2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

throttle position sensor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 7/21/10, 03:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
throttle position sensor replacement

guys, for the past few, my 2005 gt has gone into failsafe mode. I turn the car off, wait abit and then the car runs fine for a while, week month etc. then out of nowhere, it will go into again then I turn car off, and it works fine again. I have a steeda CAI with sCT programmer and the codes are the same ones that come with the TSB for this that is posted. this has been reoccuring more frequently. I took it to dealer and they want almost 500 for the part and install of this TPS sensor and then a re cal of my computer. does this sound right?

is the install something I can do myself? if so, what part no would I need and where can I get the part. is there a write up somewhere on this. Sorry tried searching and couldnt find what I was looking for

Thanks

Sam
Old 7/21/10, 05:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

I had this same issue and I actually just decided to replace the whole throttle body and haven't had any issues since. You might try just cleaning the throttle body and seeing if that fixes your issue as several people have said this is the fix. Its also the cheapest to try. I believe the guys over at Brenspeed posted a video here about cleaning them.

If all else fails you can buy the TPS (part 6L2Z9B989C) at Bob Utter Ford Parts http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=213787 for $65 bucks. I believe there are only 2 screws holding it on.

A guy on another forum just replaced the TPS himself and still had the issue until he completely cleaned the throttle body. I think that may be why buying a new throttle body also works. They are $180 or something at newtakeoff.com http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustang_gt...ludes_tps.aspx

Goodluck.

Last edited by uofh2005; 7/21/10 at 05:44 PM.
Old 7/21/10, 07:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

thanks do you know if there is any re calibration or anything like that if you replace that part or is it a simple replacement and you are done?

Thanks for the intel

Sam
Old 7/21/10, 07:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

also, what the heck do you think the reason is behind them charging like 450 for this work? the part is 65 and it takes worse case 1 hr to put it on, double check it etc. wouldnt 100-150 seem like a reasonable price to do this?
Old 7/22/10, 12:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sams66
also, what the heck do you think the reason is behind them charging like 450 for this work? the part is 65 and it takes worse case 1 hr to put it on, double check it etc. wouldnt 100-150 seem like a reasonable price to do this?
You're at their mercy if you take it to the dealer.

You should just do it yourself--the TPS is VERY easy to access, and only a couple screws to remove/replace. They've failed on a few friend's S197s as well, seems to be relatively common.
Old 7/22/10, 05:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

thanks guys, do you know though if the computer has to be recalibrated or anything, is there a write up or instruction guide to replacing this?
Old 7/22/10, 07:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
A simple TPS replacement worked for me !

Be very careful and follow the instructions on the TPS mounting bolts removal !
I believe you use an electric drill so as not to break them. They`re really small and Ford uses lock tight which doesn`t allow you to back them out by hand.

I know, I tried it !

Last edited by I-70 west; 7/22/10 at 08:01 AM.
Old 7/22/10, 12:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

thanks for that I-70 it is exactly what is happening to mine. when you purchase the TPS does it come with instructions? when you replaced it, did you have to retune or recalibrate anything? is it a simple thing like bascially unscrewing the old one and putting the new one on?

thanks

Sam
Old 7/22/10, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by sams66
thanks for that I-70 it is exactly what is happening to mine. when you purchase the TPS does it come with instructions? when you replaced it, did you have to retune or recalibrate anything? is it a simple thing like bascially unscrewing the old one and putting the new one on?

thanks

Sam
Yes, it comes with instructions.
No recalibration, just unscrew the old one put in the new.

Good luck..............
Old 7/23/10, 04:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

thanks
Old 7/23/10, 06:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
I had my throttle posistion sensor replaced. I was having the same problem
Old 7/23/10, 06:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Glad I found this thread since I need to get a new TPS sensor to do my E-force install. I checked one of the Ford dealers which seems to have low prices on most ford parts and it's $10 cheaper!

Tousley ford has them for $54.98.

http://www.tousleyford.com/index.cfm...anchiseID=2360

Use the same part number in the search of course, 6L2Z9B989C .

Last edited by Dysan; 7/23/10 at 06:51 AM.
Old 7/23/10, 03:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

not to beat a horse here, do you think it matters if it is motorcraft or just a house brand like standard products, or the one I saw at autozone (duralast)?
Old 7/24/10, 12:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't know, but if it were me I'd go Motorcraft.
Old 7/24/10, 03:31 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Dysan
Glad I found this thread since I need to get a new TPS sensor to do my E-force install. I checked one of the Ford dealers which seems to have low prices on most ford parts and it's $10 cheaper!

Tousley ford has them for $54.98.

http://www.tousleyford.com/index.cfm...anchiseID=2360

Use the same part number in the search of course, 6L2Z9B989C .
Careful, there. Ford's replacement TPS is about 1/8 inch taller than the original TPS's and those newer size TPSs won't fit on the E-Force. Ask my how I know... The taller TSP doesn't fit in the small area between the throttle body and engine coolant shaft on the E-Force.

Fortunately, Edelbrock stocks the older size TPS's that fit on the E-Force. If you need a TPS for an E-Force, I highly recommend calling Edelbrock. They sold me one for $19.

....but I still have this new TPS from Tousley that doesn't fit.
Old 7/24/10, 03:35 PM
V6 Member

To the OP, get a Ford TPS. If you can take out 2 screws and put them back in, you can replace the TPS. It is on the side of the throttle body. Just order the new part, then go looking on the side of the throttle body for a part that looks just like the new one you just ordered.

No engine re-calibration needed. However, you should reset your fuel trims. This is pretty easy. The process is to disconnect the battery for several hours (or as a short cut - a minute or two while you hold down the brake pedal). Assuming the new TPS is installed, reconnect the battery. Crank the car. Let it idle 10 minutes. Turn on the A/C and let it idle about 5 more minutes. Now go drive 15 miles. Done.

You may not even need to do that. But doing this makes the car re-learn how to handle that throttle body which may behave a little bit different with a new TPS part no it.
Old 7/31/10, 02:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Guys, I want to totally thank you for the advice, got the part from Autozone, which was a ford part, it is a bit taller than the original one. old one off, new one on, started car, drove around neighborhood, ran great actually! This site just saved me from the Stealership!

As stated earlier, they wanted about $450 to do this same thing, do you think Ford cares that dealers are doing this to people?

Thanks again,

Sam
Old 7/31/10, 04:37 PM
V6 Member

Yep, Ford's replacement is taller than the original. The taller replacement won't fit on an E-Force t-body. Ask my how I know...

Edelbrock stocks the smaller ones now. For just $20.
Old 12/1/10, 11:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

The older, smaller style is the problem, get the newer, larger one !
Old 10/7/13, 06:36 AM

· The throttle position sensor (TPS) is located on the driver's side of the throttle body
· Remove the plastic engine cover to access the throttle body, then locate the TPS. You may be required to remove the hose that connects to the IAC valve as well as the metal bracket that mounts the plastic engine cover. You will want good access to the TPS to ensure you do not strip the screws.
· Disconnect the wiring harness that plugs into the TPS by pressing the locking tab and then pulling towards the front of the truck.
· Once removed, the TPS should pull right off the throttle body.
· To install the new TPS, position the front of the TPS at an approx. 45 degree angle downwards with the harness plug facing you, insert it into position, then twist back up until the bolt holes line up. Reinstall the bolts, using a small dab of thread locker on each to ensure they will not vibrate loose.

Quick Reply: throttle position sensor replacement