GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Hood scoop install

Search this Thread

Old 5/16/07, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Hood scoop install

Hello,,

This is my first post and I look forward to many more.....anyway, Friday evening I am buying a 2005 GT convertible, 5-speed and want to install a Roush hood scoop, has anyone here done it? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

This will be just the first of many mods I want to perform, BTW, this will be my ninth Mustang!! I have been driving them since 1978!!

Thank you!!

Mike
Old 5/16/07, 12:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mike ... I don't have the scoop , but I sure someone who does will chime in ...
Old 5/16/07, 01:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Not a fan of the roush scoop, but I cant imagine 7 holes being too hard to drill. If you don't want to risk it have a good body shop do it
Old 5/16/07, 03:22 PM
Cobra R Member

I don't have the Roush, but I did drill several holes for my Boss 429 scoop...

tape off the area to be drilled, use a center punch to keep the drill bit from traveling, and MEASURE MEASURE MEASURE!!!

I think the Roush comes with a template, too.
Old 5/16/07, 03:35 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For a little extra money ($500 more) you could buy a trufiber hood with built in functional hood scoop. The hood scoop looks very similiar to the Roush one.
Old 5/16/07, 03:48 PM

Thank you guys for the nice welcome, hmmmm.......Ya' know I really like the car with the old Boss 429 hoodscoop, that looks really good, even better than the Roush!!!!
Thanks for the input guys, not sure what direction I want to take, who sells the Boss style scoop so I can compare prices.

Thanks again guys.

Mike
Old 5/16/07, 04:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by threetwos
Thank you guys for the nice welcome, hmmmm.......Ya' know I really like the car with the old Boss 429 hoodscoop, that looks really good, even better than the Roush!!!!
Thanks for the input guys, not sure what direction I want to take, who sells the Boss style scoop so I can compare prices.

Thanks again guys.

Mike
this one looks similar to mine...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...spagenameZWDVW

or here:

http://store.cal-mustang.com/showdetl-7-9174-25-0.html
Old 5/16/07, 06:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks again guys.

Mike
thats the problem mike - theres too many things that can be done - its hard to pick which ones you really want to do (ok.. i really WANT a sc for the car but dont think ill go that route - but you know what i mean)

whatever you choose - post pics so others can see the difference
Old 5/16/07, 06:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello Mike,
Welcome

I have done the Roush install. Here is what I can tell you.....

The template supplied by Roush is excellent. It centers on the washer nozzles, which makes the back side very easy to center. Just measure for your center line of your hood about 6 times, to be sure, and mark the center in the front for securing the template.

Tips...

1. The hood drills very easy as it is aluminum. That said, I did not use a traditional center punch to mark the hood, as I was worried about denting. I used a very sharp awl, kinda drilled by hand with the awl, through the clearcoat and paint, then used a pilot bit for the seven holes. Then I stepped up to the proper size bit.

2. Make sure you cover your engine bay with a blanket, sheet, plastic, something...The aluminum shavings go everywhere.

3. Along that same line, do not brush the shavings off the top of the hood by hand. They will scratch your paint in a heartbeat. Use either a compressor air hose, or, buy a can of compressed air made for computers, and blow the shavings off that way...

4. When you remove the under hood blanket, use an old dinner fork, separate the center tines a bit, and use that to remove the plastic pin fasteners. Works very well....Note, remove the blanket PRIOR to drilling...

5. Enjoy!!

Mike

Last edited by Got Oatz; 3/7/08 at 02:54 PM.
Old 5/16/07, 10:55 PM

Thank you so much for the information guys, those details are going to really help, it's been a long time since I installed a hood scoop on one of my cars, it was a 70 Torino and I did it back in the late 70s. I can't beleive all the options available out there. I am like a kid in a candy store with this car, going to pick it up on Friday night.

The car just screams for a hood scoop in my opinion but at the same time I wish it was a spoiler delete car, just like that look.

I will post some pictures this weekend......Thanks again guys for the great response!! I think I found a home here :-)

Mike
Old 5/17/07, 05:48 PM
Cobra R Member

a body shop can arrange for the spoiler delete to happen, No idea where your from, but maybe someone on here casn recommend a good shop if you let people know where you are from
Old 5/17/07, 09:40 PM

Located in Warrenville, Illinois.

Picking up the car tomorrow in the afternoon, I'm like a kid before x-mas

Thanks again.

Mike
Old 6/17/07, 08:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Question..... Can't you just use 3M tape instead of drilling? Is that a possibility?
Old 6/18/07, 06:00 AM
V6 Member

I installed the Rousch scoop on my 05 GT and I'm hear to tell you that if you use only 3M tape at 80 mph or higher you will find it flying off the hood and landing some where down the road.You need both the tape and the 7 bolts. The front of the scoop is a solid piece of molded urethane and the pressure againt it will try and force it up.
Old 6/18/07, 07:54 AM

Thanks for the response but it depends on the scoop, some use only the tape while other's use both tape and bolts. I ended up buying the Roush hood scoop, just got it last week and hopefully will be on the car by the end of the month.

Thanks again!!

Mike
Old 6/18/07, 09:47 AM
GT Member

Thanks for the response but it depends on the scoop, some use only the tape while other's use both tape and bolts. I ended up buying the Roush hood scoop, just got it last week and hopefully will be on the car by the end of the month.

Thanks again!!

Mike
May I suggest that you use an (automatic) center punch...it is spring loaded and will not dent the hood but leaves a great spot to drill without "walking" I used this to install a Roush scoop on a prior hood with excellent results
Old 6/18/07, 03:33 PM

Thank you so much for the tip, I will go and buy one!!! If anyone else has a tip I'm all ears.........

Thank you again!!

Mike
Old 6/18/07, 05:05 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I installed mine! I didn't use a auto punch but it sure cant hurt! just take your time and be very precise in placing the template! I would still use a smaller bit for a pilot hole!!
Attached Thumbnails Hood scoop install-mvc-040s.jpg  
Old 6/18/07, 06:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by blkstang06
I installed mine! I didn't use a auto punch but it sure cant hurt! just take your time and be very precise in placing the template! I would still use a smaller bit for a pilot hole!!

Your Roush hood scoop looks great. So does you SS centered fog light grill. So how many brewskys did it take to get up the nerve to put the drill to the hood?
Old 6/18/07, 09:37 PM

Thanks guys, Yes.......drilling into that hood does spook me a bit.

Quick Reply: Hood scoop install