Go Back   The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang by Model Year > 2005-2009 Mustang > 05-09 Modifications > GT Performance Mods
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Welcome to The Mustang Source!
Welcome to The Mustang Source,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 6/23/12, 4:17 PM   #1

luis

06 mustang gt
Front lower control ams & front outer tie rod's

So I took my stang to the dealer today & they told me I needed front control arms & tie rod's.. So I need some input in this I want to get something high performance anybody know of a good brand, price??
Luii 06stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6/23/12, 5:30 PM   #2
Bullitt Member

Wait, what? What happened that you need to replace these? Did you hit something? and damage them, did they try to do an alignment and found the tie rods worn/damaged? Something doesnt sound right here.
You typically wouldnt replace your front control arms unless damaged or you are modifying for racing and want lighter components, which may not necessarily be a good choice for a daily driver. You can replace the front and rear bushing on the stock front lower control arm, the rear is a ***** but not impossible, and you can upgrade to say, a Steeda X5 ball joint, but if you arent significantly lowered and running larger tires or changing the geometry then stock should do fine, assuming they need replacing at all.

Last edited by Womprat; 6/23/12 at 5:34 PM.
Womprat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6/23/12, 11:39 PM   #3

luis

06 mustang gt
Well for some reason, they told me that one part on the control arm was ****ed up & supposedly that part usually needs to be replace with the whole control arm( sorry I forgot what the part was called) my car is lower with eibachs tho so I wanna get the best parts available. I really don't wanna be spending $$ for the same parts again
Old 6/23/12, 11:42 PM   #4

luis

06 mustang gt
Yea tie rods are worn out
Old 6/24/12, 12:51 AM   #5
Bullitt Member

Control arms are a typical a steel stamping or welded steel assembly. There are rubber bushings to mount to the body and a ball joint that attaches to the spindle/steering knuckle. There isn't much too them. You'd know if you bent one. The rubber bushings can wear out but it takes a lot of miles. Ford ball joints are supposed to last like 250K miles. Often these components can be replaced, but the labor involved is probably better to get control arm assemblies.

tie rod ends eventually get too much play in them and need to be replaced.
97GT12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6/25/12, 2:07 PM   #6
Mach 1 Member

There are a number of aftermarket front control arms out there. They can be purchased with taller ball joints for lowered cars and bump steer kits replace the tie rod ends for lowered cars. I particularly like the effect of the urethane front lower control arm rear bushing along with a caster/camber kit for sharpening up steering response and feed back.
908ssp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6/25/12, 6:44 PM   #7
Bullitt Member

BMR has a nice selection. I replaced the bushings on mine and run X5 ball joints, I think as a daily driver if I hit something the OEM control arm would take it better than a lighter one, but who knows the argument could go either way. Just odd they werent more specific.
Old 6/25/12, 8:03 PM   #8

luis

06 mustang gt
Thanks guys, now the problem is that the steeda x5 ball joints need 18" wheels for clearance (that's what the page says) & I have 17" bullit is that a problem, (I know stupid question right?) I'm just not familiar with things like this.this is my first car I just wanna know a lil better & thanks for the input
Old 6/30/12, 5:50 PM   #9
Cobra R Member

I went from stock to Steeda X5's on stock to BMR tubular. Gotta say the BMRs do feel rather lively, but the extra NVH and occasional squeaking/groaning of the Delrin bushings makes me sometimes wish I had just got more X5's. It's a matter of preference. The BMR pieces are SOLID, don't get me wrong as they are definitely a quality product. But they were made more for performance than daily driver use.

Here is a post I did last year when I went from stock arms/X5 joints over to the BMRs:
http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...2/#post6139997

I never had issues with the X5's on my stock 17" bullitts (I switch back in the winter), but the clearance was definitely close..maybe within an inch of the wheel.
Summer: Nitto NT555 245/45R18 f & 275/40R18, Konig Stampede's
Cosmetic: CDC Agressive chin spoiler, Shelby CS6 hood, GT500 bumper, painted stripes, Interior: whole lotta aluminum.
Future: Hmmm....
06 Tungsten Gray GT Coupe, 5spd manual, Interior Upgrade Package, Active Anti-theft

Last edited by Cavero; 6/30/12 at 5:50 PM. Reason: helps if I include the link
Cavero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/1/12, 2:33 PM   #10
Bullitt Member

Negative, ghostrider, I run 17 winter wheels and the bullets worked fine, like Cavero said, unless you refer to Bullitt rims not the stock GT. No issue with those or stock GT rims(5 spoke).
Old 7/1/12, 2:47 PM   #11
Cobra R Member

Nope, I was referring to the stock 5-spoke wheels, which were called "Bullitt" wheels before the actual Bullitt edition S197 came out in 08
Summer: Nitto NT555 245/45R18 f & 275/40R18, Konig Stampede's
Cosmetic: CDC Agressive chin spoiler, Shelby CS6 hood, GT500 bumper, painted stripes, Interior: whole lotta aluminum.
Future: Hmmm....
06 Tungsten Gray GT Coupe, 5spd manual, Interior Upgrade Package, Active Anti-theft
Cavero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/2/12, 8:00 PM   #12
Mach 1 Member

06 GT
The ball joints are listed as "not replacealbe" and the A-arm comes with new ones installed as they are pressed.

That being said, I had Moog ball joints installed in my stock A-arms and they are much better than stock.

I think the key is to do what is necessary to accommodate your lowering springs. Anything over 1.5" of drop is going to need some steering geometry fixes.

Steeda has a full line of stuff to make any drop correct for roll center. I have my favorite vendors, but just support the advertising vendors on the forum you find most informative.
shaun_beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/2/12, 8:00 PM