Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Perma-plate.........

Search this Thread

Old 9/26/05, 05:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dealer insists that all new cars get "Perma-plate" coating on their interior and exterior to stop the paint from oxidizing and keep the interior from getting stained to the tune of $695. I asked what it was and the only one who could explain anything said it's some kind of liquid they put on the paint and then it dries clear. He had no clue what it does to the interior. I noticed it this weekend, and he said they "have to put it on ALL new vehicles" and then I said DO NOT put it on mine. He told me to call back today and he'll have an answer.

I'm sure this stuff is snake oil, but is it worth anything? Does it even do anything?
Old 9/26/05, 06:06 AM
Cobra Member

:nono: Dealer ripoff of $695. Just tell them, NO way, not worth a dollar to me, drop the deal if need be. Once had a dealer tell me that they aready put that kind of protection on all their new Cobras because they are setting outside. Well then how did they remove and replace all the factory plastic covering so well? Ahh, yea, sure. I don't think so.
Old 9/26/05, 06:16 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally I would pass on it. Being told that you have to get it, well, they shouldn't be charging you for it because it sounds like they are forcing you to get it. If you get it you can never wax the car. The kicker is lets say a year from now you get a scratch and take it to the dealer to fix it. They buff it out and the "wax" the area. Rarely do they ever retreat the area properly. My father-in-law had a car that was treated. 2 years later he had to get the hood repainted. He still thought it was treated even though it was taken to the dealer for repair. Now he has a hood that he has to wax but cannot get wax on the other parts.

It is pure profit. I worked for a company that detailed cars. To stainguard the interior we charged close to $150.00 but it only cost us $2.00 in product.
Old 9/26/05, 07:09 AM
GT Member

All that stuff is is a polymer sealant. They spend "MAYBE" $50 for the product AND application. BIG money maker for them (so is undercoat, glass VIN # etching, gold packs, etc).
One of my employees also sell this stuff to dealers. It is NOT a miracle product.
Do NOT waste your money. If you want good protection get some Waxing Frenzy wax ( www.cleaningfrenzy.com ) as it is the EASIEST wax on & off that I've ever used. Began using it in my boat. It was so good, I use it on my cars.
Want better product? Then use Zaino ( www.zainostore.com )
but you need at least 4 layers for that deep shine and although a great product, it IS very labor intensive.
Old 9/26/05, 08:08 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd tell them no. The dealer does not make money from selling the car itself. They make there money from all the add on's such as dealer processing fees, paint sealant protection, extended warrranties, extended oil changes etc. The dealer already has the money you paid for your car thats all they need.
Old 9/26/05, 10:12 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It would DEFINITELY be a deal breaker for me! You can get a better product that what the are using from Zaino (the whole master kit cost me only $124 I think. Plus time of course!).

If they insist that they "Have to put it on", then tell them "ok. But it's free." If they won't go with that, walk away. Or better yet, run! If they are willing to screw you around before you even bought the car, what do you think they will do after they have your money?
Old 9/26/05, 10:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

It is definitely some ripoff. I got reemed up the ****...I got my new stang and thought it was some clearcoat add on or something. Nope, it is just a bottle of wax....I want my money back! Stay Away
Old 9/26/05, 06:45 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally posted by chorpeac@September 26, 2005, 9:34 AM
It is definitely some ripoff. I got reemed up the ****...I got my new stang and thought it was some clearcoat add on or something. Nope, it is just a bottle of wax....I want my money back! Stay Away
Same here. They charged me 1000.00 for MagnaShield! I should have known!
Old 9/26/05, 07:11 PM
GT Member

Yup. I feel pretty gay for getting it done "Platinum Shield" but mine has a life-time warranty with it, for rust, the whole bit. I also get an inspection every 24 months. Any problems and they pay to have it repainted/repaired. Same with the undercoat. Sounds better than a bottle of wax too me I think.

Living up here in Ottawa thought I'm willing to try anything to keep this car rust free. Except garaging it of course.

-C
Old 9/26/05, 07:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Just pure dealer profit margin. Dealer Ripoff...(in my opinion).
Old 9/26/05, 07:45 PM
GT Member

2 questions:

1. Can you wax it.
2. Can you powerspray it?

-C
Old 9/26/05, 08:24 PM
Bullitt Member

heck no. Just do yourself a favor and order two bottles of Simply Z-Best car wax for $20. Not only does it give your 'Stang a showroom shine, it's also fire-resistant.

Old 9/26/05, 08:44 PM
Bullitt Member

I was offered the exact same thing but I didn't get any of this "we have to put it on" bs.
Old 9/26/05, 10:23 PM
Bullitt Member

What a joke. He's trying to make an easy buck off you. I would have went off on the guy.
Old 9/27/05, 06:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Well, I was pretty sure it's worthless, but just wanted to make sure. I called up and said, "Do you have any documentation that shows I ordered or wanted that done to my vehicle that contains my signature on it?" He replied with a simple, "No." I'm going tomorrow to get them to sign something saying even if they do prep the car with Perma-plate I wont be paying a cent. Thanks for the help.
Old 9/27/05, 09:22 PM
V6 Member

How do you remove it if you have it already?
Old 9/27/05, 09:42 PM
FR500 Member

when they tried to sell it to me i stopped the guy dead in his tracks with a big fat NO
Old 9/27/05, 10:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Tried it with me also through Military Car Sales. The sales guy here in Germany nor his manager had the authority to take it off my order when I placed it. They had to send a request to their main offices in New York for it to be taken off. What does that tell ya? Pushing for that sale. Still took about two weeks after I placed my order to get a new Buyer's Offer (Receipt).