GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

3.73 gears vs Ford warranty

Search this Thread

Old 2/16/07, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.73 gears vs Ford warranty

Hey there guys/gals
Just thought I would slap this up here and see what everyone says.
At any rate I have been planning on changing my gears
(auto 331) to 373s for some time now.
I recently called Roush since I have the RoushCharger with Roush ecm tune in my stang. I asked them if was going to change my gears from the 331 to 373s would I have to have a retune for my stang due to the fact that it is an automatic.
I have called on this months before and they told me that they knew people was changing the gears and to do it but unfortunately they dont have a tune directly for it.
But as of yesterday when I called Roush they told me that if I did change my gears to 373s that I could pay 50.00 at a Ford dealership and have my ecm shipped to Roush and they will retune my car with the 373s in mind.
Now to my other point. I called my dealership today and told them what Roush told me about my gears and if they could do the install for me and ship my ecm out to Roush for the retune. The parts manager later called me and said that I could go to 355 but by going to 373s this may VOID my FORD warrenty. He didnt know if this is Ford not knowing that you can send in for a reflash to correct the shift points etc. or not.
I am currently looking more into this. I really want to change my gears bad but dont want to mess with the warrenty.
I'll let you guys know what happens.
I kinda went through this allready when we had the RoushCharger installed they told me that my warrenty was totally VOIDED, but after having them actually call Roush thats when they got everything corrected warrenty wise. I think the same thing will happen here.
Old 2/16/07, 09:05 PM
Former Vendor

Is it just me or does it seem a little contradictory that FRPP sells 4.10's in their drag racing package?

I am convinced that there is no black and white "legal or not legal for warranty" anymore. It's all about where you get your car serviced. Some places are cool and will let you get away with certain things, some wont.
Old 2/16/07, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
Is it just me or does it seem a little contradictory that FRPP sells 4.10's in their drag racing package?

I am convinced that there is no black and white "legal or not legal for warranty" anymore. It's all about where you get your car serviced. Some places are cool and will let you get away with certain things, some wont.

I hear ya on that.
I really want to swap gears specially now that I am supercharged. I really hope that when I go in on Monday to talk with them. That when they call Roush and talk with them that this wont be an issue.
Even if the warrenty isnt an issue my dealer said that swaping gears is 8 hours of labor...plus parts could be close to a GRAND . This seems really high to me. I was expecting between 600-800
Old 2/16/07, 09:37 PM
Former Vendor

Woah woah woah. Gears should be a 375-450 dollar job. That's insane! I mean I know the dealership is going to be more, but only by maybe 100? 1000 is nuts.

Oklacop just got a whipple supercharger put on for HALF of that at a dealership!
Old 2/16/07, 10:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just ordered and before delivery will have the FRPP handling pack installed, with warranty.

In this case, it is included in the 36/36K warranty because it will be installed at the time of delivery. With many of the "pak" parts, my understandign is that if you have them installed at delivery by a dealer, they should be covered under the warranty. If you have them installed after delivery but before expiration of the original 36/36K warranty, many parts should be covered under a 12/12K warranty from FRPP.

The article or statement linked to below was instrumental in getting my dealer to agree that the FRPP handling pak is a warrantied part if tehy install it at delivery. I suspect this is a new policy which many dealers may not know about, or may misunderstand.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/warra..._STATEMENT.pdf

good luck!
Old 2/16/07, 11:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Well I just had my 373s installed at the dealer. No mention at all about voiding warranty and the install was set up and quoted by the service mgr himself. I was first quoted 600 from dealer to do the gears and computer changes. Then I said well I am going to have someone else do the gears then have ford update computer. Well I spoke with mgr, and he said I will work up something for you if you are going to have all your performance stuff done with them, I said yes. They installed the front and rear sway bar kit from ford racing and put on the rear girdle/functional, stop tech drilled rotors all the way around, and installed the gears and lube etc. All of this was now quoted at 520 without the rotors. I said OK trying to keep as much ford involved as possible. Well the end of the story is ford cant update the computers anymore for gears above 355 with there software, it was changed in 05 and the mechanic nor the mgr new of this, so the computer would not take the changes. So needless to say I was ****ed, as the only reason I went with the dealer in the first place was so they could adjust for the speedo being off. Well mgr figured it out and gave me another 200 credit. I did pay 65 bucks to have the rotors installed. so all and all I got all that put in for 385 from the dealer. the mgr gave me the 200 dollar credit because of the cost of an aftermarket programmer to change speedo etc. Ford has there tool that comes with the drag pack but he didnt even figure that out. So now I have gears installed and quoted by a service mgr. Then they couldnt update computer so I did it with my sct x2 which I already had, and mgr is aware of this, so hopefully wont have any computer void issues either as far as that mgr is concerned. So it turned out pretty good, but just too let you all know ford cant update the computer for gears higher than the 355's.
Good luck with the gears etc. They are awesome> I love them.
Old 2/17/07, 05:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

when i had my 4.10s done it cost 425 installed for gears and labor. no whime no noise.

if you have a regular GT and added the Roush Charger, you have NO FORD warranty on your powertrain. you have what Roush picks up for ford on the engine, drivetrain, tranny ect ect. Ford wont touch that stuff anymore. Secondly if you read the roush warranty carefully, if you change ANYTHING, it voide the Roush warranty on the powertrain.
Old 2/17/07, 05:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mustangshadow
The parts manager later called me and said that I could go to 355 but by going to 373s this may VOID my FORD warrenty.
When you installed the ROUSHcharger you voided the Ford powertrain warranty. Your powertrain warranty is now through Roush not Ford.

The ROUSHcharger™ is also the only supercharger unit that is protected by the industry’s leading warranty which covers the balance on Ford’s 3 year/36,000 mile factory drivetrain backing, or one year on ROUSH components for vehicles already beyond this level.

If Roush says the 3:73s are OK, your covered under their warranty.

opps..., late as usual
Old 2/17/07, 07:51 PM

Yeah
as per Roush the 373 gears will NOT void my warrenty as per the Roush part of the warrenty.
It was the sales mgr. that told me that it would void the FORD warrenty.
I know that once I had my Roushcharger installed that the Ford warrenty on THOSE parts are voided and then picked up by Roush.
I think in the end when I go in there on Monday to speak with them myself that everything will be cleared up.
Like I said before it was an uphill battle with the RoushCharger install until I got the dealership to actually communicate with Roush then all was well with the world.
As for the price I hope it comes down as well. I know that a grand seemed way off base.
Hopefully I will be able to clarify things with them in person on monday.
Roush is tops and I highly reccomend them. They arent the ones giving me a problem. In fact I cant tell you how happy I am that I went with Roush for the pure fact that they will update my tune with the gears and for any other upgrades within standards for 50.00
Old 2/17/07, 10:36 PM
Cobra R Member

I was under the impression you had Dougs tune in your car. When did you change that?
Old 2/17/07, 11:06 PM
Cobra R Member

I do have dougs tune in my car. I just used the sct to change the gear ratio setting for speedo issue. When I went in to have the work done I had to put it back to stock so dealer wouldnt mess with me. Well now that I needed an aftermarket tuner to fix my speedometer issue, they are not going to screw with me, which is a good thing. Mgr is the one who told me to get one to fix it and gave me 200 towards it. So I am driving it straight into the dealer from now on. Intake and all. So now I have dougs tune, corrected speedo with some nice new gears, man this thing really rocks with the 373's, anyone with an automatic I would highly advise this mod, if not now, then after warranty is done. But I love the new driving with the gears. Definitely more in the powerband most of the time, and talk about taking off, all I need now to make this thing unbelievable will be a turbo or supercharger. I am hoping maybe this year or next. Anyway hopefully we can get doug up to st. louis again this summer to have another dyno day, and see what changes everyone has made. Chat at you later mongoose.
Old 2/20/07, 08:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

I had 3.73's installed at my ford dealer they asked for my xcal2 so they could adjust it to the proper gear ratio
Old 2/20/07, 09:07 PM
Cobra Member

Would they only delete the warranty of the rear end if I installed another gear.
Old 2/22/07, 06:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Call your dealer and speak with the service mgr. They will be up front with you on what is involved etc. You may want to mention to him tho that the 06 and up can not be changed in the computer per ford software, must use an aftermarket tuner to change the gears. They do warranty there work and the part, but the new ford racing parts, and labor are guaranteed for 12 months/12000 miles. Good luck
Old 2/23/07, 07:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Perry if you do decide to have the gears put in and want to save some serious cash on the labor, call me/hit me with a PM and I'll refer you to the gear guru who put my 4.10's in. He was featured in 5.0 Magazine last year doing a 4.30 gear install on an S197 at BMR's shop in Thonotosassa (near I75 & Fowler). His shop is actually in Plant City on the other side of I4 from where I live. He might be at FFW so if you like I can introduce you to him. I don't know about the Roush/Ford warranty situation, but if you just want to save a lot of money on the labor it's at least worth checking out.