Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Fox Sports 1 Taking Over Speed Channel

Search this Thread

Old 8/4/13, 12:33 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 588 Likes on 422 Posts
Fox Sports 1 Taking Over Speed Channel

Not sure how I feel about this. Actually, I think it sucks. It seems that its going to be a bunch of college baseball, basketball, soccer, UFC and other **** that I couldn't care less about, with a little bit of motorsports mixed in here and there.

http://www.mwcconnection.com/ncaa-fo...sh-time-warner
Old 8/4/13, 12:43 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I don't trust anyone that likes soccer
Old 8/4/13, 12:50 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

Me either. Soccer is for European pussies and terrorists in the middle east.
Old 8/4/13, 02:18 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

Me either. Soccer is for European pussies and terrorists from the middle east.
Fixed it
Old 8/4/13, 02:20 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Fixed it
Old 8/4/13, 09:52 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
They're making a big mistake. This channel is going to lose out to what NBC sports network is already doing, and around here at least, they don't even have a deal with several providers, including Time Warner Cable, to have the channel on the lineup.
Old 8/5/13, 12:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I know I really should be bothered by this since Speed is where I go for most of my road racing fix, but after losing F1 and see NBC do a better job with it, I'm not so sure that seeing things like Australian V8, AMLS, Rolex Sports Car, and Continental Sports Car (Which will be merging with Rolex next year) move to a different network would be a bad thing.

Other than those series of races and low-tier NASCAR events there is very little racing left on Speed. Most of what Speed shows these days are rerun after rerun of 30 minute shows like Pinks all day long, and when it comes to that sort of show Velocity usually does it better.

I used to watch Speed all of the time, but lately I've hardly watched it at all. There is very little actual racing to watch for a channel called Speed.
Old 8/5/13, 01:08 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Moustang
I know I really should be bothered by this since Speed is where I go for most of my road racing fix, but after losing F1 and see NBC do a better job with it, I'm not so sure that seeing things like Australian V8, AMLS, Rolex Sports Car, and Continental Sports Car (Which will be merging with Rolex next year) move to a different network would be a bad thing.

Other than those series of races and low-tier NASCAR events there is very little racing left on Speed. Most of what Speed shows these days are rerun after rerun of 30 minute shows like Pinks all day long, and when it comes to that sort of show Velocity usually does it better.

I used to watch Speed all of the time, but lately I've hardly watched it at all. There is very little actual racing to watch for a channel called Speed.
I disagree from the standpoint that NBC Sports is 1) NBC, and 2) the fools don't have the exposure that Speed has, so millions of us lost F1.

Speed did a great job with F1 and I was able to watch it for years. I am not going to increase my programming $$ just for F1.

I've been watching MAVTV lately, as well as Speed.

Sure wish I could find that channel where Ford would actually win some races. Another weekend, another loss at NHRA.
Old 8/5/13, 01:11 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 8/5/13, 01:47 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco

I disagree from the standpoint that NBC Sports is 1) NBC, and 2) the fools don't have the exposure that Speed has, so millions of us lost F1.

Speed did a great job with F1 and I was able to watch it for years. I am not going to increase my programming $$ just for F1.

I've been watching MAVTV lately, as well as Speed.

Sure wish I could find that channel where Ford would actually win some races. Another weekend, another loss at NHRA.
As good as SPEED was with F1 NBC Sports is much better. And you won't have to worry about FMC and NHRA much longer as FMC is pulling support outside of its Sportsman/Cobra Jet program.
Old 8/5/13, 01:48 PM
Post *****

Continental is already aligned with the Grand-Am series. It will stay around with the merger next season as a support series as it already is.
Old 8/5/13, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
1. I'm not a fan of NBC at all, but the presentation and coverage is far superior to Speed. Most practice sessions, qualifying, and races are done live unlike Speeds tape delayed broadcasts. NBC sometimes covers all 3 practice sessions, and they still have David Hobbs and Bill Matchet as part of the announcing team.

2. That sucks. Time to change TV providers.

Don't blame you on the cost issue, but Speed coverage wasn't very good. For years I've streamed BBC coverage of F1 and while I prefer the Speed announcers, they didn't show a lot of the practice and the qualifying and race were delayed, even with their "live" coverage they were usually 10-15 minutes behind the BBC.

They do well in Australian V8 Supercar, but you'll have to get used to watching Ford Falcons race.
Old 8/5/13, 01:56 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
As good as SPEED was with F1 NBC Sports is much better.

And you won't have to worry about FMC and NHRA much longer as FMC is pulling support outside of its Sportsman/Cobra Jet program.
Not much good if millions aren't watching any longer because of limited NBCSp reach. The 2 races they put on regular NBC didn't include 2 days of qualifying (even highlights) like Speed did either. And Will talks too much.

I know... So is Mulally pulling $$ because Ford keeps losing races and doesn't want the negative association with the brand?

Or is Ford losing races because Mulally hasn't supported race engineering to the level Dodge Hemi and GM have so that Ford wins and boosts the brand?

Chicken or egg?

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/5/13 at 02:03 PM.
Old 8/5/13, 01:58 PM
Post *****

2. That sucks. Time to change TV providers.

Don't blame you on the cost issue, but Speed coverage wasn't very good. For years I've streamed BBC coverage of F1 and while I prefer the Speed announcers, they didn't show a lot of the practice and the qualifying and race were delayed, even with their "live" coverage they were usually 10-15 minutes behind the BBC.
Not a lot of choice out here in the mountains. Dish or Direct. But not available on my dish package which is already approaching a hundred.

I don't mind tape delay. I'd watch all 3 sessions of qualifying on Speed.
They do well in Australian V8 Supercar, but you'll have to get used to watching Ford Falcons race.
Seems like when I watch those dang Holden's are winning.

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/5/13 at 02:02 PM.
Old 8/5/13, 02:03 PM
Post *****

Not much good if millions aren't watching any longer because of limited NBCSp reach. The 2 races they put on regular NBC didn't include 2 days of qualifying (even highlights) like Speed did either.

I know... So is Mulally pulling $$ because Ford keeps losing races and doesn't want the negative association with the brand?

Or is Ford losing races because Mulally hasn't supported race engineering to the level Dodge Hemi and GM have so that Ford wins and boosts the brand?

Chicken or egg?
I'd say a little of both in my opinion. More 'bang for the buck' with the Cobra Jet program and the "new" engine program for Pro Stock and to a lesser degree Funny Car/Top Fuel haven't proven to be as effective and/or NHRA hasn't been as favorable with the Ford powerplants.

Plus there is also a rumor or FMC wanting to be back in IndyCar for the 100th running in 2 years . . . but that's just a rumor.

Last edited by Evil_Capri; 8/5/13 at 02:09 PM.
Old 8/5/13, 02:09 PM
Post *****

Not much good if millions aren't watching any longer because of limited NBCSp reach. The 2 races they put on regular NBC didn't include 2 days of qualifying (even highlights) like Speed did either.

Chicken or egg?
And as far as millions of lost viewers . . . the Monaco race on NBC was the most watched F1 race in 6 years and I believe the overall ratings are up on NBC Sports vs Speed. (Still trying to confirm.)

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130528/f1/130529771

Last edited by Evil_Capri; 8/5/13 at 02:10 PM.
Old 8/5/13, 02:11 PM
Post *****

So they broadcast Monaco & Canada on reg NBC. Any others ahead?
Old 8/5/13, 02:21 PM
Post *****

So they broadcast Monaco & Canada on reg NBC. Any others ahead?
USA and Brazil
Old 8/5/13, 02:43 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
USA and Brazil
Thanx. I've got the DVR set but couldn't see that far ahead.

So I'm wondering why some say NBCSp was better than Speed? For Monaco and Canada I didn't see any appreciable difference - other than Will chattering like a schoolboy on his first holiday. lol
Old 8/5/13, 02:54 PM
Post *****

Thanx. I've got the DVR set but couldn't see that far ahead.

So I'm wondering why some say NBCSp was better than Speed? For Monaco and Canada I didn't see any appreciable difference - other than Will chattering like a schoolboy on his first holiday. lol
In my opinion the production level seems to have increased with the pre-race analysis. The in-studio segments are much better. Again, in my opinion. The race feed is the same so not much difference there, but they do seem to have Will more involved. However, I do miss Varsha . . . and still miss Peter Windsor as well.

Quick Reply: Fox Sports 1 Taking Over Speed Channel