GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FAYS2 Watts link

Search this Thread

Old 10/17/08, 05:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAYS2 Watts link

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone here has a fays2 watts link? Looks like an easy to install watts link.

Any pros and cons?

I was considering the saleen one, but I don't have all the equipment necessary to do the work myself, and also the price seems a bit too steep.

Suggestions?

I would love to hear from someone who put one in their car.
Old 10/27/08, 12:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Bump?

Watts link anyone?
Old 10/27/08, 05:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I prefer the saleen/JDM watts link. But thats just me
Old 10/27/08, 01:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

steeda also has one cost versus toughness if you are not going to race it go with the cheapiest
Old 10/27/08, 09:45 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,985 Likes on 1,609 Posts
I'm looking into either Steeda's Watts linkage along with Fay's 2 Watts Link, and I'm definitely considering Grigg's Watts link as well.

What I really like about the Grigg's setup, is it's designed similar to Saleen's Watts link version, however it's not nearly as expensive.

In the meantime, I've posted links of each Watts setup to examine for yourselves.

http://www.steeda.com/products/steed..._link_s197.php

http://www.fays2.net/fays2_watts_link_11_.html

http://www.griggsracing.com/index.ph...4328_2040_3680

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/28/08 at 04:25 AM.
Old 10/28/08, 02:21 AM
Bullitt Member

I actually like fays2 allot more. It looks tougher than any of the other options. The saleen looks flimsy to me and the steeda looks like a cheaper version of the fays link. The reason I have been thinking about the fays is because its the prefered link for the gt500 cars, team shelby loves it. They seem to think its very well designed and durable in a car that weighs in 500lb more. Not to mention the fays is fully adjustable to any ride height.
Old 10/28/08, 03:59 PM
Cobra Member

look for the thread with the broken fays... I haven't seen/heard of a saleen breaking as of yet...
Old 10/28/08, 04:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

I know, I have only about 3 posts on this site.... So make of this what you will.

I haven't seen this thread about the broken Fays2 unit. I can say I've sold a number of them for a few different cars and have had zero issue with any sort of breakage. And we *use* them hard in situations that exceed 1.2 lateral g's. That said, I can't say I haven't seen something break no matter what the part is or who made it. It's pretty impossible for someone, somewhere to not be able to break something.

As one who sells parts, and not only uses, but beats on the parts I use I can tell you that I think the Fays2 unit is every bit as good, if not quite as light, as the Steeda unit. I won't speak to the Griggs unit. I'm sure it's fine, they all do the same thing. I'm personally not crazy about the lateral load being put through the differential cover.
Old 10/28/08, 05:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rony1976
look for the thread with the broken fays... I haven't seen/heard of a saleen breaking as of yet...
It was the Lakewood unit that broke, not the Fays.
Attached Thumbnails FAYS2 Watts link-lakewood-broken-watts.jpg  

Last edited by Import-Slaya; 10/28/08 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10/28/08, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by jaguarking11
I actually like fays2 allot more. It looks tougher than any of the other options. The saleen looks flimsy to me and the steeda looks like a cheaper version of the fays link. The reason I have been thinking about the fays is because its the prefered link for the gt500 cars, team shelby loves it. They seem to think its very well designed and durable in a car that weighs in 500lb more. Not to mention the fays is fully adjustable to any ride height.
Bruno, would you happen to know if the Steeda unit is also fully adjustable to any ride height ?
Old 10/29/08, 01:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Bruno, would you happen to know if the Steeda unit is also fully adjustable to any ride height ?
The steeda unit looks to be adjustable as well.

The saleen unit requires a certain ride height to do its job properly. I believe it requires saleen springs. That puts it out of my consideration because I have to keep the 4x4 look of the car because My car is a DD and will certainly bottom out during my drive to work through brooklyn.

There are two things I don't like about the steeda unit. Price is a major concern, and also the link mounts that attach to the axle look to be of stamped box steel. The fays looks like its more solid and the mounts look like they are less likely to slip and or bite too hard in the axle.

It looks like I will get the fays2 unit. Now I have to wait for my bonus to come in. Should be in my car by next spring.
Old 10/29/08, 02:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

let us know how it handles and how hard/easy it is to install
Old 10/29/08, 03:03 PM
Service Manager

Received 430 Likes on 208 Posts
I am a Griggs Racing dealer/installer if you have any questions about their setup. I've used Griggs on one SVO since 2000 and it's fantastic. We are currently installing the Griggs setup on both the '67 Convertible project we are building and an '05 GT.

Here is a picture from the '05(just prior to finished installation).
Attached Thumbnails FAYS2 Watts link-griggssus-002.jpg  
Old 10/29/08, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by jaguarking11
The steeda unit looks to be adjustable as well.

The saleen unit requires a certain ride height to do its job properly. I believe it requires saleen springs. That puts it out of my consideration because I have to keep the 4x4 look of the car because My car is a DD and will certainly bottom out during my drive to work through brooklyn.

There are two things I don't like about the steeda unit. Price is a major concern, and also the link mounts that attach to the axle look to be of stamped box steel. The fays looks like its more solid and the mounts look like they are less likely to slip and or bite too hard in the axle.

It looks like I will get the fays2 unit. Now I have to wait for my bonus to come in. Should be in my car by next spring.
Bruno, after reading over your latest post. It looks as though the Fays 2 unit will be my first choice, followed by the Griggs unit, as my second choice.

In the meantime, both your feedback, and advice have been very helpful.

-Rocky

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/29/08 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10/29/08, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by svopaul
I am a Griggs Racing dealer/installer if you have any questions about their setup. I've used Griggs on one SVO since 2000 and it's fantastic. We are currently installing the Griggs setup on both the '67 Convertible project we are building and an '05 GT.

Here is a picture from the '05(just prior to finished installation).
Paul, as a matter of fact. I do have have one major concern about the Griggs unit. My concern is this: I'm also not a fan of the lateral load being put through the differential cover either. And even though the Griggs unit uses a bracket on it's differential cover, whose to say there still couldn't be too much load/stress placed upon the differential cover itself

I also have one other concern as well. Is the Griggs unit also fully adjustable to any ride height ? Or does it require lowering the suspension.

In the meantime, thanks for all your feedback and support in advance.

-Rocky

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/29/08 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10/30/08, 03:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Bruno, after reading over your latest post. It looks as though the Fays 2 unit will be my first choice, followed by the Griggs unit, as my second choice.

In the meantime, both your feedback, and advice have been very helpful.

-Rocky
Well I am glad to have helped. I was quite pissed when ford did not build a proper IRS for the stang this model. I was thinking of having a cobra unit with explorer shafts and pumpkin grafted in by a proper shop. However even that seemed a dead end. Then after much research, I stumbled on to the watts links, I never knew they even existed. It makes sense as a device. I think this car would handle very well due to the stiff body, it just needs a proper suspension underneath. If I had very deep pockets, there would be a full jaguar rear diff with inboard brakes and fully adjustable double wishbones for the rear and double wishbones in the front with coil over shocks. However since I don't have deep pockets, then a watts link seems like the best alternative.

Time will tell, if the hype about these watts links is 1/2 true then I will be one heall of a happy camper. At the very least it should get rid of the side to side scudle of the car and even up the suspension geometry.
Old 10/30/08, 01:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Watts links are superior to PHB's, and they do settle the back of the car quite a lot.

That said, the shocks are the bigger issue, and stock ones toss the back of S197's around a lot more then the PHB does. I see this every day driving my car with Koni's on it vs. my girlfriend's on OEM shocks with all the same springs, bars, and PHB.

I have a Watts coming for my other car. As it is I can't put one on my GT because I can't due to rules for autocrossing in the class the car is setup for. But if and when I change classes and move my GT to ESP like my Camaro is, it will have a Fays2 Watts in it.

In short, a Watts matters. But if you don't have good dampers, that's the first step (and a great set isn't a lot more than the Watts). Combined they are even better.
Old 10/30/08, 02:19 PM
Service Manager

Paul, as a matter of fact. I do have have one major concern about the Griggs unit. My concern is this: I'm also not a fan of the lateral load being put through the differential cover either. And even though the Griggs unit uses a bracket on it's differential cover, whose to say there still couldn't be too much load/stress placed upon the differential cover itself

I also have one other concern as well. Is the Griggs unit also fully adjustable to any ride height ? Or does it require lowering the suspension.

In the meantime, thanks for all your feedback and support in advance.

-Rocky
Rocky, Who's to say.....about 1,000 or more Griggs customers who are racing/driving on them today. Bruce Griggs hit a wall at over 100mph hitting the LR wheel first and the design is that the bell crank will sheer in a stituation like that and the cover has always survived(they even reused the cover from that car on another even though the car itself was totalled. The Griggs unit also has a dowel pin kit that is part of the unstall which keeps the rear end cover from moving around at all.

The unsprung weight is less and the roll centers are in the right place and rock steady.

There has never been a failure with the watts bell crank being mounted on the differential cover.

As far as adjustability, yes...The griggs will work at other ride heights and does not require lowering. There are different springs...track and street so if you want to do both seriously you might consider that option of having both as it takes little to swap them back and forth....if you are just street driven and occasional track then you may not find the need for track springs.

If you are going to consider this type of suspension then I would strongly suggest giving Griggs a call and talking with Bruce Griggs....very nice guy and he will answer every question you have and then some without hesitation.
Old 10/30/08, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by svopaul
Rocky, Who's to say.....about 1,000 or more Griggs customers who are racing/driving on them today. Bruce Griggs hit a wall at over 100mph hitting the LR wheel first and the design is that the bell crank will sheer in a stituation like that and the cover has always survived(they even reused the cover from that car on another even though the car itself was totalled. The Griggs unit also has a dowel pin kit that is part of the unstall which keeps the rear end cover from moving around at all.

The unsprung weight is less and the roll centers are in the right place and rock steady.

There has never been a failure with the watts bell crank being mounted on the differential cover.

As far as adjustability, yes...The griggs will work at other ride heights and does not require lowering. There are different springs...track and street so if you want to do both seriously you might consider that option of having both as it takes little to swap them back and forth....if you are just street driven and occasional track then you may not find the need for track springs.

If you are going to consider this type of suspension then I would strongly suggest giving Griggs a call and talking with Bruce Griggs....very nice guy and he will answer every question you have and then some without hesitation.
Thanks Paul, as I'll definitely be giving Bruce a call. But it's still going to be difficult in making a final decision, as I'm also very impressed with the Fays 2 unit as well.

In the meantime, perhaps you can also point out the pro's and con's between the Fays 2, and Griggs unit designs as well.
Old 10/31/08, 06:58 AM
Service Manager

Thanks Paul, as I'll definitely be giving Bruce a call. But it's still going to be difficult in making a final decision, as I'm also very impressed with the Fays 2 unit as well.

In the meantime, perhaps you can also point out the pro's and con's between the Fays 2, and Griggs unit designs as well.

The BEST thing I can suggest is that at the very least you get a ride in cars equipped with each. I have seen the FAYS2 system in person and was interested in looking into it and may still try it on a vehicle but Griggs has such a long standing record of excellence and I've had the GR40 system on an SVO for 8 years now and it is unbelievable!!! That's why I suggest you getting a ride in equipped cars because no words can describe what this system does for your car.

I can't comment much on the FAYS2 system because I have not used it....which is why I may test one on one of my own vehicles for comparison. The price is good but I am hard pressed to ignore the old "you get what you pay for" theory. FAYS2 is relative new on the market while Griggs has been around for a very long time. I can say that the whole "lateral stress on the rear end cover" for competing systems is false information.

Again though.....MOST important would be for you to ride in equipped vehicles to get a feel for yourself .

Quick Reply: FAYS2 Watts link