2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Wheel center cap removal

Old 3/25/10, 03:34 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel center cap removal

Yes, I know this is a ridiculous question, but how does one remove the center caps ('08 17" factory GT upgrade rims)? I think I know how they come off, but want to make sure I don't break them.
Old 3/25/10, 03:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not sure which ones you mean but if you're talking about the round button one, you have to remove the wheel and push them out from the back. If it's the hubcap type ones then you have to use the end of the lug nut wrench in your trunk. Use the opposite end that looks like a flathead screw driver to pry it off. Hope this helps.
Old 3/25/10, 07:51 PM
TMS Legacy Member

I was able to get a thin blade behind the cap and wheel to pry them out, not a problem, came out easy.
Old 3/28/10, 02:04 PM
GT Member

I'm not certain which wheels you are referring to but on my GT/CS wheels, to be sure to not damage the center caps, I removed the wheels.
* you will need a small flat blade screw driver and a pr of small needle nose pliers
* from the inside of the wheel you will see a split retaining wire around the inside of the cap
* pry one end of the retaining wire away with the small screwdriver so you can grab with the the needle nose
* after releasing the retaining wire from the full inner circle of the cap
* the cap will push out from the inside.
Old 3/28/10, 02:08 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, they can be pried from the outside, but as stated the much safer way to avoid damage is to remove the wheel and push from the backside with a larger round object, such as the non-blade end (handle) of a screwdriver. You may need to tap lightly w/ a hammer if it's the first time getting them out. Just be careful and smart and they'll pop right out damage free.
Old 3/28/10, 03:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HPwhitevert
I'm not certain which wheels you are referring to but on my GT/CS wheels, to be sure to not damage the center caps, I removed the wheels.
* you will need a small flat blade screw driver and a pr of small needle nose pliers
* from the inside of the wheel you will see a split retaining wire around the inside of the cap
* pry one end of the retaining wire away with the small screwdriver so you can grab with the the needle nose
* after releasing the retaining wire from the full inner circle of the cap
* the cap will push out from the inside.
+1

Make sure to remove the lock ring or broken fingers on the center cap could result.

Use the needle nose to raise one end of the ring above the fingers and then use the screw driver to walk the ring out like removing a tire from a rim.
Old 3/28/10, 04:53 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
They pop out pretty easy from the back side as some have said.
Old 3/28/10, 07:26 PM
GT Member

If anyone has lost one of these OEM "FORD" caps - drop me a PM