Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

RS-3 tires

Search this Thread

Old 4/18/12, 07:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RS-3 tires

Was doing some research on tires with an eye on RS-3s and ran across this. Didnt see it posted elsewhere. I think Im sold on the summers but not sure about the A/Ss in snow. Opinions?

http://mustangs.about.com/od/accessories/ss/Review-Cooper-Zeon-Rs3S-Rs3A-Tires.htm

Also, Ive got 18x9s but am not sure which size is best for a 13 GT. Im thinking 275s in the rear, but there are two choices: 275/35s & 275/40s. The 40s are about 3# heavier each, so 12# heavier overall and I prefer lower profile but is there a gain with a 40 AR over 35? And any reason to get different sizes for summer/winter?

And do I want 275s up front too? If not, why? Here is what is available:

225/40R1892YXL
225/45R1895WXL
235/40R1895YXL
235/50R1897W
245/40R1897YXL
245/45R1896Y
255/35R1890Y
255/40R1899YXL
275/35R1899YXL
275/40R1899Y
Old 4/18/12, 07:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I have the Cooper Zeon RS3-A in stock 17" size, and I gotta tell you, they seem to be rather amazing, wet or dry.

I can't speak to the longevity yet, but I know exactly when I put them on at 77500 miles, so I will know how long they last for fairly average driving.

I can't speak for snow either. I would probably not do that on these, but then, I'm of the opinion that if I'm in a Mustang, snow=bad, don't do it.

But dry or rain? Heck. Yes. Twice, easily, I would buy these. They are, to me, the best ever tires I've ever run on any vehicle I've ever had... so far. Mileage will tell.

---

As to your reasons, here's the scoop: If you don't intend on rotating, then a staggered set, a-la the GT500s, is maybe a better deal for track type turning. The small difference is sidewall is likely only going to help in extremes, so I probably would just get them all the same size, myself. The width will affect turning in the front, but would help with hookin' up the rears.

It's really your choice, and there are literally *tons* of threads here and elsewhere on just that subject.

Me? Same=rotations=longer wear. I'm gettin' them all the same size.

/Second best ever were the BFG Touring T/As on Mark VIIs and VIIIs. But they changed them. Heard they were still good, or maybe even better, but they don't hold a candle to these Zeons, man. Seriously, get them.

Last edited by houtex; 4/18/12 at 07:25 PM.
Old 4/18/12, 08:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
I have the Cooper Zeon RS3-A in stock 17" size, and I gotta tell you, they seem to be rather amazing, wet or dry...
I can't speak for snow either. I would probably not do that on these, but then, I'm of the opinion that if I'm in a Mustang, snow=bad, don't do it.
Yeah, Ive driven a 6 in snow on Pirelli A/Ss w/out too much issue and I wont go out in the snow in the GT but its a DD and in NE sh*t just happens sometimes and ya get caught in it. Can usually use the wifes car for a day or two when needed.
But dry or rain? Heck. Yes. Twice, easily, I would buy these. They are, to me, the best ever tires I've ever run on any vehicle I've ever had... so far. Mileage will tell.
Awesomesauce. The Pirellis sucked in the rain IMO.
As to your reasons, here's the scoop: If you don't intend on rotating, then a staggered set, a-la the GT500s, is maybe a better deal for track type turning. The small difference is sidewall is likely only going to help in extremes, so I probably would just get them all the same size, myself. The width will affect turning in the front, but would help with hookin' up the rears.

It's really your choice, and there are literally *tons* of threads here and elsewhere on just that subject.
Yeah read lots but figured Id just tack on my Q with the link b/c I hadnt found all my answers yet. Much appreciate your thoughts. For the RS3-Ss I want to maintain good cornering on and off the track but am not sure what AR will give me the largest patch for traction w/out affecting cornering radius.
Me? Same=rotations=longer wear. I'm gettin' them all the same size.
Price is def a consideration for me so will do this with the A/Ss.
Seriously, get them.
Sold!