Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

SVT Cobra vs Saleen S281 SC

Old 11/5/04, 06:41 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Help me out here. I'm not very familiar with Mustangs or domestic cars at all for that matter. I've always owned foriegn cars, except for a 92 SHO I had back about 8 yrs ago. Anyway, ever since I saw the pics of the prototype 2005 Mustang, I've been in aw of this car. Now that the production version is here, I've become obsessed with it. My question for you guys is what is the real difference between the Cobra and the Saleen. I see the 281 SC is going to have 400hp, but of course there are no numbers on the Cobra yet. Although, I've seen several post of it being somewhere between 400-480hp range....wow. Basically is the Saleen really worth the extra $5,000 or more than the Cobra. For that matter is the Cobra really worth the estimated extra $10,000 or more than the GT. Please, give me any help you can. You may just be able to steer this diehard import fan away and bring me to the domestic's. Anyway, thanks for your help and have fun with your new Stangs.
Old 11/5/04, 06:47 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's all about what you want, can afford and how fast you want to go. Cobra is Mustang GT on roids. Saleen is quite a bit different than both cars and you pay for it's exclucivity. Not sure where the Cobra will slot price wise against the Saleens, but if history repeats itself, the Saleen will be more $ than the Cobra. It just depends on hot they go on the Cobra mill. I'm sure things will be ugly if SVT puts 400hp on the street for about $36,000 and saleen does the same for about $43,000. Of course, with the Saleen, you get other goodies like brakes, suspension and other things the Cobra will definitely not have.
Old 11/5/04, 06:57 AM
GT Member

The only Saleen that can compare to the '03-'04 Cobra is the S281-E (425bhp) which you can't find for less than 50K. The Saleen is based off the GT engine (4.6L 2 Valve) while the Cobra runs the 4.6L 4 Valve. Much more potential with the Cobra and costs about $10k less than the Saleen. Given the two choices, I'd go with the Cobra. Much more bang for your buck.
Old 11/5/04, 07:02 AM
Cobra Member

I'm not sure just how familiar you are with the two cars.... Cobra is made by Ford's SVT (Special Vehicle Team). Saleen is a tuner. Steve Saleen and his crew buy V6 Mustangs from Ford and gut them, and put in an engine that usually consists of diferent heads, intake manifolds and pulleys, they add their own suspension package which is usually Eibach springs, new shocks/struts, offset rack bushings, and larger sway bars. They used to include a strut tower brace too. They upgrade the brakes, add their own touches to the interior and have a different hood and ground effects package. some come supercharged.
In my opinion, the Saleen is more like a GT on steroids than the Cobra is. Thhe Cobra has IRS (for the last few years), larger breaks, a 6 speed transmission and a supercharged DOHC 4.6 (and now we're hoping for the 5.0 cammer or a 5.4 DOCH.... supercharged) Cobra gets a different interior.... as far as seats goes, larger breaks and beter suspension than the GT.
The price difference was worth the $10K between the GT and the Cobra because there was a 130hp difference and the IRS..... and the 6 speed. But, as far as the price difference between the Saleen and the Cobra..... you're paying for the name with Saleen.... as well as a unique look.... one that definitely turns heads.
IMO the Cobra is a better bang for your buck, but darn those Saleens look sweetass.
Old 11/5/04, 07:29 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Clint, I agree. Considering you're getting more (IRS and 6-speed) for less money, I think its a better deal. But Yes, the Saleens do look awesome.
Old 11/5/04, 07:42 AM
V6 Member

Thanks guys for clearing this up, especially, Clint. I never knew the Saleen Stangs started off as a V6 stripped and then set up again their way. Anyway, hopefully when I get back from this stinky hiney country of Iraq, the Cobra will be out in the states. Then I'll be able to test Cobra vs GT and see which I want more. I wonder which will win.....haha. Thanks again.
Old 11/5/04, 07:50 AM
Cobra Member

Which one you want more and which one you're actually going to pay for are two different things. Unfortunately for me, I have to limit myself to a GT.... but there's no question in my mind which I'd rather have. Hey Chris.... not sure what you're doin' in Iraq, not sure that you can say.... but good luck, brutha.... and if you see al-Zarqawi, be sure to tell him I said hi (i.e. a nice kick in the ding ding)
Old 11/5/04, 07:59 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by clintoris@November 5, 2004, 8:05 AM
I'm not sure just how familiar you are with the two cars.... Cobra is made by Ford's SVT (Special Vehicle Team). Saleen is a tuner. Steve Saleen and his crew buy V6 Mustangs from Ford and gut them, and put in an engine that usually consists of diferent heads, intake manifolds and pulleys, they add their own suspension package which is usually Eibach springs, new shocks/struts, offset rack bushings, and larger sway bars. They used to include a strut tower brace too. They upgrade the brakes, add their own touches to the interior and have a different hood and ground effects package. some come supercharged.
In my opinion, the Saleen is more like a GT on steroids than the Cobra is. Thhe Cobra has IRS (for the last few years), larger breaks, a 6 speed transmission and a supercharged DOHC 4.6 (and now we're hoping for the 5.0 cammer or a 5.4 DOCH.... supercharged) Cobra gets a different interior.... as far as seats goes, larger breaks and beter suspension than the GT.
The price difference was worth the $10K between the GT and the Cobra because there was a 130hp difference and the IRS..... and the 6 speed. But, as far as the price difference between the Saleen and the Cobra..... you're paying for the name with Saleen.... as well as a unique look.... one that definitely turns heads.
IMO the Cobra is a better bang for your buck, but darn those Saleens look sweetass.
alot of your information is wrong, Saleen buys GTs not V6's, just think of the cost involved with doing all those engine swaps. Why do you think companies sell take off bullitt wheels and the stock dual exhaust. Basically a saleen is a GT with suspension, and comestic mods to it.
Old 11/5/04, 08:23 AM
Cobra Member

well, they weren't buying GTs 2 years ago.... there's an article in MMFF that will take me 7 months to find, because I can only read like 16 words before I have to take a break, but it's in there.... they don't buy GTs. Unless something has changed in the last couple of years.
Old 11/5/04, 08:29 AM
Cobra Member

ok... so I just came accross an article from 5.0 magazine... it says they come from GTs, article but I swear to God that I read an article that said they come from v6s.... I'm going to find it
Old 11/5/04, 08:33 AM
Cobra Member

ok.. there was another article that says they are GTs, but hold on... I'm still looking.
Old 11/5/04, 08:45 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by clintoris@November 5, 2004, 8:53 AM
Which one you want more and which one you're actually going to pay for are two different things. Unfortunately for me, I have to limit myself to a GT.... but there's no question in my mind which I'd rather have. Hey Chris.... not sure what you're doin' in Iraq, not sure that you can say.... but good luck, brutha.... and if you see al-Zarqawi, be sure to tell him I said hi (i.e. a nice kick in the ding ding)
I appreciate the support. I'm in the Army, stationed in parts unknown....haha. I'm keeping my head down, but my spirits up. As far as GT vs Cobra vs Saleen goes. Beyond a shadow of a doubt, the Saleen is not going to happen for me. There are a 100 other cars I would buy before spending near $50,000 on a Mustang, regardless of how fast it is. The Cobra is a possibility, but if it goes above $40,000 it too will knock itself out of the race. Only one left is the GT, which is more than fine to me. I really need to not buy anything at all. I currently own a 2003 Nissan Maxima 6spd. The car may not be as fast as the new GT, but at least I've been able to beat countless 2004's and down. Not with ease though. By the way, before anyone calls b.s. I'm modded. Plus, the Maxima's aren't as slow as some may think. Anyway, when I return to the states, my car along with all my other bills will be payed off. Finally for the first time in 9 yrs, I'll be 100% debt free. Not mention, that in the 9 yrs I've owned cars, I've traded 7 times, never paying off any car until now. But, darn that Mustang GT is nice. Anyway, if I catch any bad guys over here, I'll be sure to kick em in the ding ding....haha. Thanks again for the help. Peace.
Old 11/5/04, 09:12 AM
Cobra Member

ok.... I knew I wasn't makin' shiz up.... here's the article in MM&FF.
http://www.sil.org/linguistics/GlossaryOfL...xivePronoun.htm

So.... I was wrong.... but not completely..... or was I?

good times, though. good times
Old 11/5/04, 09:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by clintoris@November 5, 2004, 10:15 AM
ok.... I knew I wasn't makin' shiz up.... here's the article in MM&FF.
http://www.sil.org/linguistics/GlossaryOfL...xivePronoun.htm

So.... I was wrong.... but not completely..... or was I?

good times, though. good times
What?
Old 11/5/04, 10:05 AM
V6 Member

The S351 used the V6 as a base. All the S281s start off as GTs. In the eyes of the gov, Saleen is a manufacturer and not a tuner. Dollar for dollar, the '03/04 SVT is a much better performer but the Saleen has excusivity and a much better resale value.
Old 11/5/04, 10:25 AM
GT Member

SVT = Performance Substance Exclusivity Value Fully sorted cars from the people that created the thing in the first place. Hand Made with the best FORD has to offer. Tuners are great in theory but for years they have been finiky and support can be hard to find. My Cobra can be serviced at any Ford dealer in North America.
Old 11/5/04, 11:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Wolfie351@November 5, 2004, 11:08 AM
The S351 used the V6 as a base. All the S281s start off as GTs. In the eyes of the gov, Saleen is a manufacturer and not a tuner. Dollar for dollar, the '03/04 SVT is a much better performer but the Saleen has excusivity and a much better resale value.
I agree. The only Saleen's that were made from gutted v6 donor cars were the S-351's. All the others (base S-281, SC, and the "E") were all souped up 4.6L 2V GT's. The reason for this was because it would cost less to do a 351W conversion on a v6 than on a GT. As for the Cobra vs. Saleen argument....I'd say go for the SVT cuz its more bang for the buck than the Saleen. Although with the S-281, you get more exclusivity and a unique look, but for a higher price. But you can always buy a Saleen body kit and slap it onto the Cobra if you want the looks, just don't go around town claiming that its an authentic Saleen, even though it might be faster, or ya might get flamed by the purists.
Old 11/6/04, 10:08 PM
V6 Member

I'll be getting a saleen cobra when the next cobra comes out. You can actually order a saleen cobra from a dealership thats both an svt an saleen licensed dealer and it will be an authentic saleen and it won't just be the body kit. Then you can go around town saying you have one of rarest saleens., sure its gonna cost an arm and a leg but i'm a mustang nut and i'm not into owning a beamer or a benz just not my style so i'd rather spend the $60k+ on a collectable stang. i think there were only 6 made in '03 and even less than that in previous years.
Old 11/7/04, 07:53 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Justin281@November 7, 2004, 12:11 AM
I'll be getting a saleen cobra when the next cobra comes out. You can actually order a saleen cobra from a dealership thats both an svt an saleen licensed dealer and it will be an authentic saleen and it won't just be the body kit. Then you can go around town saying you have one of rarest saleens., sure its gonna cost an arm and a leg but i'm a mustang nut and i'm not into owning a beamer or a benz just not my style so i'd rather spend the $60k+ on a collectable stang. i think there were only 6 made in '03 and even less than that in previous years.
Justin, yes, the Saleen Cobras are rare, but but also very pricey. If a new Cobra hits the $50K mark, expect to add at least $15K for a Saleen. Considering it will only be cosmetic, that's a lot money for a couple of bolt-ons. To each their own. B)
Old 11/7/04, 08:15 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
On the Saleen, some parts are paid for twice, which wind up being sold as take offs. That's one of the reasons for the additional $15K Rob mentions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SVT Cobra vs Saleen S281 SC