2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

RPMoutlet.com

Search this Thread

Old 10/11/09, 01:03 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
RPMoutlet.com

I've read lots of horror stories about RPMoutlet.com's customer service in Mustang forums everywhere, but I've had good luck with them in the past so I recently ordered an SLP X-Pipe with high flow cats from them.

I received the box from RPMoutlet.com 2 days ago (Friday evening). FedEx delivered it while I was at work (my 16 y/o daughter signed for it and brought it inside), so I opened it up right away when I got home that evening. Noticed the SLP packaging tape had been opened already (but taped closed again) and the plastic strap that should have been wrapped around the box was already removed and wadded up in a ball inside the box. Installation instructions were missing, too. Someone had obviously opened this box already.

So, I went to SLP and RPMoutlet's websites to print installation instructions and to find a parts list to compare against what was in my box. Everything was there except the 20" O2 sensor extensions were MISSING. SLP and RPMoutlet are both closed on weekends, so I have to wait until tomorrow morning (Monday) to call RPMoutlet to see how they'll handle this. I tried emailing RPMoutlet at the email address shown at their "contact us" page at their website, but it bounced back as undeliverable. Tried sending email again with the same result.

So, my car has been inop for 10 days now sitting in our service department (with plugged catalytic converters), and now I'm going to have to wait for RPMoutlet to send the missing parts to me, further adding to my car's downtime. Is it reasonable for me to expect them to overnight these missing parts to me at their expense?
Old 10/11/09, 02:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the box was already opened, they should have made sure everything was there before shipping it to you. I'd say it's reasonable to ask for the extensions to be over-nighted to you. Based on their past history, I bet they get shipped via UPS ground.

Good luck!
Old 10/11/09, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by topoffGT
Based on their past history, I bet they get shipped via UPS ground.
I will be very disappointed if they ship it ground instead of overnight. It was there mistake - not mine - so I expect them to step up and do the right thing.

In the meantime, I'm borrowing my 16 year old daughter's Ford Explorer to get back and forth to work. She's not very happy about this situation as she just got her driver's license last Thursday and is itchin' to drive "her" Explorer. And, I'm having horsepower withdrawls!
Old 10/11/09, 03:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Hate to say it, but I would bet that they don't send the parts let alone send them overnight. I've had good luck with RPM a few years ago but all of the negative posts I've read about them have encouraged me to stop ordering from them. Good luck Brian, hope it turns out well for you.
Old 10/11/09, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by tom281
Hate to say it, but I would bet that they don't send the parts let alone send them overnight. I've had good luck with RPM a few years ago but all of the negative posts I've read about them have encouraged me to stop ordering from them. Good luck Brian, hope it turns out well for you.
Hi, Tom. You are probably right that they'll tell me "tough luck." So, I've already contacted a local speed shop that I've done lots of business with in the past and they can get my the parts from their local warehouse in one day. That's my back up plan in case RPM Outlet gives me any grief.

This is the first time I've had issues with RPM, so if they can resolve it to my satisfaction then I may continue doing business with them. If they don't resolve it to my satisfaction, then you can bet I'll tell the world about my experience. Here's hoping for them to do the right thing.
Old 10/11/09, 04:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Based on the wide range of parts and the low prices, they probably don't stock these items, but rather drop-ship from other places. I would think that they take your request and pass it on to the original shipper. That is why the lead times suck and the communication is all cloudy.

Local shops have overhead, and thus cost more for the same items. The benefit is you get the stuff from someone you can physically see or talk to. The internet has killed "the local guy" as everyone wants to do more for less.

I know 10 days seems like forever, but as you said you never had an issue with RPM before. I am one with similar experiences. I got everything I ordered the first time. The second time I was missing some hardware from a pulley kit. I opted to just go buy the hardware locally and do the install without contacting RPM. That's the gamble with "too good to be true" pricing.

I now use the local guy, or quality vendors like SilverHorseRacing. There's some things in life that are worth paying a little more for, and customer service is on that list.
Old 10/11/09, 04:31 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Someone had obviously opened this box already.
They are liable to claim it was opened during delivery - after it left them...
Old 10/11/09, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by shaun_beauchamp
Based on the wide range of parts and the low prices, they probably don't stock these items, but rather drop-ship from other places. I would think that they take your request and pass it on to the original shipper. That is why the lead times suck and the communication is all cloudy.

Local shops have overhead, and thus cost more for the same items. The benefit is you get the stuff from someone you can physically see or talk to. The internet has killed "the local guy" as everyone wants to do more for less.

I know 10 days seems like forever, but as you said you never had an issue with RPM before. I am one with similar experiences. I got everything I ordered the first time. The second time I was missing some hardware from a pulley kit. I opted to just go buy the hardware locally and do the install without contacting RPM. That's the gamble with "too good to be true" pricing.

I now use the local guy, or quality vendors like SilverHorseRacing. There's some things in life that are worth paying a little more for, and customer service is on that list.
I used to buy from the local stores years ago, but the price gap has gotten so wide between the locals and the internet/mail-order shops that I just couldn't justify the locals anymore. We have great local stores (i.e. knowledgable, experience, customer service, etc.), but when the parts are 50% more expensive I have a hard time being loyal.
Old 10/11/09, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco
They are liable to claim it was opened during delivery - after it left them...
Oh, I'm betting you're 100% right about that. If I'd been home when FedEx showed up, I would have opened it on the spot and refused delivery. However, my 16 y/o daughter didn't know any better (nor would have any of my neighbors had they signed for it per RPM's loose "indirect signature" requirement).

Looking forward to RPM's response tomorrow. I'm hopeful that I can report back that they're a stand-up company that handles mistakes gracefully and promptly.
Old 10/11/09, 06:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

I hope it all works out well for you.

Last edited by GRAYPNY; 10/11/09 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10/11/09, 06:58 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
I used to buy from the local stores years ago, but the price gap has gotten so wide between the locals and the internet/mail-order shops that I just couldn't justify the locals anymore. We have great local stores (i.e. knowledgable, experience, customer service, etc.), but when the parts are 50% more expensive I have a hard time being loyal.
I hear you. I'd love to be able to buy from locals and small shops 100% of the time. But when the gap gets so huge, its either order online/mail order or do without.
Old 10/12/09, 07:33 AM

I just got off the phone with RPM Outlet. 1st customer service rep checked and told me that the kit I bought doesn't come with O2 extensions "anymore." I explained the the kit I bought shows on their website as including O2 extensions and that they are on the parts list for the model number I purchased. She put me on hold and a man came on the line and mentioned that their "buyer" would have to call SLP and find out why there weren't O2 extensions included, but he was off today and that someone would call me tomorrow.

I'm going to order a set locally so that I can have them tomorrow. Can't afford to wait and see if they feel like taking care of this. If RPM Outlet ever makes good on their mistake I'll just have an extra set on my hands, I suppose.
Old 10/12/09, 10:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
how much do the ext's cost
Old 10/12/09, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
how much do the ext's cost
The local speed shop's warehouse doesn't stock SLP's, just BBK's, but they all fit the same Ford wiring/sensors, I ordered the pair of BBK's from them for about $45. SLP's are spendier ($100 for the pair). I've seen plenty of other brands of extensions online in the $35-$50 range.
Old 10/12/09, 12:36 PM

Update: I called RPM Outlet back again. Explained that this car is a daily driver, I have a race this Saturday, and that it's there mistake (not mine) so they need to overnight the missing extensions to me pronto. Lady said they can't because they don't even stock those extensions and I have to wait for the boss to decide what he's going to do tomorrow when he returns. I told her that was not the answer I wanted to hear.

So, I called SLP and spoke with them at length today. They said they don't use FedEx, so the box must have come directly from RPM Outlet. He asked if the SLP security tape had been broken - and it had - so he suspects that SLP pulled the extensions out. He called RPM on my behalf and spoke with somebody up the food chain to get faster results. RPM is supposed to call with a fast resolution but my phone hasn't rung yet.

Sure glad I ordered a set locally. They'll arrive tomorrow morning at 9am. Maybe RPM will send me a set someday when they feel like it, or credit me for my expense of buying locally. Yeah, right!
Old 10/12/09, 12:41 PM
Post *****

Maybe RPM had the box on the shelf, and so to comply with their 'new rule' that the O2 extensions aren't included, maybe THEY pulled them out?? Sounds like trying to increase revenue by pulling parts and then charging you extra.

Last edited by cdynaco; 10/12/09 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10/12/09, 12:47 PM

Makes me glad I went through Brenspeed for my Hurst shifter... RPM had the shifter marked at $156.99 until you add it to the shopping cart, where it jumps to $190.00. I saw this last Saturday and waited till Monday to call them. On Monday morning at 10am EST I called and was told they were in the process of revamping their website. I asked if they would honor the price still listed on the page and was told, No. Sorry to hear about your problems, hopefully all works out in the end... and they get theirs in the end!
Old 10/12/09, 01:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Richocet83
Makes me glad I went through Brenspeed for my Hurst shifter... RPM had the shifter marked at $156.99 until you add it to the shopping cart, where it jumps to $190.00. I saw this last Saturday and waited till Monday to call them. On Monday morning at 10am EST I called and was told they were in the process of revamping their website. I asked if they would honor the price still listed on the page and was told, No.

Wow, that is super crappy service.

Sounds like the old bait and switch.
Old 10/12/09, 03:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well I know where NOT to shop. Word of mouth is definitely something that can help or hurt a business. Good luck with a resolution that's to your benefit but I seem to doubt it too.
Old 10/12/09, 04:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Bad service for sure. RPM has always had a questionable reputation, I'm amazed that you've had any good luck with them at all...

Quick Reply: RPMoutlet.com