GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotta buy my 1st ever radar detector

...I can't drive 55...

Valentine One seems to be the best???
Old 1/1/12, 02:37 PM
Bullitt Member

There are some better radar detectors out there now; I'd look at the Beltronics STI Magnum or STI-R Plus. Both are undetectable by radar detector detectors, and dont have as many false alarms as the V1. The ST-R Plus is top of the line. Also you might want to look at the M-47 Laser Jammer, which will help you with the instant-on radar.
Old 1/1/12, 02:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Look at the Passport 9500ix. It has a cool learn function that reduces false alarms..it learns the area that you drive.

It also has a GPS functionality that alerts for stop light cameras and know speed traps.

One word of caution about radar jammers. Check your local traffic statues. They are illlegal in many areas.

Last edited by 825LTRGT; 1/1/12 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Can't type for S$%t
Old 1/1/12, 03:22 PM
V6 Member

In my opinion, they don't work. By the time the sense radar its usually to late. I always trust my eyes before those things.
Also if its just you on a road, as soon as it beeps, you're screwed
Old 1/1/12, 04:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 825LTRGT
Look at the Passport 9500ix. It has a cool learn function that reduces false alarms..it learns the area that you drive.

It also has a GPS functionality that alerts for stop light cameras and know speed traps.

One word of caution about radar jammers. Check your local traffic statues. They are illlegal in many areas.
The false alarm reduction is a nice feature, however a few reviews on it state that if for some reason a cop is shooting in an area that the detector "learns" to be a false alarm area, it won't go off.

Just to be clear, radar jammers are FEDERALLY prohibited and if found posessing or using one, it's a federal felony; you cannot jam radar (for aviation reasons). I am talking about Laser jammers; used on vehicles to block laser guns, which is much harder to detect due to the instant-on versions and how concentrated it is. The LASER jammers are only illegal in the following states:

"Laser Jammers are illegal in the states of Texas, Tennessee, Nebraska, Minnesota, Utah, California, Oklahoma, Virginia, Colorado, Illinois and Washington DC. "

Originally Posted by bradh2414
In my opinion, they don't work. By the time the sense radar its usually to late. I always trust my eyes before those things.
lol. did you have bad luck with a Cobra detector from like 1995? obviously you aren't too up to date on the current radar detector and laser jammer technology....

Last edited by smbstyle; 1/1/12 at 04:11 PM.
Old 1/1/12, 04:24 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by smbstyle

The false alarm reduction is a nice feature, however a few reviews on it state that if for some reason a cop is shooting in an area that the detector "learns" to be a false alarm area, it won't go off.

Just to be clear, radar jammers are FEDERALLY prohibited and if found posessing or using one, it's a federal felony; you cannot jam radar (for aviation reasons). I am talking about Laser jammers; used on vehicles to block laser guns, which is much harder to detect due to the instant-on versions and how concentrated it is. The LASER jammers are only illegal in the following states:

"Laser Jammers are illegal in the states of Texas, Tennessee, Nebraska, Minnesota, Utah, California, Oklahoma, Virginia, Colorado, Illinois and Washington DC. "

lol. did you have bad luck with a Cobra detector from like 1995? obviously you aren't too up to date on the current radar detector and laser jammer technology....
No. I've been in cars with alot of the new ones. And why bother spending like $300 on it when if you're a little careful you won't lose any money?
And with some of the new ones, I've spotted cops before the detectors did so they are a waste in my opinion.
Plus even if they are legal, if a cop sees you with one, they are more than likely not going to give you a warning.....ever
Old 1/1/12, 04:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The only way you will see a cop before a radar detector is if the cops radar unit is off...a good radar detector will pick up a cop shooting their radar before you will ever see it, unless he waits until you are right on top of him before "shooting" you...I do not even have a top of the line detector and it has saved me a ton of times....
Old 1/1/12, 04:33 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by JCStang
The only way you will see a cop before a radar detector is if the cops radar unit is off...a good radar detector will pick up a cop shooting their radar before you will ever see it, unless he waits until you are right on top of him before "shooting" you...I do not even have a top of the line detector and it has saved me a ton of times....
Exactly. He had to be shooting you. On the highway ice seen cops like a quarter mile away before he shot anyone. And if the cop shoots you, the radar goes off, but by then he already got you. So it doesn't matter.
He has to hit someone around you first
Old 1/1/12, 04:42 PM
DFV
Bullitt Member

V-1 is the way to go. It is very effective on X, K and Ka Radar, and as effective an anything else on laser (a very tough speed enforcement system to overcome). One of the best features is the continual upgrade, so that your detector doesn't become obsolete as technology changes.
Old 1/1/12, 04:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
But most cops are lazy...they just drive with the unit on and a detector will pick him up long before you will see him...very few use their instant on function...
Old 1/1/12, 04:45 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JCStang
Gotta do both. Detector and vigilant eyes.
Old 1/1/12, 05:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I swear by the Valentine 1 .I have had one for as long as they have been made.Never let me down.On the highway just make sure there is some going faster than you and will never get a ticket.I call that car the rabbit.Chase the rabbit from a safe distance.
Old 1/1/12, 05:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Geez kinda thought speed limits were set for reasons..hit the track for higher speeds my friends...safe and cheap.
Old 1/1/12, 05:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny, my V1 will tell me LONG before he see's me, if its just me he will HEAR me long before, but wont get me with radar/laser.
Old 1/1/12, 05:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No. I've been in cars with alot of the new ones. And why bother spending like $300 on it when if you're a little careful you won't lose any money?
And with some of the new ones, I've spotted cops before the detectors did so they are a waste in my opinion.
Plus even if they are legal, if a cop sees you with one, they are more than likely not going to give you a warning.....ever
I bet the auto zone special wont work as well as your eyes, I agree with that...................

Originally Posted by roketman
I swear by the Valentine 1 .I have had one for as long as they have been made.Never let me down.On the highway just make sure there is some going faster than you and will never get a ticket.I call that car the rabbit.Chase the rabbit from a safe distance.
This.

Originally Posted by cobrajetjoe
Geez kinda thought speed limits were set for reasons..hit the track for higher speeds my friends...safe and cheap.
I can tell you, I have done 80 in a 65....ALOT, willing to tell me you have not? People aren't looking to break the sound barrier and hide behind a detector...
Old 1/1/12, 05:52 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cobrajetjoe
True but some states still have their head up their ***. 55? In the middle of the high desert? Straight as an arrow for miles - err... hours? Really?

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/1/12 at 05:54 PM.
Old 1/1/12, 05:59 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by four-walling
...I can't drive 55...

Valentine One seems to be the best???
Just a tip, I use Cruise Control a LOT, both in town and on the highway and set the speed just a tad above the posted limit.
That way I don't 'drift' over the speed limit inadvertantly, but still have the ability to step on the pedal whenever I choose to.
Cheers,
Old 1/1/12, 06:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have the Beltronics 955 and it works great. I think it was about $150. Here in CA the CHP almost always drives with their built in radar on. On a straight highway it gives me MINUTES to slow down. I don't have any experience with the more expensive models but my guess is they might have fewer false alarms. Even the $150 Beltronics models detect all the radar you need them to. Since June mine has saved me 3 or 4 times. I bought it two weeks before I picked up the car based on my experience with my last one saving me 8 or 9 times over the last ten years in my truck.
Old 1/1/12, 06:35 PM
V6 Member

Radar detectors are good....but in traffic I keep my eyes on cars way ahead of me on the highways...... almost all drivers can not resist tapping the brakes in speed trap areas even though they are doing legal speed limits.....it has saved my *** a bunch of times...the cops on hidden entry ramps is another story tho.
Old 1/1/12, 06:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by slostang
I can tell you, I have done 80 in a 65....ALOT, willing to tell me you have not? People aren't looking to break the sound barrier and hide behind a detector...
Point taken, 15 over isn't really that fast depending on area...ie in residential or school zone would likely still be quick imo.. ..

Do you think most people who use radar detectors (especially where they are illegal) use them for because they're worried about going 15 over? I'm not so sure on that. To each his/her own though..

Quick Reply: Gotta buy my 1st ever radar detector