GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Autopower Roll Bar - in a daily driver ?

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/07, 08:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autopower Roll Bar - in a daily driver ?

I'm under the impression that once a roll bar/cage goes in, comfort and daily driving take a big hit.

My friend told me that I might as well strip out my interior because nothing says "race car" like a roll cage/bar and try explaining why it's in there to the insurance company if they see if for some reason.

I'm guessing that it will make the chassis a lot stiffer but will daily driving suffer that much?

Any input from peopel with one?

What does it take to drop one in?

I wnt the autopower roll bar that has 4 points and the removable harness bar.. probably the most simple one they have.

thanks
jake
Old 1/26/07, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tend to agree with you that adding a roll bar will be detrimental to a daily driver. It's one reason I have not done it yet. The biggest problem to me is the cross bar behind the front seats. It limits access to the back seat, as well as adjustability of the front seats.

However, if/when I add one, I want to make sure it meets the minimum NHRA specs, which is a 6-point system. A 4-pt system would be of no value to me. The front door bars can be removable and still pass tech. At least that way, only back seat functionality would be significantly impacted.
Old 1/26/07, 11:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

With the rollbar i want, the harness bar is removable so i can still use the back seat... hopefully the back seat is still able to be used. thats one question i forgot to ask them. The older mustangs could keep their back seat.. not sure if the new ones can.

I dont plan on breaking the sound barrier on the salt flats or 1/4 mile, just a little extra protection for my melon on the road coarses.
Old 1/26/07, 11:56 AM

I'd love to have a removable harness bar... if I could get it past NHRA tech.
Old 1/26/07, 01:54 PM

The back seats can stay but it would not be very safe for a passenger. If you had a crash they would be slammed into the roll bar main hoop.....
I went with a custom six-point so I could pass NHRA/IHRA inspection.
The Autopower roll bar I have no idea how it would fit but I wanted to use chrome moly not the mild steel that Autopower uses in there roll bars.
I love having the roll bar in the convertible! My car is not a daily driver and I have welded side bars not removable. It is easy to hop over the side bar.
Removable bars would be good too if you get them, I wanted the added rigidity of a completely welded unit.
I like the look of the back seat even if I cant really put a passenger there.
Attached Thumbnails Autopower Roll Bar - in a daily driver ?-bar07.jpg   Autopower Roll Bar - in a daily driver ?-bar08.jpg  
Attached Images   
Old 1/26/07, 02:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Something about having a rollcage/bar that just says "now thats a fast car"... but it's the protection i'm looking at.

hmmm tough call....

I'm probably going to get one as my next mod... to be safer on the track, even though i dont get crazy.. you never know.
Old 1/26/07, 03:44 PM
Bullitt Member

I’m not sure you caught what Don was telling you. To pass tech for IHRA and NHRA the cross bar must be welded not removable. The door bars can be removable but the cross bar cannot and it also has to have the 5 point harness attached to the bar. If you are going to spend the money for a roll bar you should at least have one that will pass tech.

Earl
Old 1/27/07, 02:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Uber pony,

where did you get that roll bar from??
Old 1/27/07, 04:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Jake, dont get the removeable harness bar, there is still a LOT of room in the font seats with it, but DO get the swing out door bars, it is a ****ing PAIN to climb in without them. Mine is in, and the door bars are a *****.
Old 1/27/07, 08:48 PM
GT Member

06GtwJuice, what type of bar you gets depends on the type of use you plan on doing. If your into the straight-line you need a full 6pt. But if your into "open track" road courses a 4pt will pass tech. The one I had fabbed flies through tech with no problem. Just my experience.
Old 1/27/07, 09:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm just looking for something for those weekend open track days...

I would still like to toss a passenger in the back seat on occasion, although its rare that I have a back seat passenger and when I do it's my daughter in her car seat.
Old 1/27/07, 09:14 PM
Bullitt Member

I am looking for a bolt in 4 point for track days as well. I only go once or twice a year, so I figured I could take it in and out, especially since it is a convertible. Does anyone make one for the 2005+ convertibles?
Old 1/27/07, 09:37 PM
GT Member

Not that I could find, that's why I had the custom one above made.
Old 1/27/07, 09:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tispco
I am looking for a bolt in 4 point for track days as well. I only go once or twice a year, so I figured I could take it in and out, especially since it is a convertible. Does anyone make one for the 2005+ convertibles?
livermore performance can get autopower 4pt roll bars that bolt/weld into 05+ mustangs.. I think even convertables.
Old 1/28/07, 07:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Thank you! Last time I looked (not that long ago), I could not find one. The AutoPower is exactly what I am looking for.

FWIW, I want to take mine in and out because I do not feel it would be safe to use the back seat with the bar back there. If you leave it in, I would make sure it is well padded and the harness bar is out if anyone is in back.
Old 1/28/07, 07:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

I wont leave it in ifthere are passengers in the back and it would be padded. I don't think i'll need a full cage, just something in case i happen to roll my car on a road coarse.

IHRA/NHRA isn't much of a concern since i dont 1/4 mile my car.. although I miht try it once or twice..
Old 1/28/07, 12:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

a 4 point is nice.... but if you were to roll it, I think the foward bracing of the 6 point would come in handy.... thats why no 4pts are legal for anything.
Old 1/28/07, 05:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

http://www.agentfortyseven.com/chass.../gt_frame.html

Agent 47 makes a nice kit that is bolt in and could be welded if needed
Old 1/28/07, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
http://www.agentfortyseven.com/chass.../gt_frame.html

Agent 47 makes a nice kit that is bolt in and could be welded if needed
Whoa!! $2000??? I can get an NHRA-certified, custom installed 6-pt roll bar (with removable door bars) for less than that.
Old 1/29/07, 06:30 AM

Uber pony,

where did you get that roll bar from??
Mine was a custom job done by Hot Rod Chassis in Addison Illinois.

Quick Reply: Autopower Roll Bar - in a daily driver ?