, SCTLiveLink3) there is a program called XC2dump.exe, this will pull a copy of your stock file off and save it as a .dat file.

Their file download page is here: http://www.sctflash.com/downloads.php

Now, I hope this helps!

Russ
Old 10/6/06, 06:08 PM
GT Member

Perhaps it only comes in the Pro Racer Packaging then, (sorry). My EDIT with a bit more for you !!:
If you download the LiveLink program, inside the directory (c: program files, SCT, SCTLiveLink3) there is a program called XC2dump.exe, this will pull a copy of your stock file off and save it as a .dat file.
Their file download page is here: http://www.sctflash.com/downloads.php
Yeah this is all fine and dandy but the end user can't restore with the backup files it makes. Best I can tell you'd have to mail those files off to your tuner dealer or sct themselves and maybe even the XCal device too. There is no way that end users can restore the files themselves. Seems halfway useless because say you got into a jam with your stock tune and your car would not start. You could not (on your own and at that moment) restore your stock tune from the backup files to the tuner. The current software does not provide a way to get those backup files back on to your tuner.
Old 10/6/06, 06:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Once you install the programs on the cd on to your computer you will find the xc2dump.exe in the sct folder that was created.
Old 10/6/06, 06:43 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Once you install the programs on the cd on to your computer you will find the xc2dump.exe in the sct folder that was created.
Oh, I see! It's extracted from a compressed file maybe? But now we have the problem mentioned above. Can we take that "useless" file and email it to Doug so he can email it back to us as a "useful" stock tune?
Old 10/6/06, 06:45 PM
GT Member

Oh, I see! It's extracted from a compressed file maybe? But now we have the problem mentioned above. Can we take that "useless" file and email it to Doug so he can email it back to us as a "useful" stock tune?
That is a question for Doug! How about you email him and ask it? I would sure "guess so".
Old 10/6/06, 06:48 PM
GTR Member

That is a question for Doug! How about you email him and ask it? I would sure "guess so".
I was on the phone with him today. He's backed up from his vacation trying to catch up on emails and tunes for customers. I'll give him a chance to catch his breath, and then early next week I'll email (or call) him to ask about this. I'll post what he tells me here, unless somebody knows the answer before I find out.
Old 10/6/06, 08:52 PM

Perhaps it only comes in the Pro Racer Packaging then, (sorry).
I located that Xc2dump.exe file from the SCT Forum. link

Might be easier than going through an install, then looking for it.
Old 10/6/06, 10:04 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
I located that Xc2dump.exe file from the SCT Forum. link

Might be easier than going through an install, then looking for it.
Either way, we have to figure out how to make the file we dump useable.
Old 10/7/06, 01:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

OK so here is a semi-related question, one I'd probably have to shoot to SCT, does this all work with a mac computer ?? I looked at the downloads page and didn't see anything obvious. I'd have to not be able to get an X-2 because I'm a mac user.
Old 10/7/06, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by habu
OK so here is a semi-related question, one I'd probably have to shoot to SCT, does this all work with a mac computer ?? I looked at the downloads page and didn't see anything obvious. I'd have to not be able to get an X-2 because I'm a mac user.
My guess is that you'll need a Windows emulator. Virtual PC for Mac may be your answer.
Old 10/7/06, 09:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

That's what I was afraid of... of course I could get a newer Intel mac and dual boot.

Thanks for the write up. I'm making your Do-It-Yourself list a favorite, there are so many good things in there.
Old 10/7/06, 03:30 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Taco - Mucho Gracias. I've been needing to get ahold of Brent (Brenspeed) for over a year now about redoing one of my tunes.
Thanks again Bill.
Old 10/7/06, 05:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Good Job Taco Bill
Old 1/28/07, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Just an FYI: The screen titled "Main Menu" no longer appears with the newer versions of Live Load.

When uploading tunes to your Xcal2, ignore the warning "Make sure it says Main Menu, then press ok.," but be sure "Program Vehicle" is highlighted before proceeding.

This info was found on sctflash.com forums after searching as to why the "Main Menu" was not found when I attempted to upload new tunes.

http://www.sctflash.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7430

BTW, thanks for another great H-T, Bill.