Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

The 'ask any detailing question' thread

Old 4/23/14, 06:44 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
I also have SUPER hard water at home. It's ridiculous, I literally couldn't see out of my side mirror with my Focus after it was hit was the sprinklers a few days in a row in 90* weather. I spent HOURS polishing just my windows...I've looked at filters and water treatment, but it is pretty expensive. My primary concern isn't so much with the wash water (I tend not to get many water spots after a wash), but protection from rain and sprinkler water. I managed to get the paint all polished and sealed with Klasse sealant/glaze before the sprinklers are turned on...but what about the windows? I see the klasse is OK for glass, but is there a better product? Since I already have the klasse, will it do? I'm going to polish them all up here pretty soon and get something on them so I don't have to worry with etching. Also, I put two coats of the klasse on the paint about a week ago. I've been thinking about another 1-2 coats on to see how it looks. Can I just quick detail everything and go about with the klasse again? Any need to do any other prep before hand? And does anyone put wax on top of the sealant? I was hoping for a darker hue to the "shine", something that carnuba wax has got me in the past. If I go that route, how long between applying the sealant and the wax? Oh, and how about the klasse on the the wheels?
Ive used klasse polish and sealant on my glass with great results. I just picked up some gripts garage stuff from my advance auto parts store here and im gonna try it out the weekend. One of those products was the glass sealant and im really curios as to how well it will stand up to hardwater. I always start with eagle one glass cleaner then do a light coat of the klasse.

I will add a small review this weekend about griots glass sealant
Old 4/23/14, 06:46 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by eromzek
Thanks. When you state that I'm looking at it wrong, you mean my approach to polishing more heavily scratched areas of the car vs the less scratched areas? I think what you're offering is that I need to apply the same exact application consistently across the entire vehicle, one panel at a time. Do you agree with my steps and product(-Polish using Porter Cable 7424->1 pass with Meguiar's 205, then finish it off with 3M Ultrafine )? Your comments about 'Not easy to do, and now you're going to tackle this with little experience'.. makes me a bit paranoid, especially since the reason I've never polished is because I hate the idea of applying an abrasive to my car's paint.. I certainly don't want to screw this up.. I think I'm going to practice on another vehicle 1st and watch me a lot of Junkman. thanks, Erik
Practicing on another vehicle pr if ypu have pne a spare body panel is the best way to refine your process and approach.
If you got a DA (dual action) polisher it would make a huge difference. Theyre very user friendly and Meguiars even makes an attachment to ise with a drill (wprks great) but a dedicated DA polisher like a Porter Cable or Rupes will be great.
Old 4/23/14, 08:11 AM
Detailing Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eromzek
Thanks.
When you state that I'm looking at it wrong, you mean my approach to polishing more heavily scratched areas of the car vs the less scratched areas? I think what you're offering is that I need to apply the same exact application consistently across the entire vehicle, one panel at a time. Do you agree with my steps and product(-Polish using Porter Cable 7424->1 pass with Meguiar's 205, then finish it off with 3M Ultrafine )?

Your comments about 'Not easy to do, and now you're going to tackle this with little experience'.. makes me a bit paranoid, especially since the reason I've never polished is because I hate the idea of applying an abrasive to my car's paint.. I certainly don't want to screw this up.. I think I'm going to practice on another vehicle 1st and watch me a lot of Junkman.

thanks,
Erik
What was wrong was the idea of using less pressure or more pressure in various areas. Polish consistently and you'll be fine.

I don't think you're going to damage your vehicle. While it is possible to do so with a DA, it is highly unlikely to the point I'd recommend it to anyone. The first panel or two will be a little nerve wrecking only because it's your first time. Keep medium pressure and arm speed and concentrate on keeping a 50% overlap in your movements and I think you'll be fine. By the time you're a few panels in, you'll be rocking.
Old 4/23/14, 08:43 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I'll give it a try on glass then. Any word on using wax over the Klasse? Is it even worth it?
Old 4/23/14, 09:33 AM
FR500 Member

I'll give it a try on glass then. Any word on using wax over the Klasse? Is it even worth it?
On glass i wouldnt recommend iy inly because it can create buildup on the side windows if you roll em up ir down only partial way, the sealant is fine.
However i e used rain-x treatment over klasse with great results. Just helps it last longer and you can dry your glass with a desk fan lol
(Yes i tried)
Old 4/23/14, 09:43 AM
Cobra R Member

Yeah, I've never liked wax on glass, that would be paint only.

Is the Meguiars gold class carnuba reasonably good? Pretty sure I still have a tub of that somewhere...would prefer not having to buy more stuff.
Old 4/23/14, 10:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I've never liked wax on glass, that would be paint only. Is the Meguiars gold class carnuba reasonably good? Pretty sure I still have a tub of that somewhere...would prefer not having to buy more stuff.
its alright
Old 4/23/14, 10:59 AM
FR500 Member

Yeah, I've never liked wax on glass, that would be paint only. Is the Meguiars gold class carnuba reasonably good? Pretty sure I still have a tub of that somewhere...would prefer not having to buy more stuff.
Durability could be better but as for gloss and water sheeting/beading abilities its pretty good. There are pkenty pther products put there that do wonders though. For around the same proce you can get a tin pf Collinite 915. Pop the top with a screwdriver, rub your pad in a bit (stuffs pretty dense, will last a loong time) and go to town. Only need thin coats as this stuff can get a lil harder to buff out if too much is used. Its basically a sealant but in wax form. Will bead and sheet water for (in my experience) around 6 months minimum through the harshest stuff. Really nice shine and gloss and its a classic looking package as well. I recommend it highly
Old 4/23/14, 07:52 PM
Detailing Guru

Had to restock on a few things. Super excited to have ordered a couple of things I plan on using on my car once I get her out of storage though. A couple of nice wash mitts and dedicated colored buckets strictly for my baby.

Name:  CBUwvJc.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  503 Bytes
Old 4/23/14, 09:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcHarris
Had to restock on a few things. Super excited to have ordered a couple of things I plan on using on my car once I get her out of storage though. A couple of nice wash mitts and dedicated colored buckets strictly for my baby.
HOLY COW.
Old 4/24/14, 09:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MarcHarris

At first I thought that was one rethickulously expensive mitt, until I saw that there were 85 items in the cart! lol
Old 4/24/14, 09:21 AM
Cobra R Member

I actually found some Griot's Best of Show wax in the cupboard...I think I'll use that over the Klasse.

I also polished my windows yesterday, got rid of 90% of the gross water stains/etches.

That being said, I still find it **** near impossible to get these windows 100% clean. I don't mean from water spots, but when I clean them (window cleaner sans ammonia + microfiber) I'm always left with smudges and lint. I even get lint with my good MF towels. It feels like someone sprayed a bunch of oil on all the windows and some of it's just being smeared around.

Any thoughts on that?
Old 4/24/14, 09:37 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I actually found some Griot's Best of Show wax in the cupboard...I think I'll use that over the Klasse.

I also polished my windows yesterday, got rid of 90% of the gross water stains/etches.

That being said, I still find it **** near impossible to get these windows 100% clean. I don't mean from water spots, but when I clean them (window cleaner sans ammonia + microfiber) I'm always left with smudges and lint. I even get lint with my good MF towels. It feels like someone sprayed a bunch of oil on all the windows and some of it's just being smeared around.

Any thoughts on that?
I also would love some good advice on cleaning car windows. I am real hit and miss whether mine come out right. One thing I read was to clean them in direct sunlight.

Last edited by phiggs54; 4/24/14 at 09:57 AM.
Old 4/24/14, 09:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by phiggs54

I also would love some good advice on cleaning car windows. I am real hit and miss whether my come out right. One thing I read was to clean them in direct sunlight.
That's the only way to see all of the imperfections I think, but then everything dries so fast!
Old 4/24/14, 11:25 AM
Detailing Guru

You guys are killing me.

Cleaning glass with normal good microfiber towels? Come on man. You can't do that: theyll leave trace amounts of lint. You have to use glass-specific towels. Made with a super tight low nap that doesn't lint.

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...02/16-x-12-S1/

Another alternative I've used with great results are surgical towels "huck" towels that have a good bite on glass and won't lint.

Amazon.com - Surgical Cotton Huck Towels Blue 15" X 25" - Pack of 12 Pcs - Household Cleaning Wipes And Cloths Amazon.com - Surgical Cotton Huck Towels Blue 15" X 25" - Pack of 12 Pcs - Household Cleaning Wipes And Cloths
Old 4/24/14, 11:31 AM
Detailing Guru

Originally Posted by mcate
At first I thought that was one rethickulously expensive mitt, until I saw that there were 85 items in the cart! lol
Yea; more pads (5.5inch for the Rupes 21 with the Rupes 17 backing plate and a few 3 inch), couple buckets, new wheel face brush, an extra bottle of Born to be Mild, 20 yellow foam applicators, tarminator cans, couple TUF shine brushes for tire cleaning, 6 grit guards (to sell to clients - people always need them), and a few more items. One of my clients also piggybacked on my order, so about $120 worth is his. Also take into account I get a good discount from DI, so the total isn't correct but it still isn't cheap.
Old 4/24/14, 12:06 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm curious, are small diameter orbitals worth the money? I use a 6" currently. The issue I find is that using it on some panels (namely the trunk lid which has a spoiler, and the bumpers) is difficult as there's just too much stuff in the way, or the panels are too small. Also, the 6" is useless on the side mirrors or quarter windows.

I try and tape everything off pretty well which mitigates some of the issues...but will a smaller polisher make life easier and allow for more polishing to be done with the machine versus by hand?

I hate doing it by hand, I never get it done as well as the machine.
Old 4/24/14, 02:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, I've never liked wax on glass, that would be paint only.

Is the Meguiars gold class carnuba reasonably good? Pretty sure I still have a tub of that somewhere...would prefer not having to buy more stuff.
Meg's Gold Class is okay, but it does not have a whole lot of durability. My go to Meg's produc for LSP is #21 Synthetic Sealant. After a day, it can be topped with a carnauba to give the car a warmer look.

Last edited by DaGonz; 4/24/14 at 08:56 PM.
Old 4/24/14, 02:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by phiggs54

I also would love some good advice on cleaning car windows. I am real hit and miss whether my come out right. One thing I read was to clean them in direct sunlight.
Windows are a pain...
I clean windows in the garage when I am detailing, but I do check it in direct sunlight. One thing I do is to clean the inside with one motion, the outside with another, i.e., inside I clean with a horizontal movement, outside I will do a vertical or vice versa. When you pull the car out into the sun, if you see streaking, you will know what side of the glass needs to be redone. Having dedicated glass cleaning microfibers is a must!

Last edited by DaGonz; 4/24/14 at 02:31 PM.
Old 4/24/14, 02:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by DaGonz

Windows are a pain...
I clean windows in the garage when I am detailing, but I do check it in direct sunlight. One thing I do is to clean the inside with one motion, the outside with another, i.e., inside I clean with a horizontal movement, outside I will do a vertical or vice versa. When you pull the car out into the sun, if you see streaking, you will know what side of the glass needs to be redone. Having dedicated glass cleaning microfibers is a must!
Great idea!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The 'ask any detailing question' thread