Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Autocross or Road Racing!

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/14, 05:02 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Hey Steve, glad to your you're planning on tracking your Mustang! I've been impressed with the Track Pack (aka budget Boss). The car is a solid performer, and with some minor mods it takes on far more expensive German counterparts quite nicely.

I'm jealous about your trip to the 'ring. I've spent some time in Germany as well. Mostly near Stuttgart. I had a free weekend one time and tried to take the mountain twistiest in the Alps. Unfortunately I ended up hitting the local breweries Friday night, and woke up way too late the next day. I ended up having an awesome weekend in Munich, but I'm kicking myself for not taking the Swiss Alps drive opportunity. I guess I just like Heffeweisen too much.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 1/2/14 at 05:04 PM.
Old 1/2/14, 05:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Ministang
Myautoevents.com is another good place to find and register for local autocross and track day events.
+100
Old 1/2/14, 05:29 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by dmichaels
I don't know anyone that has auto-x a Boss but I know a number of tues who have done track days with their bosses. They do very well against most I the other cars out there.
I go every month locally except for july, aug and sept. (too hot!). Last May I went with my car (13 TP) and my 3 best friends. One 13 boss, a 12 m3 comp pkg and an 08 m3 (both coupe). The boss with suspension on 5 at all 4 corners ran dead even times with the m3's and even faster a couple of times. I sadly was a couple of seconds behind .

Last edited by typesredline; 1/2/14 at 05:33 PM.
Old 1/3/14, 01:54 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm actually thinking about participating in a couple of track days that have unlimited laps on the Ring. One of which you can rent some of the Pro's that drive in the European racing series cars such as DTM and the GT races. You can even rent the "Queen of the Ring" for a whole day and as many laps as you can stand. It's something like $1200 for the day.

http://www.destination-nurburgring.c...ys/instruction

I'm still trying to find out more info for events here in Germany. I missed the Nurburgring F1 race this year because I went to see some friends instead. This year I'm going for sure though.

The whole reason I bought my TP 5.0 is so that I could track it. My wife didn't seem to understand why I would buy it with that package and why I was so adamant until she rode with me a couple of times. Then she was like, "I get why you wanted your car like THIS". She's awesome.

Last edited by Stevedotmil; 1/3/14 at 01:56 AM.
Old 1/3/14, 04:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by typesredline
I go every month locally except for july, aug and sept. (too hot!). Last May I went with my car (13 TP) and my 3 best friends. One 13 boss, a 12 m3 comp pkg and an 08 m3 (both coupe). The boss with suspension on 5 at all 4 corners ran dead even times with the m3's and even faster a couple of times. I sadly was a couple of seconds behind .
What tracks?

The TP GT is very close to the boss... with track pads, brake cooling, and brake fluid, it can nearly keep up with a boss (with same brake upgrades). I ran similar times to a Boss at Watkins Glen, but also got beat up on by another 2011 GT that was tuned with aforementioned brake mods (before I had mine) and had track wheels/tires. He was about 6 seconds faster than I was (2.17-2.18 vs my 2.23-2.24). Anxious to see how my car responds to my brake upgrades and track wheel/tire setup this year

Any videos of your outings?
Old 1/3/14, 04:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I'm actually thinking about participating in a couple of track days that have unlimited laps on the Ring. One of which you can rent some of the Pro's that drive in the European racing series cars such as DTM and the GT races. You can even rent the "Queen of the Ring" for a whole day and as many laps as you can stand. It's something like $1200 for the day.

http://www.destination-nurburgring.c...ys/instruction

I'm still trying to find out more info for events here in Germany. I missed the Nurburgring F1 race this year because I went to see some friends instead. This year I'm going for sure though.

The whole reason I bought my TP 5.0 is so that I could track it. My wife didn't seem to understand why I would buy it with that package and why I was so adamant until she rode with me a couple of times. Then she was like, "I get why you wanted your car like THIS". She's awesome.
Sounds like you have an amazing wife. My wife accepts my car addiction but does not understand. At all. She drives a smart car and thinks its the best thing ever... need I say more? She has said several times as I install new parts "why didn't you just order it with the way you wanted it?" So at least I don't get $@#% for upgrades, just questioning why I have to do things to a brand new car.

Hope you get the car out on track in the spring/summer. The TP is a solid base for recreational track days.
Old 1/3/14, 06:22 PM
Cobra Member

What tracks? The TP GT is very close to the boss... with track pads, brake cooling, and brake fluid, it can nearly keep up with a boss (with same brake upgrades). I ran similar times to a Boss at Watkins Glen, but also got beat up on by another 2011 GT that was tuned with aforementioned brake mods (before I had mine) and had track wheels/tires. He was about 6 seconds faster than I was (2.17-2.18 vs my 2.23-2.24). Anxious to see how my car responds to my brake upgrades and track wheel/tire setup this year Any videos of your outings?
Local auto x club. Sadly it was the only event with all four of us. Shortly after, my buddy (13 boss) and his wife (08 m3) sold both cars. Don't ask why. Nobody knows other than they go through cars like undies.

The biggest difference was suspension. The cooling features would have no impact on times. As you said brakes were the same. But the boss was NOTICEABLY more firm and could handle things like slalom much better.
Old 1/3/14, 10:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to save until I can get either the KW V3's or Club Sports. I figure that one day I will be good enough driver where I WILL need all the adjustments and I don't want to spend the money twice. I have to decide what UCA/LCA/PHB set up to go with though. There are so many choices out there that it's a little overwhelming.
Old 1/4/14, 11:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I've considered doing the same, waiting to get a set of clubsports. Had V1's on my last car and loved them. The adjustable ones would be significantly better... we'll see, I'll most likely go with Koni Yellows which are at least partially adjustable. Should keep me happy for a couple years.

I got a BMR PHB recently. Got good reviews and seems to be a quality part. Will have it installed probably in the March timeframe and can advise how I like it. Also still undecided on control arms... have to talk to some of my Boss 302 friends this year

Mapped out 2014 events yesterday... quite a few options. Driving myself a bit nuts getting things planned out tho!
Old 1/11/14, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto-x you mean?

Can't wait for the spring to roll around here, only have put on ~100 miles since November on the Mustang. Very sad. 2014 looks to a good track season I think though!!
Yea the Auto-X at the HPD training academy.
Old 1/11/14, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by typesredline
My Boss came with the Ford Racing M-5300 springs on it. I guess the first owner wanted it lower. I am not sure if this hurts or helps anything yet. I kinda thought it didn't need springs since the stock one are adjustable?
Old 1/11/14, 09:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

The adjustable struts/shocks are definitely better than non-adjustable, but lots of people have upgraded them and felt improvements. I'll end up going with Koni Yellows which should keep me happy for several years.

The lowering springs help cornering and reducing brake dive. Overall a good thing
Old 1/14/14, 06:40 PM
Cobra Member

The adjustable struts/shocks are definitely better than non-adjustable, but lots of people have upgraded them and felt improvements. I'll end up going with Koni Yellows which should keep me happy for several years. The lowering springs help cornering and reducing brake dive. Overall a good thing
It appears everyone likes the yellows. Are Koni yellows the best choice out there? I already have frpp k springs. Just waiting on my stock shocks to blow to upgrade.
Old 1/14/14, 07:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Sky Hye
It appears everyone likes the yellows. Are Koni yellows the best choice out there? I already have frpp k springs. Just waiting on my stock shocks to blow to upgrade.
Seem to be the best strut/shock option. My funding doesn't quite allow for what I'd really like (KW clubsports), but the Koni's seem to be about the best lower budget option. They are single adjustable rather than separate compression/rebound, but can't beat the cost vs quality it seems.

I'm still debating whether I want to put on my springs on the stock TP shocks/struts or just wait for new shocks/struts before doing the overall installation... hate to do basically the same job twice, but really would love to get the car lowered.
Old 1/14/14, 07:32 PM
Cobra Member

Seem to be the best strut/shock option. My funding doesn't quite allow for what I'd really like (KW clubsports), but the Koni's seem to be about the best lower budget option. They are single adjustable rather than separate compression/rebound, but can't beat the cost vs quality it seems. I'm still debating whether I want to put on my springs on the stock TP shocks/struts or just wait for new shocks/struts before doing the overall installation... hate to do basically the same job twice, but really would love to get the car lowered.
I don't regret it. The install wasn't so bad. I did it without a spring compressor. The stiffness in the coils really made a huge difference when turning corners and accelerating/braking hard. Plus it looks much better without the absurd wheel gap. When my struts give out I'll be much faster this at the install time around hehe.
Old 1/14/14, 07:34 PM
GT Member

Has any one tried air springs? Seems like a good idea to me, seems like it would be a good all round suspension, smooth for cruising, and you can slam the car for better performance at the track...
http://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/95723/
Price seems stiff, but any personal experiences?
Old 1/14/14, 07:39 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Fudge
Has any one tried air springs? Seems like a good idea to me, seems like it would be a good all round suspension, smooth for cruising, and you can slam the car for better performance at the track... http://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/95723/ Price seems stiff, but any personal experiences?
All I think about when I see those are low riders and slammed imports. Not sure about their performance. My dream is a ford racing or similar adjustable suspension kit. That and better tires and the boss won't know what hit it!
Old 1/15/14, 11:21 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

If I remember correctly, there was a car (want to say Mustang) at the 2013 Grassroots Motorsports yearly challenge at VIR that had the air suspension. Car performed well if I'm thinking of the correct one. Not sure I would do it though, it's not something I've seen on any real race cars out there. Remote reservoir setup seems to be the best. I'm not nearly good enough to notice shock degradation due to heat during a track session, so I'm not personally concerned with a remote reservoir setup anytime soon. Would be the "no budget" choice though!

I might install my springs on the stock struts... would be nice to have a little less roll and get rid of my nasty brake dive!
Old 1/19/14, 07:30 AM
GT Member

The air springs IMO don't work on the track (but I never used them) I saw a video where they said they are better than coil overs so I was wondering if anyone has tried these!!

Any way back to the topic at hand I want to lower my car about an inch or so, was thinking if going with Steeda Ultra Lites, and keep the factory struts. Since I'm not going to see a lot of track use, should I get new struts as well or will the factory ones work, and how well do the Steeda springs work. (Went with Steeda because the rest seems like they will lower the car more than I want)

And for the rear suspension, I'm looking into a complete Whiteline setup, but was told you need an adjustable upper control arm, Whiteline's lower control arms are adjustable, but from what I can see the upper is not.
So question is .... Do I need, or should I get, an adjustable upper control arm?
If I should get an adjustable upper control arm, I kinda want the whole suspension one brand (since it was all designed to work together, and I may be wrong in this) anyone have and recommendations or feedback on this?
Old 4/23/14, 11:37 AM

Whiteline UCL is adjustable via excentric bushing (hole is off center) You might want to look at a cortex watts link as well. Similar to whiteline, but gives you 4 choices of location of propeller hub location to adjust roll center location. If you went with the Cortex watts + their torque link, it replaces the UCL, but it requires adjustable lower control arms to boot. All in all something like $2500.00 for all the components