GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

How do you remove fuel rail & injectors?

Old 3/22/05, 06:56 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

I am trying to remove the fuel rails and injectors off of my 4.6 3V, and I am not sure how to do it. I remove the two little bolts that attach it to the intake, but then it won't just pull out of there. What needs to happen next? Anyone's help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Andy
Old 3/22/05, 07:14 PM
Cobra R Member

well usually the injectors have orings on them to seal them at both the rail and where they insert into the holes. So if you have all lines and bolts disconnected it is just a matter of using some little screw drivers as prybars to wiggle the rail/injectors out. I would try and wiggle them out of the intake instead of the rails. Leave them attached to rails if you can. good luck
Old 3/23/05, 08:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
per the CD-manual

Fuel Rail

Removal and Installation

WARNING: Do not smoke or carry lighted tobacco or open flame of any type when working on or near any fuel-related component. Highly flammable mixtures are always present and can be ignited. Failure to follow these instructions can result in personal injury.

WARNING: Fuel in the fuel system remains under high pressure, even when the engine is not running. Before working on or disconnecting any of the fuel lines or fuel system components, the fuel system pressure must be relieved. Failure to follow these instructions can result in personal injury.

Release the fuel system pressure. For additional information, refer to Section 310-00 .

Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01 .

Disconnect the fuel supply tube spring lock coupling. For additional information, refer to Section 310-00 .

Detach the 2 wiring harness retainers from the fuel rail stud bolts and position the harness aside.

Disconnect the fuel rail pressure and temperature sensor electrical connector and vacuum hose.

Disconnect the 8 fuel injector electrical connectors.

Remove the 4 fuel rail stud bolts.

To install, tighten to 10 Nm (89 lb-in).

Remove the fuel rail and fuel injectors as an assembly from the intake manifold.

NOTE: The fuel injector clip can be reused if it is not damaged during removal. If the clip is reused, the 2 sides of the clip should be squeezed back into shape by placing it between index finger and thumb.

Remove the retaining clips and fuel injectors from the fuel rail.

CAUTION: Use O-ring seals that are made of special fuel-resistant material. Use of ordinary O-ring seals can cause the fuel system to leak. Do not reuse the O-ring seals.

Remove and discard the fuel injector O-ring seals.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Lubricate the new upper and lower fuel injector O-ring seals with clean engine oil prior to installation.
Old 3/23/05, 10:12 AM
GT Member

Thanks for all of that helpful information. Now, how do you relieve the system of the pressure? Once I know that, it should all be cake. Thanks again.

-Andy
Old 3/24/05, 08:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Again, per the CD manual:

Fuel System Pressure Release

WARNING: Do not smoke or carry lighted tobacco or open flame of any type when working on or near any fuel-related component. Highly flammable mixtures are always present and may be ignited, resulting in possible personal injury.

WARNING: Fuel in the fuel system remains under high pressure even when the engine is not running. Before servicing or disconnecting any of the fuel lines or fuel system components, the fuel system pressure must be relieved to prevent accidental spraying of fuel, causing personal injury or a fire hazard.

WARNING: Do not carry personal electronic devices such as cell phones, pagers or audio equipment of any type when working on or near any fuel-related components. Highly flammable mixtures are always present and may be ignited. Failure to follow these instructions can result in personal injury.

Remove the fuel pump relay. For fuel pump relay location, refer to Wiring Diagrams.

Start the engine and allow it to idle until it stalls.

After the engine stalls, crank the engine for approximately 5 seconds to make sure the fuel injection supply manifold pressure has been released.

Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

When fuel system service is complete, install the fuel pump relay.

NOTE: It may take more than one key cycle to pressurize the fuel system.

Cycle the ignition key and wait 3 seconds to pressurize the fuel system. Check for leaks before starting the engine.

Start the vehicle and check the fuel system for leaks.

On the other hand, I have disconnected the Inertia switch on my T-Bird to get the same result.

Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01 .

Remove the Left Hand door sill plate.

Remove the LH lower A-pillar trim panel.
Remove the pin-type retainer and the trim panel.

Disconnect the inertia fuel shutoff (IFS) switch electrical connector

To install, reverse the removal procedure.