GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

CAI and Tune

Search this Thread

Old 12/26/11, 03:49 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAI and Tune

Whats the best CAI and Tune to get for my 2005 GT. Ive heard good things about the ford racing CAI that requires a tune but idk what tuner.
Old 12/27/11, 12:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sct sf3 fo sho

I got mine of craigslist w JLT cai and bbk tb for $300
Old 12/27/11, 05:11 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by silversky545
Sct sf3 fo sho

I got mine of craigslist w JLT cai and bbk tb for $300
What kinda of horsepower did you gain?
Old 12/28/11, 06:10 PM
Bullitt Member

SCT 3 w JLT CAI. I don't know HP numbers because I've not had it on the dyno, but it sure feels like a significant change- its like driving a different car.
Old 12/28/11, 06:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

I too have not got a dyno... Was going to wait till my suspension done, log tubes, new wheels and grippy tires.... Plus my friends best friend owns T1 racing (in falls tx area) and he is one of the best tuners in the world... He is telling me he can pull 60hp out of the stock motor..., I hope to have all that done b4 late march... Texas mile here I come!!!

I have the older jlt btw the new one paint matches the elbow to ur theme and supposedly makes better numbers
Old 12/28/11, 06:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry stupid auto correct... I ment Dallas tx area
Old 12/28/11, 06:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
There are a lot of great CAI and Tune out there, but they are not all created equal. Testing has shown our CAI with tune on the 2005 GT to have an increase of upto 38 HP and 30 lbs of torque. This is the highest HP and Torque Rating on the market.

We have worked with Ford Motor Company with our Technology Transfer Program to create one of the best CAI on the market. Our CAI mounts in the factory location with the supplied rubber trim to seal it against the hood & fender to keep the hot air out.

Here is a good video showcasing our product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=bZr6Sj6ygRo
Old 12/28/11, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by OHYEANICE
Whats the best CAI and Tune to get for my 2005 GT. Ive heard good things about the ford racing CAI that requires a tune but idk what tuner.
You can check on the American Muscle site. They list horsepower gains with the different intakes. The advantage to the AM tunes is they are lifetime. Every time you change something on your car you can email them for some new tunes. Gets expensive if you have to pay for it every time. I have read where the Steeda ones rate pretty well but I think JLT rated pretty high as well in one of the Mustang Mags. The FRPP intake looks nice and looks like it belongs there but is one of the lowest rated horsepower ones out there. May be since the elbow isn't smooth and its a little smaller then some of the others out there.
Old 12/28/11, 09:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'd just like the "box" portion of the FRPP cai ... Put that on my jlt... That would b sweet
Old 12/29/11, 05:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by silversky545
I'd just like the "box" portion of the FRPP cai ... Put that on my jlt... That would b sweet
You can buy just that part , if I remember correctly it was about $260. I got one and tried to modify it so I could put my Steeda MAF intake tube on it. I could get the Steeda tube to seal up with the box , but it doesn't have a bend in it like the tube that came on it and so it hit the cam covers. I would have had to use the MAF tube that came with it and it's smaller than the Steeda and would have required a new tune and resulted in less HP ...

Last edited by 05YellowGT; 12/29/11 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12/29/11, 05:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
click on the cia in my sig. I need to fix it to read cai
Old 12/29/11, 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check out the CAI combo kits over on our website. We have tons for different kits to choose from, and among the top performing are Airaid, JLT and C&L (Racer). We've tested all of the intakes on the market back-to-back on our own 3V S197's and they're all within a few horsepower of each other at the end of the day. Those are just the three that stand out the most and the company's that back them have amazing customer support. The new Series 3 JLT intake is an awesome kit and gets an honest 32RWHP gain on 93 octane, which is the top end of the gain claims for an 05-10 GT from us and other reputable shops. A CAI/Tuner kit for your will fall in the honest 28-32RWHP area.

The JLT Series 3 is a large roto-moulded plastic tube that is as high flowing as it can get. It has a re-usable filter and if you buy it with a Bama Custom Tuner (which is required for that intake) you'll get free tunes for life on your future mods! We just email you out a tune update and it's as simple as that! Bama is the largest SCT dealer in the world by far, but we like to get to know you by name and more importantly - your Mustang. All of our custom tuners on staff are SCT Advanced Custom Tuning Certified, Greg Banish Calibrated Success Certified and spend countless hours on the street, dyno and track with our own 10+ company Mustangs. That, our 30+ employee Mustangs and the thousands of 05+ Mustangs running our tunes around the world provides us the feedback that we need to ensure that we sell the safest, most powerful and consistent custom tunes on the market.

You'll pick up HP/TQ, throttle response, gas mileage, all around driveability and power - and automatics will get firmer/faster shifts. It's a night/day difference, and the first essential mod for any late model Mustang to build off of.

We go above and beyond for our customers. Give us a call or shoot me a PM any time you need! The Bama Performance team is also available directly to answer any questions before or after the sale! Even if you don't go with our service, we're Mustang enthusiasts that are here on the boards to help you regardless! Good luck and I hope I've been at least a little helpful!
Old 12/29/11, 08:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Our CAI has been tested and proven time and time again.

Here is a direct quote from the president of SCT Tuning regarding our CAI/Tune:

Steeda's new Cold Air Kit for the S197 produces the greatest power gains of any Cold Air Kit on the market. Testing has shown increases of up to 38 HP and 30 ft lbs of Torque to the rear wheels with Steeda's Cold Air Kit combined with our Custom SCT Tune.

"SCT has seen the highest horsepower and torque results while using Steeda's Cold Air Kit, over any other brand." - Chris Johnson, President of SCT Tuning

Let me also reiterate that we Stainless Steel Housing & Shield (Not Cheap Plastic). Plastic over time can chip, crack, and break under the heat and pressure of the engine.

We make all of our products in house (design, engineer, and manufacture) all of it right here in the U.S.A. Just know when you buy from Steeda you are getting top quality parts because we are ISO 9001-2008 certified.

Thanks

TJ

Last edited by tj@steeda; 12/29/11 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12/29/11, 08:55 PM
Bullitt Member

OP, for the record Steeda makes a very good quality cold air intake that is right in line in terms of performance as everyone else. Definitely a valid option to consider. We've sold many of them and know that intake inside and out. No complaints, to boot.

I've tuned thousands of 05-09 Mustangs personally over the last 6-7 years and I can tell you that you're not going to gain more than 30RWHP/30 RWTQ give or take 1 or 2 HP/TQ no matter what intake you choose.

Originally Posted by buffguy
on steeda's website, they claim the CAI gains 30 rwhp/38 rw torgue. I was wondering if that is true.
Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Not true in the real world.

I spoke at length with Pat at Steeda.ca, and he told me that what they're generally seeing is 23 HP/23 ft lbs torque gain.

That sounds believable.
Source: https://themustangsource.com/f669/st...9/#post5536749

I just want to make sure your expectations are met, and that means I'd never advertise an unachievable number. 1 or 2 HP is negligible, but 8 is noticeable.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by AMChrisRose; 12/29/11 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12/29/11, 10:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thank you AMChrisRose for confirming the quality of our cold air intake - and also for noting that you have sold plenty of them with absolutely zero complaints. It just validates the facts that I have been trying to communicate to fellow Mustang owners on this forum......that when you purchase the Steeda CAI you can rest assured that you are buying a quality product that provides maximum performance gains available anywhere!

Remember - We are the only manufacturer of cold air intakes that is ISO 901-2008 Certified. This is much more than just a pretty shingle hanging on a wall, rather it is a major statement of quality, testing, and validation that underscores the commitment we make to all of our customers to provide them the very best American Made performance parts and accessories for their Ford vehicles.

As Chris Johnson - President and the engineering brains behind SCT has stated, "SCT has seen the highest horsepower and torque results while using the Steeda CAI - over ANY other brand". You have got to believe that the team at SCT tests all of the CAIs available in the market - and that any comment or evualations that they do are indeed without any bias.......with SCT the undisputed leader in tuning devices today, Chris' comment that the Steeda CAI produces the highest power output makes this a "closed case" as to which CAI is the best !

If you are in the market for a CAI for your 'Stang......if you want maximum performance......if you want quality with a lifetime guarantee......and you want your product made in the USA......look no further than Steeda for you cold air intake and for ALL of your performance parts and accessories.

Steeda - Speed Matters
Old 12/30/11, 06:59 AM
Cobra Member

Adding to what T J said, its not just dyno numbers, but performance that counts, and when it comes to performance our intakes has seen plenty of cars that ran impressive times.

I dont have the article handy but there was an article just a couple of years ago from MM&FF of what was at that particular time the fastest 3V GT in the country, I'm sure someone had gone faster since then but at the time of the article the car was running in the low 11's at around 119 to 120mph on motor. This vehicle did this with our Steeda cold air intake as its intake system. That is a testament to the power our intake will support.

Here is also a dyno sheet for those who doubt the gains that can be achieved. This particular sheet peak to peak is 34 horsepower, with some point to point gains of 36 and 37 respectively. Just a couple of horsepower shy of our "up to 38" claims.

Old 12/30/11, 07:35 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by OHYEANICE
Chris Dyno tuned my baby back in 08 when she only had a C&L 'Street' CAI / SCT Livewire and she put down 287whp 304trq to the rollers.
Old 12/30/11, 08:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Thank you AMChrisRose for confirming the quality of our cold air intake - and also for noting that you have sold plenty of them with absolutely zero complaints. It just validates the facts that I have been trying to communicate to fellow Mustang owners on this forum......that when you purchase the Steeda CAI you can rest assured that you are buying a quality product that provides maximum performance gains available anywhere!
I think you might have jumped the gun a little bit. I also haven't had any complaints about Airaid or JLT. Which is exactly why I still stand behind my original recommendation. In my opinion, an Airaid or JLT intake would be the best choice for the OP, and thousands of people agree - based on fit/finish/performance/quality/styling.

You guys make great quality products and that was never in question! I think you just need to be open to the fact that there are other options out there that are right in line with you.

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
Here is also a dyno sheet for those who doubt the gains that can be achieved. This particular sheet peak to peak is 34 horsepower, with some point to point gains of 36 and 37 respectively. Just a couple of horsepower shy of our "up to 38" claims.
You guys can advertise what ever gains you feel appropriate. At Bama, we just want to talk about real world gains. All the OP has to do is take an hour to browse through dyno graphs via Google search and he'll see that all of the intakes fall in line between 25-30 or stretching to maybe 32RWHP (or if he buys the Steeda CAI/Tune package off of us and gets third party dyno results - we wouldn't want him mad at us for saying 38RWHP). That's what we advertise, because we don't want to disappoint. 25-32RWHP is very impressive! We're not going to go off of the one car out of hundreds that made 34 or 38, whatever the number ends up being - when the average is 2-6 HP lower. We hope you understand!

We're not going to end up in a public vendor war, though - that's not how we do business. We're going to bow out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

OHYEANICE, I'm sorry that your thread took a turn this way. This isn't how we do business, so we're not going to chime in anymore - but we're still around this forum! If you need any help at all, feel free to give me a shout via PM/phone/email and I'll be glad to help you.

Good luck! No matter what combo you decide, you're going to get the same amazing results! Take your time and do some research of third party results and you'll see that for the last 6-7 years, 25-32 HP has pretty much been the standard, exceptions/freak gain cars aside.

Thanks for your time!
Old 12/30/11, 09:01 AM
Cobra Member

You guys make great quality products and that was never in question! I think you just need to be open to the fact that there are other options out there that are right in line with you.
Yes, you mean like this? https://themustangsource.com/f726/st...k-here-494698/

You guys can advertise what ever gains you feel appropriate. At Bama, we just want to talk about real world gains.
I agree, and we prefer to do both, hence my example from MM&FF from a few years ago which was at that time, the fastest 3V GT in the country running a Steeda cold air intake. Another example is how we have included videos and time slips of our passes in our own 2011 GT with our cold air in our past forum posts that anyone can easily search and website product info. Real world gains are definitely important!

We're not going to end up in a public vendor war, though - that's not how we do business.
We dont either, we openly admit there are other options out there, as the post I liked above is perfect example of. An unbiased test showing you can't go wrong with any of the major cold air intakes out there. That's honesty right there.
Old 12/30/11, 05:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
now boys!

JLT here because it was a few bucks less than the others at the time I bought mine. Dam near the same hp as the more expensive units also. As far as tunes Make the phone calls and see who answers the phones first and who is most helpful.
Many great tuners out there I can't deny. Some have free tune updates for life as long as you buy the parts from them.

Quick Reply: CAI and Tune