GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

5w20 or 5w30

Search this Thread

Old 4/9/05, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know 5w20 is recomended in the owners manual, however I have heard from 2 sources that the only reason ford uses 5w20 is the slight mileage increase in order to help it meet federal milage standards for its fleet. I understand that 5w30 provides better protection and leaves less sludge/deposits. Does anyone know if my information is good, or have any thoughts on the matter?
here is a link where i saw some of the info.
http://www.smartsynthetics.com/artic..._and_honda.htm
Old 4/9/05, 07:58 PM
Cobra R Member

yes thats true, but if ford wants to they can (possibly) void your warranty if they find you are not using 5w20. Ford and honda get tax breaks from the government also
Old 4/10/05, 09:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

David,
Everyone has an opinion on oil and oil companies. Here's mine:

1. Be skeptical of websites trying to sell you an alternate product and claiming the M/F act protects you if you use their product. It is a fact that the law may be on your side, but do you have the financial resources to fight a legal battle with Ford? Better yet, ask the alternate product manufacturer if he is going to pay your legal fees.
2. I am going to stick with 5W20, but will change over to synthetic at 6,000 + miles. Most of the wear on an engine takes place at cold start-up, not while running down the highway. Besides, I do not believe Ford would deliberately shorten the life of my motor.

The Boss Hog . . . . . just my opinion
Old 4/10/05, 09:40 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do. I have no doubt at ALL they would cut your engine life from 200k (best case) to 150k (best case) to get lower emisions or higher CAFE. They only warrantee the engine to 36k miles, so they couldn't care less if it dies at 150k instead of 200k because of them recommending 5W-20 oil instead of 5W-30 oil.

That is just like the recommended breakin doesn't make any since either. Until you realize that their "method" is almost given to make sure that there will be no possible damage to the engine. The fact that the engine doesn't get as good of fuel economy as it could and the engine is not as long lasting (again, any issues will show up WAY past warrantee) just isn't their problem. And the who cares if the customer is down 5% on power over what they could have gotten? There is a possiblity that you CAN damage your engine breaking it in using the full load method if you are not paying attention and don't do it correclty.
Old 4/10/05, 10:15 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

Actually the oil being used in the new mustang is a partially synthetic oil. Not supposed to be changed for the first 5000 miles.
Old 4/10/05, 10:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Show me a mustang motor that went 200K on 5w30, and I'll switch..but I'm sticking with the number on my oil cap untill proven that the 20 hurts my car.
Old 4/10/05, 11:20 PM
Cobra R Member

i can show u a ford 4.0 that went 170k so far and still runs like a champ
Old 4/11/05, 01:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

I used to work for a company in East Cleveland that makes additives for many of the major oil brands...Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil, etc. It is the additives that protect your engine...not the carrier..ie. the oil. Also, most of the wear that will occur over time will come from dirt in the oil. The reason you change your oil is because you are depleteing the additives over time. Some of the additives modify the viscosity. (long chain polymers..these break down) Some suspend dirt in the oil. (detergents) Some prevent foaming (defoamers) because foamy oil doesn't protect well. Both 5w20 and 5w30 meet the same SAE testing requirements, so they should both protect equally well.

As a side note, my '03 focus SVT called for 5w30. I had the dealership change the oil the first time, and on the invoice, they indicated they had put in 5w20.(the same as would go in the standard focus) When I asked them about this, they said that they had actually put in 5w30, but everything gets labeled as 5w20. I was like wtf? I made them go back and change the invoice to reflect the correct oil. Why was I such a stickler? Well, apparently the computer in the SVT uses the viscosity of the oil as part of the algorithm for varying the timing on the intake cam, and I wanted accurate records. In other words, if you used 5w20 in the svt focus, it would not run right. At least, this is what a Ford service advisor told me. He said he had had customers who got 5w20 in their SVT and it had created problems with the cars not running right. Just something to think about. There may be other reasons besides marginally better CAFE numbers that Ford is requiring 5w20.
Old 4/21/05, 09:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by AJC@April 10, 2005, 10:18 PM
Actually the oil being used in the new mustang is a partially synthetic oil. Not supposed to be changed for the first 5000 miles.
I thought the oil was regular oil, anyway that what I have been told by others. Can anybody clarify what exactly is in the 05 mustang GT on delivery and what exactly does ford recommend for oil in our cars?
Thanks
Old 4/21/05, 09:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by davids2toys+April 21, 2005, 9:24 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(davids2toys @ April 21, 2005, 9:24 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-AJC@April 10, 2005, 10:18 PM
I thought the oil was regular oil, anyway that what I have been told by others. Can anybody clarify what exactly is in the 05 mustang GT on delivery and what exactly does ford recommend for oil in our cars?
Thanks
[/b][/quote]

It's in the owner's manual. Here's a direct quote:

Use SAE 5W-20 engine oil.

Only use oils “Certified For Gasoline Engines” by the American
Petroleum Institute (API). An oil with this trademark symbol conforms
to the current engine and emission system protection standards and fuel
economy requirements of the International Lubricant Standardization and
Approval Committee (ISLAC), comprised of U.S. and Japanese
automobile manufacturers.

To protect your engine’s warranty use Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 or an
equivalent 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A.
SAE
5W-20 oil provides optimum fuel economy and durability
performance meeting all requirements for your vehicle’s engine.
Do not use supplemental engine oil additives, cleaners or other engine
treatments. They are unnecessary and could lead to engine damage that
is not covered by Ford warranty.

Change your engine oil according to the appropriate schedule listed in
the scheduled maintenance guide.
Old 4/21/05, 09:49 AM
GT Member

Well I know that our Bullitt has been using the 5W-20 since new and I have absolutly NO PROBLEMS with it and it has 62K on it. I do intend to use a full synthetic in the 05 now that there are a number of companies making a synthetic 5W-20. When we bought the Bullit you had to look everywhere just to find a normal 5W-20 otherwise it would be on synthetic too! Just my .02 worth though!
Old 4/21/05, 10:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Does anyone know if there is a special breakin oil in the engine from the factory
Old 4/21/05, 10:46 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw somebody say on this forum that the main bearing on the GT engines have such a small clearance that it needs 20 weight oil for it to get in there. And that if you use 30 weight oil that you could damage your engine. You guys with the GT's should check into this before you change to 30 weight oil....
Old 4/21/05, 11:08 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by Falchion@April 21, 2005, 8:49 AM
I saw somebody say on this forum that the main bearing on the GT engines have such a small clearance that it needs 20 weight oil for it to get in there. And that if you use 30 weight oil that you could damage your engine. You guys with the GT's should check into this before you change to 30 weight oil....
Really? I was thinking about switching, not only to synthetic at 6,000 miles, but also to 5-30. I guess i'll do some more research on this.......
Old 4/21/05, 11:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Giddyup+April 21, 2005, 11:11 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Giddyup @ April 21, 2005, 11:11 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Falchion@April 21, 2005, 8:49 AM
Really? I was thinking about switching, not only to synthetic at 6,000 miles, but also to 5-30. I guess i'll do some more research on this.......
[/b][/quote]

If you notice in the quote from the owner's manual I posted above it states "to protect your engine's warranty" use 5W-20 that meets Ford's specifications. I would consider that very carefully before switching to 5W-30.
Old 4/22/05, 12:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by TomServo92+April 21, 2005, 11:25 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomServo92 @ April 21, 2005, 11:25 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Giddyup@April 21, 2005, 11:11 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Falchion
@April 21, 2005, 8:49 AM

If you notice in the quote from the owner's manual I posted above it states "to protect your engine's warranty" use 5W-20 that meets Ford's specifications. I would consider that very carefully before switching to 5W-30.
[/b][/quote]
Does it say anything about being a 50/50 blend. What exactly does it say? Do you know what is in the car from the factory?
Old 4/22/05, 03:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by RRRoamer@April 10, 2005, 9:43 PM
I do. I have no doubt at ALL they would cut your engine life from 200k (best case) to 150k (best case) to get lower emisions or higher CAFE. They only warrantee the engine to 36k miles, so they couldn't care less if it dies at 150k instead of 200k because of them recommending 5W-20 oil instead of 5W-30 oil.

That is just like the recommended breakin doesn't make any since either. Until you realize that their "method" is almost given to make sure that there will be no possible damage to the engine. The fact that the engine doesn't get as good of fuel economy as it could and the engine is not as long lasting (again, any issues will show up WAY past warrantee) just isn't their problem. And the who cares if the customer is down 5% on power over what they could have gotten? There is a possiblity that you CAN damage your engine breaking it in using the full load method if you are not paying attention and don't do it correclty.
Do you think Honda and Acura are pulling the same wool-over-our-eyes trick? They use the same 5w-20 viscosity oil.
Old 4/22/05, 05:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by davids2toys@April 22, 2005, 12:45 AM
Does it say anything about being a 50/50 blend. What exactly does it say? Do you know what is in the car from the factory?
It doesn't say. What I quoted earlier in this thread is all it says about oil for the 4.6L. You can read the owner's online at:

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/0...wnersManual.pdf
Old 5/1/05, 12:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by TomServo92+April 22, 2005, 5:22 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomServo92 @ April 22, 2005, 5:22 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-davids2toys@April 22, 2005, 12:45 AM
It doesn't say. What I quoted earlier in this thread is all it says about oil for the 4.6L. You can read the owner's online at:

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/0...wnersManual.pdf
[/b][/quote]
Why are different members saying it is a 50/50 mix from the factory???
Old 5/1/05, 01:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by TomServo92+April 21, 2005, 11:32 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomServo92 @ April 21, 2005, 11:32 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by davids2toys@April 21, 2005, 9:24 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-AJC
@April 10, 2005, 10:18 PM

Thanks
It's in the owner's manual. Here's a direct quote:

Use SAE 5W-20 engine oil.

Only use oils “Certified For Gasoline Engines” by the American
Petroleum Institute (API). An oil with this trademark symbol conforms
to the current engine and emission system protection standards and fuel
economy requirements of the International Lubricant Standardization and
Approval Committee (ISLAC), comprised of U.S. and Japanese
automobile manufacturers.

To protect your engine’s warranty use Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 or an
equivalent 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A.
SAE
5W-20 oil provides optimum fuel economy and durability
performance meeting all requirements for your vehicle’s engine.
Do not use supplemental engine oil additives, cleaners or other engine
treatments. They are unnecessary and could lead to engine damage that
is not covered by Ford warranty.

Change your engine oil according to the appropriate schedule listed in
the scheduled maintenance guide.
[/b][/quote]

HAHAHAHA! Vindication! I had been saying all along in my older thread that the '05 Mustang GT came with MOTOR OIL from the factory. Not synthetic, not a 50/50 blend, plain old MOTOR OIL! HA!

Yeah, I know, I know. I'm being a little immature - but hey! I'm only 21!

Quick Reply: 5w20 or 5w30