Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

GT500 Hood Vent

Old 12/22/09, 01:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GT500 Hood Vent

Oh mama, I did it. Finally cut into the hood and installed the GT500 vent. After prepping the vent with the dremel and belt sander, I made a paper template and centered it up. Then centered it up again. And again.

I used 3M urethane windshield adhesive to stick it in place, weighted it overnight, and so far it has held up just fine around town and on track with no sign of expansion/contraction related warpage. I'll post an update if it flies off.

And the obligatory post-***** track picture:

The surprise tech for me was that I am now seeing a consistent 10-15 deg F reduction in temperatures. The hood vent was the only change made. I didn't go over 200 deg F on the track--a very nice surprise for a $45 modification. Thanks to the guys on cornercarvers.com for first doing this.

Last edited by Import-Slaya; 12/22/09 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12/22/09, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i like! two thumbs up!

mo pics mo pics!

how was bw? what kinda times were you turning?
Old 12/22/09, 01:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Very cool. Saw that on C-C as well!

New car is lookin good
Old 12/22/09, 02:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by danbevsv6rumbler
i like! two thumbs up!

mo pics mo pics!

how was bw? what kinda times were you turning?
I'll post a few more pics. *LOVED* Buttonwillow!! We ran the 13-CW configuration. Very technical track and loads of fun. By the end of the day I was able to fairly consistently run ~2:15-2:16. Not slow, not fast. Just right for my first time back on track after the crash. So many different "sections" of the track to learn. I was able to get each one down fairly well, but need another few days to link them all. Sub-2:10's should be possible next time out. If I can find my nads.

Originally Posted by 06GT
Very cool. Saw that on C-C as well!

New car is lookin good
I tell you, drilling the first hole in the hood was a toughy. Worst case, though, it would have meant I just had to get the carbon fiber hood.

I'll start another post on the rollbar build I did in the next day or so.

Last edited by Import-Slaya; 12/22/09 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12/22/09, 03:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

And a few more pics. **** it's good to be back out there.

Old 12/23/09, 02:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been thinking about doing this on my SN ever since I saw that thread on C-C. Too cool.
Old 12/25/09, 08:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey nice job on the hood vent. Glad to see you back on track. Is that the same car that you crashed? Looks like you have a pretty stout cage in there now also.

Old 12/25/09, 09:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by fastduo
Hey nice job on the hood vent. Glad to see you back on track. Is that the same car that you crashed? Looks like you have a pretty stout cage in there now also.
Thanks--I was amazed at how functional it actually was. Different car, but basically a clone of the first one. In the next few days I'll do a writeup on the rollbar here. It isn't a full cage--just a 4-point with diagonals.
Old 12/25/09, 09:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Import-Slaya
Thanks--I was amazed at how functional it actually was. Different car, but basically a clone of the first one. In the next few days I'll do a writeup on the rollbar here. It isn't a full cage--just a 4-point with diagonals.

After I wrote this, I went back and searched your other thread and read about the deal with the old car. Glad to see you are back out again as that tramatic incident is enough to turn ppl away from the sport. I too have a 4pt custom but with only one diaganol. I am considering to go with a full cage this year.

Not to get too far off topic but, what suspension are you using? Do you know anyone using coilovers?
Old 12/25/09, 02:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

After I wrote this, I went back and searched your other thread and read about the deal with the old car. Glad to see you are back out again as that tramatic incident is enough to turn ppl away from the sport. I too have a 4pt custom but with only one diaganol. I am considering to go with a full cage this year.

Not to get too far off topic but, what suspension are you using? Do you know anyone using coilovers?
I think I just lucked out with the crash--no injuries at all, so I was rearing to get back out ASAP. But...my wife, who normally is fairly open to my hobbies, laid the law down with 2 demands: (1) Full safety gear--rollbar, seats, H&N device (I got the Defnder); and (2) a huge life insurance policy.

I'm still on D-specs/Eibach prokits/FRPP sways. I don't know anyone on coilovers yet. I've come close on a few occasions to getting the Koni Sports and then converting them with the Ground Control coilover kit. Maybe later this year...
Old 12/26/09, 06:08 AM
Bullitt Member

I have all Steeda Suspension bits with Tokico's and I would like to see my car lower and I have alot of Squat in the rear under hard acceleration (see photo below). Even with the shocks on their stiffest setting. I think I need some more spring in the rear.

Old 12/26/09, 08:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have all Steeda Suspension bits with Tokico's and I would like to see my car lower and I have alot of Squat in the rear under hard acceleration (see photo below). Even with the shocks on their stiffest setting. I think I need some more spring in the rear.
Wow--that is a lot of squat. Which Steeda springs? Comps or Sports/Ultralights? Also, have you corrected rear LCA geometry with relocation brackets? Bringing them to level should help if this hasn't been done. I haven't done that yet (still trying to figure out if I am going to time trial with NASA--if so, those relo brackets are too many points...).

Have you noticed a difference in rear end grip with the Steeda wing? I assume it is doing something, since quite a few teams have chosen to run in on their FR500c's in the Koni challenge.

By the way, your car looks great.
Old 12/26/09, 09:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry if i'm asking the obvious...what are the wheels in this pic? They are beautiful! GREAT car as well! Thanks.
Old 12/26/09, 09:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by crescent_wrench
Sorry if i'm asking the obvious...what are the wheels in this pic? They are beautiful! GREAT car as well! Thanks.

They are the Steeda Pentar 18 X 9.5" . Thanks for the complements.

Last edited by fastduo; 12/26/09 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12/26/09, 09:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Answered my question....

013-0007-45
Steeda Silver Pentar Wheel - 18" x 9.5" - '05-'09 $229.00
Old 12/26/09, 09:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow--that is a lot of squat. Which Steeda springs? Comps or Sports/Ultralights? Also, have you corrected rear LCA geometry with relocation brackets? Bringing them to level should help if this hasn't been done. I haven't done that yet (still trying to figure out if I am going to time trial with NASA--if so, those relo brackets are too many points...).

Have you noticed a difference in rear end grip with the Steeda wing? I assume it is doing something, since quite a few teams have chosen to run in on their FR500c's in the Koni challenge.

By the way, your car looks great.

The rear springs are the Steeda Competition springs. I do not have the rear relocation brackets.
I installed that rear wing and the front splitter to run my first Daytona last year. I can't say that I noticed any difference at Sebring, Homestead or PBIR as the fastest I can get is about 130 at Sebring.
At Daytona, I did not have a base line before the wing/splitter combo but the car felt good at nearly 150MPH with the wing and splitter. Seeing the Koni Challenge guys using them was the main decision that I got that particular wing. They spend the money on R & D so....It must be good...
Old 12/26/09, 09:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by crescent_wrench
Answered my question....

013-0007-45
Steeda Silver Pentar Wheel - 18" x 9.5" - '05-'09 $229.00

They also come in black....

Old 12/26/09, 06:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

They are beautiful!
Old 12/26/09, 08:34 PM

I'm still on D-specs/Eibach prokits/FRPP sways. I don't know anyone on coilovers yet. I've come close on a few occasions to getting the Koni Sports and then converting them with the Ground Control coilover kit. Maybe later this year...
I've been itching to upgrade to coils myself. Maybe later this year too. Not to change the subject but I was thinking of getting KW v3s. I've heard nothing but good about KW's. The Ground-control kit is about 1600, and I've been able to find kw v3s for about 1800. Guess I'll have to cross that bridge when I get to it!

Now back on topic... I realize the placement of the vent is for function, but just out of curiosity, might it be able to be placed further back?
Old 12/26/09, 10:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by danbevsv6rumbler
I've been itching to upgrade to coils myself. Maybe later this year too. Not to change the subject but I was thinking of getting KW v3s. I've heard nothing but good about KW's. The Ground-control kit is about 1600, and I've been able to find kw v3s for about 1800. Guess I'll have to cross that bridge when I get to it!

Now back on topic... I realize the placement of the vent is for function, but just out of curiosity, might it be able to be placed further back?
To continue the off-topic , my brother is running the v3's on his GTO and I was amazed at the ride quality. Very nice setup. I figure I can get the Konis for 750 and run them for a while. Then for another $450 I can get the conversion kit from GC when I get the itch.

As for the vent placement, it could definitely be placed further back and still remain functional to a point. Once you get within a foot or so of the windshield, though, you are in a high pressure area and instead of evacuating hot air, you will be forcing outside air into the engine bay.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT500 Hood Vent