GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Ford Racing Strut Brace

Search this Thread

Old 1/24/07, 12:17 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Ford Racing Strut Brace

I am having the Handling Pak installed on my 2005 Mustang GT on Thursday. I know the strut brace will not clear my intake cover. My question is I am going to have the Ford Racing Supercharger installed in the next few weeks. Does that strut brace clear the wipple supercharger? If it does not does any strut brace clear the wipple supercharger?
Eric
Old 1/24/07, 01:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
No, the FRPP strut tower brace will NOT clear any supercharger. There isn't enough room.

You don't need a strut tower brace anyway. I didn't notice any difference when I installed mine - I call it a "looks" mod only.
Old 1/24/07, 09:16 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
The S197 chassis is quite refined and rigid compared to the Fox chassis from 79-04. The 07 GTs supposedly got thicker sheet metal and extra welds for an even stiffer chassis. I can tell you that I used to think my modified Crown Vic suspension (Edelbrock IAS shocks, Addco anti-roll bars, polyurethane sway bar bushings, etc...) felt rough on bad roughs, but the 07 GT takes the cake (harsh ride quality).
Old 1/25/07, 07:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Take it from personal experience it will not fit. I installed the FRPP suspension pack and then the FRPP Supercharger about a month later and had to remove the Strut tower. I'm sorry because I loved the way it looked.

If anyones interested I have it sitting in my garage, its brand new make me an offer!!!

By the way the FRPP/Whipple Super Charger kicks butt. I dusted a WRX-STi last night!!!!!
Old 1/25/07, 08:11 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
You don't need a strut tower brace anyway. I didn't notice any difference when I installed mine - I call it a "looks" mod only.
I'm surprised you didn't notice a difference, especially with the vert. I noticed a little better turning response, and overall better "feel." Maybe that was my mind thinking it was better, but it definitely didn't hurt handling.

But, I agree that part of the mod is for the visual attraction when the hood is up.
Old 1/25/07, 08:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
I too felt like the car was a little tighter with thge strut tower brace .... who knows for sure tho. If you get shorter motor mounts will the brace fit then ..... that is with the s/c on there also?
Old 1/25/07, 03:23 PM
V6 Member

elwhit95 -

Please write a review of the FRPP suspension after you have driven it for a bit - I can't decide between the FRPP and the Roush. Please let us know what you think.
Old 1/26/07, 12:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Cool differance

If you dont notice a differance with the strut tower brace installed

YOU ARE NOT DRIVING IT HARD ENOUGH LMAO LMAO

I noticed a diff. the first minute I drove it . And the Ingalls eng. brace clears the factory intake cover . If you look back to some of my previous posts you can see some pics .
Old 1/26/07, 06:36 PM
GT Member

I have to agree on that. I plan to go driving this weekend on some of the back roads around here so I'll know then how things have changed

Originally Posted by fordcrazy
If you dont notice a differance with the strut tower brace installed

YOU ARE NOT DRIVING IT HARD ENOUGH LMAO LMAO

I noticed a diff. the first minute I drove it . And the Ingalls eng. brace clears the factory intake cover . If you look back to some of my previous posts you can see some pics .
Old 1/26/07, 06:39 PM
Cobra R Member

well, you could go with a vortex or paxton, that would still clear the brace.
Old 1/26/07, 10:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by A-Rex
elwhit95 -

Please write a review of the FRPP suspension after you have driven it for a bit - I can't decide between the FRPP and the Roush. Please let us know what you think.
Here's an excerpt from an article I found on a back 2 back road/track test of the Shelby GT and GT500, the Shelby GT has the FR3 handling pack installed....

Where the Shelby GT really rose to the occasion is on the road course. We hate to say it, but the car felt considerably faster on it’s feet, more willing to play, and able to deliver speed easier than the GT-500 did. This perception is really attributed to the fact that the Shelby GT has the handling prowess that allows you to use every bit of its 325 horsepower. The car was easily tossed about left and right, stopping and accelerating from apex to apex like a light switch. On-off-on-off-on-off. The Ford Racing suspension is really well tuned for aggressive auto-crossing and well balanced. It still had an OEM feel, but was firm enough to get the job done. There was little or no under steer and with the computer doing its part, only enough over steer to allow you to say you kicked it out for a moment. From the stands it makes you look like Parnelli Jones.

In comparing these two cars on handling we have to give some consideration to the fact that the GT-500 we tested was indeed a convertible which as mentioned before is more softly sprung. While the Shelby GT has the 175 horsepower deficit, it has a much stiffer and track ready suspension, weighs over 500 lbs less and had the benefit of a coupe’s stiffer body structure.

Link to whole article

themustangnews
Old 1/28/07, 12:51 AM
GT Member

I finally got to drive my car today before the weather well all the heck. In a word WOW. Beyond a shadow of a doubt I could tell a major change. I am having to relearn how to dive this car. The steering is way more controled. The ride is somewhat bumpier than the standard suspesnsion. Overall it was well worth the money and the foundation the the FRPP supercharging going in next month.