General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

MAINTAINING CHROME WHEELS

Old 9/12/11, 01:02 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAINTAINING CHROME WHEELS

Just curious what is the best to use on Chrome (steel) Wheels to keep them looking showroom Clean??
Old 9/12/11, 03:28 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Never drive on a gravel road. It's bad to drive with them on during the winter, if you live where they put down salt. If they get dirty, especially with salt, clean them ASAP. When you clean them dry them off. Use a chrome polish to keep them shining.
Old 9/12/11, 04:31 PM
V6 Member

Wrap them in plastic and leave them in the garage.

No, seriously, as noted...avoid anything but pavement (and actually...that's iffy in some places) and use a good polish. I actually just pulled my Mach rims off Saturday night and gave them their annual inside and out 100% polish....amazing what a difference it makes. You think they are shiny until you do that and then its WHOA.
Old 9/12/11, 05:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mothers has a good polish I used years back when I had chrome wheels.
Old 9/12/11, 05:13 PM
GT Member

Was curious on name brands , And also if anyone uses a spay on and wipe off wax for wheels that doesn't leave a white residue? And works good Or if using mothers/another type of wax similar is the best option? Rims are brand new and i'm wanting to keep for a long time (Foose Nitrous are the wheels and they have those rivets around the edge that will be hard to keep clean)
Old 9/12/11, 05:21 PM
GT Member

Correction: Triple Chrome Plated. This wheel is plated in a three step process that includes copper, nickel, and then chrome for a bright show winning shine. Lighter than other chrome wheels which are steel underneath, these wheels are cast from lightweight aluminum so they won't slow you down.
Old 9/12/11, 05:27 PM
GT Member

I have used Mothers chrome wax before, But was wondering if there are any Meguires products anyone has used they recommend or any other waxes or spray waxes out there that are comparable
Old 9/12/11, 05:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
I use the megs quick detailer and like the way it works. That is what I use most of the time. I also have used megs gold class wax from time to time with good results. I am glad you started this thread as I would like to know what other people use also.
Old 9/12/11, 05:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I've been using the Meguires and Black Fire wheel cleaners lately on the RTR'S that just spray on and hose off. I like both equally, but wouldn't buy the BF again because it's expensive. Not sure if they work on chrome, I'll check when I get home and get back to you.
Old 9/12/11, 05:45 PM
GT Member

I figure i will have to wax by hand a couple times a year and then was hoping i could find a spray wax that i could use in between hand waxing thru the summer while washing the car/rims
Old 9/12/11, 05:47 PM
GT Member

Glenn, The meguires quick detailer..... is that for chrome rims?
Old 9/12/11, 05:49 PM
GT Member

Hytek, That's what i was wanting but curious if that is for Chrome wheels also. So yea if you could check i would be grateful
Old 9/12/11, 05:53 PM
GT Member

ucdavis4.0gpa, Do you use a paste wax or a spray? If so what type do you use? I will only have my car out on nice days/weekends etc... No gravel roads here! lol, Atleast not in the stang anyways, then prob. store them in bags thru the winter also
Old 9/12/11, 06:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Keep them clean. That's it. Chrome itself is very hardy, but doesn't respond to the things mentioned above well. Rocks, salt, bashings.

Simply don't mess them up, keep them clean, and they'll be just fine. You can chrome polish them a little, but you can go too far with chrome, it's just a very few micrometers deep, even triple plated. And chrome is best when it doesn't have any film to mar it's beauty. Waxes and such do this. Chrome is MADE to be uncovered... that's why it's chrome.
Old 9/12/11, 07:04 PM
Bullitt Member

I had chrome Bullitts on my last car- LOVED them. They are not hard to keep clean, the trick is to do it regularly. You dont need to use harsh polishes- I just sprayed them down with wheel cleaner and rinsed them off then gave a good buff at least once a week. Kept them shiny as could be.
Old 9/12/11, 07:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sturgis
Glenn, The meguires quick detailer..... is that for chrome rims?
The Meguires quick detailer is for quick cleaning in between waxing. Basically you use it for stuff like bird bombs or something to maintain your wax and paint in between waxing. I use it and the NXT stuff, both work great. Good to keep it in your car with a rag for emergencies.
Old 9/12/11, 09:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Here they are. They say safe for all wheel types. The meguires runs like $6 a bottle and the BF is $20. Like I said before, that stuff is great, but I'm not paying $20 for it again...still can't figure out why I did in the first place lol.
Attached Images  
Old 9/13/11, 05:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
Megs quick detail, I don't know if its for chrome but it does do a very nice job. I used that megs hot rims stuff once. Thats it no more didn't like it. I can send you the unused portion if you like. lol It left a residue on my rims that wasn't any fun to get off.
Old 9/14/11, 09:29 PM
GT Member

Sorry i been checking out some products from Meguiars, Still unsure as to what i will be using? But i called them and talked with Nick and he suggested "Ultimate Quick Wax" A spray on wax and to remove it with a microfiber towel, It won't leave a white residue either! So thats important to me cuz the rims have the rivets on them and i can just spray them and coat that area good and if i miss some wax it wont show to bad! Thanks for the replies and im still interested in what everyone uses, so keep em coming please!!
Old 9/14/11, 09:35 PM
GT Member

Thanks, RVAStangGT05 , houtex , Planeswalker , Hytek , And also Glenn thank you for the offer but it would prob. cost just as much to have it sent as it would to buy in here?? (just guessing?) But thank you for the offer, Very nice of you!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MAINTAINING CHROME WHEELS