GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Factory GT500 strut tower brace

Search this Thread

Old 12/13/07, 09:32 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Factory GT500 strut tower brace

So what is the verdict on using a factory GT500 strut tower brace on a 07 GT with the factory plenum cover and stock hood?

I have heard some people managed to fit the GT500's STB, others claim the hood won't close or there is significant interference, etc...

What is the factory part number on the GT500's STB?
Old 12/13/07, 10:55 AM
GTR Member

The cost of a BMR and Strange are nearly $200+, while the factory GT500 bar is about $30-$50+ depending on where you buy it from.

I like how Strange actually conducted and posted results of FEA showing how their bar only has stress points at the mounting locations, whereas the bar that looks like the Granatelli was bending in the center. The double-bar (similar to the granatelli and FRPP bar) had less stresses in the center, but nonetheless isn't as rigid as the Strange. The BMR plenum-compatible bar looks to have the same problem as the Granatelli bar where stresses would be introduced at the "bends" in the center, rendering it less effective than the Strange.

The GT500 factory bar appears to be of a similar design to the Strange, and without a shadow of a doubt the factory conducts FEA on their suspension/chassis components so they know exactly what is "proven" and what is not proven.

The question remains, what is the final verdict on using the GT500 factory STB on a 05-up GT with the stock hood and the stock intake manifold plenum/engine appearance cover? Will it work, or will it not work? What is required to make it work? Let's hear your reviews.
Old 12/13/07, 01:40 PM
GTR Member

One person on another board reports that his 06 GT accepted the GT500 STB with the bar mounted "forward", while his buddy needed washers in the back to angle it more forward. His 06 GT hoodliner shows indentations but his hood closes fine and there's a lot of clearance between the plenum cover and bar.

Let's hear some success/failure stories so we can hopefully bust this myth or prove it is plausible.
Old 12/13/07, 06:21 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,611 Posts
Charlie,

I tried reversing the GT500 STB, and it just made matters even worse.. in which the STB, would rest directly on top of the intake plenum cover.

So I ended up uninstalling the STB altogether, as I don't want to risk damage to my hood, or plenum cover..

Anyway, here's the part # for the GT500 STB.. 7R3Z16A200B

Rocky
Old 12/14/07, 01:09 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by metroplex
So what is the verdict on using a factory GT500 strut tower brace on a 07 GT with the factory plenum cover and stock hood?

I have heard some people managed to fit the GT500's STB, others claim the hood won't close or there is significant interference, etc...

What is the factory part number on the GT500's STB?
Metro, I also tried the GT500 STB. It had obvious clearance problems. When I closed my hood and stepped back I could see slight bulges on each side of the hood! I about soiled myself Hood went right back up and bar went bye bye. I purchased a GMS STB and have no problems!
Attached Thumbnails Factory GT500 strut tower brace-cid__11-28-07_0744.jpg  
Old 12/14/07, 05:22 AM
GTR Member

How about dropping the plenum cover a little by installing the fuel rail studs over the plenum cover, and utilizing washers on the rear studs of the strut mount with the bar reversed? That should give you adequate plenum and hood clearance.
Old 12/14/07, 11:28 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So will the gt500 STB work without the plenum cover and give adequate hood clearance ?
Old 12/14/07, 01:43 PM
GTR Member

Rocky: The stock upper strut mount studs measure 0.310" in diameter, so 2 stainless 5/16" washers is what you'd need (or 8mm for a slightly looser fit).

I looked at my engine bay (07 model, so it'd be similar to the GT500) and can see any type of STB would be a tight fit between the intake manifold and hood.

How do you keep the STB from marring the painted surface of the strut towers? I also looked at how some of the aftermarket STB's are made with very wide bolt holes rendering the STB practically useless in a turn. I'd imagine the GT500 STB and the Strange to be a tight fit, so the forces would be exerted on the bar's flanges to prevent the strut towers from flexing, versus allowing the strut towers to flex while the studs move within the holes of the STB.
Old 12/14/07, 04:07 PM
Bullitt Member

So a GT500 STB wont work on an 05-06 right? They changed the mounts to fit the 5.4L? Or is that incorrect?
Old 12/14/07, 05:07 PM
GTR Member

A few 06 GT owners said the GT500 STB fit. The results are mixed thus far.
Old 12/14/07, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by FinlayZJ
So a GT500 STB wont work on an 05-06 right? They changed the mounts to fit the 5.4L? Or is that incorrect?
The mounts are not the problem. it's the hood clearance itself, as the GT500 hood, has cut outs for the STB along both sides of the hood extractors..Where as the stock GT hood, clearly does not.

This is why, the GT500 STB must be reversed in order to clear the stock GT hood..Otherwise, the bar will be in direct contact..with the hood brace supports.

I won't know for sure, if reversing the STB will clear both the hood, and intake plenum cover..Until I locate a couple of 5/16 or 8mm washers, to hopefully raise the bar just enough to clear everything.

In the meantime. I'll be following Charlie's recommendation, and let all of you know..how it works out..
Old 12/14/07, 09:12 PM
GT Member

I just put the GT500 hood on my car and I have clearance issues with my Saleen supercharger. Just like with the stock hood. I have NO idea why a 5.4L supercharged engine can fit but a 4.6L supercharged cant. Maybe engine mounts or the fact the supercharger is inverted.
Old 12/14/07, 10:18 PM

I'm sure if you contact someone over at Saleen, they'll know as to whether the motor mounts are the same..Or if their different, but at least you'll have a definitive answer for sure..
Old 12/15/07, 05:06 AM
GTR Member

There is a way to lower the engine using different engine mounts.

Rocky, you don't necessarily need 5/16 washers to test fit the bar. Any sized washer that fits over the studs would work to "shim" the bar. heck, you could even try small pieces of wood or cardboard or old credit cards.
Old 12/15/07, 08:21 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
The mounts are not the problem. it's the hood clearance itself, as the GT500 hood, has cut outs for the STB, along both sides of the hood extractors..Where as the stock GT hood, clearly does not.

This is why, the GT500 STB must be reversed in order to clear the stock GT hood..Otherwise, the bar will be in direct contact..with the hood brace supports.

I won't know for sure, if reversing the STB will clear both the hood, and intake plenum cover..Until I locate a couple of 5/16 or 8mm washers, to hopefully raise the bar just enough to clear everything.

In the meantime. I'll be following Charlie's recommendation, and let all of you know..how it works out..
Rocky's right ! hood clearance is the issue

Originally Posted by metroplex
There is a way to lower the engine using different engine mounts.

Rocky, you don't necessarily need 5/16 washers to test fit the bar. Any sized washer that fits over the studs would work to "shim" the bar. heck, you could even try small pieces of wood or cardboard or old credit cards.
Metro spending a couple hundred bucks to for engine mounts to possibly lower the motor to fit a $60.00 STB is a little spendy, Why not just buy a bar thats designed for your car! As far as some guys claiming the GT500 STB fit on their GT comes down to what ones idea of fitting is! and I believe some depending on the color of their car don't realize the hood is being pushed up slightly!
Old 12/15/07, 11:43 AM
GTR Member

Metro spending a couple hundred bucks to for engine mounts to possibly lower the motor to fit a $60.00 STB is a little spendy, Why not just buy a bar thats designed for your car! As far as some guys claiming the GT500 STB fit on their GT comes down to what ones idea of fitting is! and I believe some depending on the color of their car don't realize the hood is being pushed up slightly!
My suggestion for the mounts was aimed for the guy asking about supercharger/hood clearance.

One person said their bar fit perfectly without any mods. JLT claimed that the bar has to be reversed with washers placed on the rear studs. Another said their buddy had to use washers on the rear studs with the bar mounted forward. I agree that some people probably just don't realize what it means to "fit properly".

If I have to remove the plenum cover to get the bar to fit perfectly w/o rubbing the hood, then I'll do that. I just want to get the straight answer on using the GT500 STB in a 07 GT. It looks like the 07 GT and 07 GT500 share the same body/chassis and can even share the entire front suspension. The only remaining matter is the bar clearing the hood.
Old 12/15/07, 01:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What do you want the bar for in the first place? If you want to tighten up the front end, just get a K-member brace, that's where you get flex.
Old 12/15/07, 01:36 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
What do you want the bar for in the first place? If you want to tighten up the front end, just get a K-member brace, that's where you get flex.
I've got both ! but your right...
Old 12/15/07, 03:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 06StangSC
I just put the GT500 hood on my car and I have clearance issues with my Saleen supercharger. Just like with the stock hood. I have NO idea why a 5.4L supercharged engine can fit but a 4.6L supercharged cant. Maybe engine mounts or the fact the supercharger is inverted.
I have the GT 500 hood with the Saleen S/C. I am using the JDM lowered Prothane mounts to provide adequate clearance.
Old 12/15/07, 03:45 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
I have the OEM A-Arm brace and GT500 STB on order.

If the strut towers do not flex, then I don't understand why Ford equipped the Bullitt and GT500 with STB's from the get-go.

So has anyone else had a success/failure story with the GT500 STB and 05-up GT w/ the stock GT hood and the OEM plenum cover?

Quick Reply: Factory GT500 strut tower brace