GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Help - Flowmaster selection questio

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/11, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help - Flowmaster selection questio

I am planning on ordering a set of flowmasters this week. Can't decide between the 817410 or the 817460. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on these? Also ... I am probably going to order the Ford Racing X-pipe with the Flows ... Any thoughts about the combo? Thanks!
Old 2/21/11, 05:57 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wasn't a huge fan of the American Thunders when I had them. They sounded pretty good with just the mufflers (Barely louder than stock tho) but When I added highflow cats to open up the exhaust it turned to rasp. If I were to go flows I would go with the super 44's and Catted H. Flows with an X on these cars is rasp city aslo..
Old 2/21/11, 08:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have got the Flowmaster American Thunder Classic (the square style mufflers, ends in 460) on mine with a Pypes off road H pipe and it sounds very nice!

Yes, I agree with the previous post that X pipes tend to be raspy on these cars.

My set up right now does trumpet and drone a little......Flowies are known for this......but apparently adding on a set of headers will usually solve the problem and even make the car sound more aggressive. I am going to putting on a set of JBA shorties in this year. The square Flowies like the ones I have are louder than the rounded ones.
Old 2/22/11, 11:05 AM
Bullitt Member

I had the American Thunders with a Bassani catted X and I thought they sounded good, no rasp. When the baffle inside went out, I switched to the Pype's Pype Bomb deletes... quite a bit louder but deeper(there is some drone, but I like it ). I much prefer the sound of Pypes. Best suggestion for you is to try to find someone who has what you are interested in and listen to them in person, don't rely on vids as they dont usually do the exhaust justice. Sound is a personal choice, what some people consider terrible sounding others think is perfect. Good luck in your choice!
Old 2/22/11, 02:47 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedRacer
I had the American Thunders with a Bassani catted X and I thought they sounded good, no rasp. When the baffle inside went out, I switched to the Pype's Pype Bomb deletes... quite a bit louder but deeper(there is some drone, but I like it ). I much prefer the sound of Pypes. Best suggestion for you is to try to find someone who has what you are interested in and listen to them in person, don't rely on vids as they dont usually do the exhaust justice. Sound is a personal choice, what some people consider terrible sounding others think is perfect. Good luck in your choice!
I love my pypes mid muffler! Time to udate the sig...