Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Clear coat scratches...grrr !!!

Search this Thread

Old 6/10/08, 11:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear coat scratches...grrr !!!

guys and gals,

I have these stinking scratches on the roof of my car in the clear coat. They are very light, such that my nail will not snag on them. You can't even really see them until you get your face up on there and look at it from the right angle. But no matter, I know there are there and it drives me nuts!

I've tried scratch removers and other stuff, but either I'm doing something wrong or that crap just doesn't work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Should I just take it into a detail shop and have 'em buffed out? How much does that kinda work generally run?

Last edited by Rebel73; 6/11/08 at 09:47 AM.
Old 6/11/08, 06:24 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I assume that the scratch removers you used were applied by hand or with a very inexpensive buffer. The best way to get the scratches out is with a mild abbrasive polish such as Pinnacle Advanced Swirl remove or 3M Finishing polish. Mind you, this should be done with a Dual Action buffer like a Porter Cable 7424. I have seen several instances where scratches like that can't be removed by hand (and sometimes makes a mess of the clearcoat) but are easily removed with a proper buffer.
Old 6/11/08, 09:46 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by adrenalin
I assume that the scratch removers you used were applied by hand or with a very inexpensive buffer. The best way to get the scratches out is with a mild abbrasive polish such as Pinnacle Advanced Swirl remove or 3M Finishing polish. Mind you, this should be done with a Dual Action buffer like a Porter Cable 7424. I have seen several instances where scratches like that can't be removed by hand (and sometimes makes a mess of the clearcoat) but are easily removed with a proper buffer.
yah, I've tried many of those standard removers, Scratch X and such, and did it by hand. but I think you're right. I'm gonna need a buffer. I should probably invest in one cause these scratches seem to be inevitable.

Last edited by Rebel73; 6/11/08 at 09:49 AM.
Old 6/11/08, 11:19 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Rebel73
yah, I've tried many of those standard removers, Scratch X and such, and did it by hand. but I think you're right. I'm gonna need a buffer. I should probably invest in one cause these scratches seem to be inevitable.
If you get a buffer, made sure you "practice" on someone else's car before you do yours; it's easy to burn through the paint. As an alternative, you may want to consider going to a body shop and pay a pro to do it.

Last edited by WaltM; 6/11/08 at 11:21 AM.
Old 6/11/08, 11:38 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally Posted by WaltM
If you get a buffer, made sure you "practice" on someone else's car before you do yours; it's easy to burn through the paint. As an alternative, you may want to consider going to a body shop and pay a pro to do it.
Get the porter cable 7424. You will not burn the paint. The design prevents people from doing this. Very easy to do. Autogeek.net even has videos. Anyone can do it without worrying about burning the paint. That typically only happens when using a high speed buffer (I have one of those as well).
Old 6/11/08, 12:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

I had this light scratch on the lower part of my door, where hte "hockey stick" starts, and I used Meguire's Machine Glaze #3. Its VERY mild, and it took the light scratch right out, and I did it by hand. Mind you, I did apply a liberal amount of pressure, but it worked fine. Mequire's products are fantastic for getting those light, clearcoat surface scratches out.
Old 6/19/08, 09:14 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

Used an orbital buffer ( Mekita varible speed) and 3M Ultra finnese 3000 on the wifes car.
This product is sort of like liquid 3000 grit sand paper.

Followed with Wolfgangs Paint sealant prep and then the paint sealant itself.

Topped it with multiple coats of Pinnacle Carnuba.

AHHHH perfection in 2 days work.

TDS
Old 6/19/08, 10:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mine is black. The Porter Cable, Zaino PC, and the rest of the Zaino package to top it off has mine looking better then the day I picked it up
Old 6/19/08, 11:01 PM

I ordered my Porter Cable last week and can't wait to get it. Black car with lots of swirls and scratches. Hawaii isn't good to cars with the salt air and volcanic ash that we occasionally get from the Big Island.
Old 6/20/08, 09:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

Those scratches on the roof are more likely from parking under a tree branch. A little wind and el scratcho mundo.
Old 6/26/08, 07:49 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by adrenalin
I assume that the scratch removers you used were applied by hand or with a very inexpensive buffer. The best way to get the scratches out is with a mild abbrasive polish such as Pinnacle Advanced Swirl remove or 3M Finishing polish. Mind you, this should be done with a
Dual Action
buffer like a Porter Cable 7424. I have seen several instances where scratches like that can't be removed by hand (and sometimes makes a mess of the clearcoat) but are easily removed with a proper buffer.
what does this mean?
Old 6/26/08, 07:55 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally Posted by Boltzman
what does this mean?
Dual Action (DA) buffers spin the pad in both a circular and oval rotation at the same time.

Great link on how they work.

http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polisher.html
Old 6/27/08, 03:52 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks. I need to invest yet more $$$$