2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Rear Quarter Window juts out.

Search this Thread

Old 8/14/06, 12:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Quarter Window juts out.

Okay, call me **** rententive (Before purchasing this GT, I went over it with a fine tooth comb checking all the panels for alignment, no dings, no paint defects, etc.), but after 3 weeks I finally noticed that the passenger rear quarter window is not flush with the body in one corner...in fact the window sticks out about a 1/8 of an inch out in the lower corner of the rear quarter window facing towards the front of the car. When standing towards the front of the car and looking down the car you can definitely see that one corner sticking out ever so slightly...so much for quality control.

I took the car over to a windshield replacement place that I've always used and they said that it's possible the factory used a little too much of the black glass sealant in that one corner of the window (thus it juts out just a wee bit). I guess I just have to remember this is a Ford and be thankful there isn't something else. He said that they could do the job, but that there wasn't any guarantee they wouldn't scratch the paint edge surrounding the rear quarter panel. I decided to hold off.

I'll just live with it for now.
Old 8/14/06, 12:44 PM
V6 Member

So take it back to the dealership. Christ,a whole 1/8 of an inch, talk about the scarlet letter of shame.
Old 8/14/06, 12:50 PM
GT Member

Wow... I think you are the most **** person I have seen yet.
Old 8/14/06, 01:02 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by WB05stang
Wow... I think you are the most **** person I have seen yet.
Wow. Really? You must be new here.
There's plenty of us **** rententive Mustangers on TMS.
Old 8/14/06, 01:03 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
an entire 1/8"? Dang, how'd they let that one slip If it is that noticeable, take it to the dealer.
Old 8/14/06, 01:45 PM
V6 Member

"He`s so retentive that if you shoved a chunk of coal up his butt a week later he`d poop out a diamond" Ferris Buehler
Old 8/14/06, 02:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just take it to a dealer, all dealers have contract glass companies to fix such things. Its better to get asthetic defects fixed as quickly as possible. Two years later, the dealer(i.e. Ford) will likely be less enthusiastic about giving the go-ahead to fix it.
Old 8/14/06, 02:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Like I said, the window installer (which is where the dealer will most likely send the car to be repaired) has said that he himself would probably make more of a mess and that it wasn't worth it...

My main gripe is that someone on the assembly line in Flat Rock probably had a few too many brewskies the night before and just didn't do his/her job of ensuring the window was in nice and flush. Now, let's hope the engine was put together in a better fasion.
Old 8/14/06, 02:52 PM
V6 Member

Seriously though,it`s a $28k or so car. If you want perfection shop in the six figure range. It was made on a high speed assembly line,probably by a machine or at least with an assist. 1/8" is nothing compared to what used to pass as quality control.
Old 8/14/06, 03:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Tracey, you're right...though I really enjoy this GT, I can tell a bit of difference when driving the Vette...but I always enjoyed the Stang, and will continue to do so (had an '87 LX 5.0, '89 GT, '95 V6 and an '02 V6 in the past).
Old 8/14/06, 03:56 PM
V6 Member

Not **** at all if I noticed that I would be back at the dealer having them repair it. 1/8†is HUGE when it comes to today’s tolerances. This isn’t the 50’s anymore and no reason for the rear quarter window sticking out 1/8â€â€¦
Old 8/20/06, 09:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark S.
Like I said, the window installer (which is where the dealer will most likely send the car to be repaired) has said that he himself would probably make more of a mess and that it wasn't worth it...

My main gripe is that someone on the assembly line in Flat Rock probably had a few too many brewskies the night before and just didn't do his/her job of ensuring the window was in nice and flush. Now, let's hope the engine was put together in a better fasion.
The windows are installed by machines.
Old 8/20/06, 09:18 PM

Tracey, you're right...though I really enjoy this GT, I can tell a bit of difference when driving the Vette...but I always enjoyed the Stang, and will continue to do so (had an '87 LX 5.0, '89 GT, '95 V6 and an '02 V6 in the past).
It's amazing to me how the build quality has changed over the years. Can't say much for my '65 since it was 20 yeasr old when I bought it, but both my '88 LX 5.0's were put together pretty well, while my '03 GT looked like it was an experiment gone wrong.
The '05 is a big improvement. Probably better than the '88's. (the trunk on one of them never lined up just right)
Old 8/21/06, 04:33 PM
Bullitt Member

ov3n, that explains it...but you would think that someone does a quality check afterwards...
Old 8/21/06, 05:15 PM
Bullitt Member

I would like to point out the obvious. One very **** retentive person ( by his own admission ) took 3 weeks to find it, and he only looks over 1 stang. The hourly person working the line sees what several hundred in a shift for a few minutes. That being said, a problem is a problem, give the dealer the opportunity to make it right.
Old 8/22/06, 11:05 AM
Bullitt Member

MY05GT,
You're right...I'm having the dealer look at it tomorrow....however, an excellent glass installer informed me that he couldn't guarantee not ruining the outside edge of the paint while removing this type of quarter window...easy to install...a "real bear" to remove without damage to the surrouding paint and window...we shall see...
Old 8/22/06, 12:00 PM

On a side note, if that's the case, that might cause some problems for the new SilverHorseRacing louvers that are coming out soon.
Old 8/26/06, 07:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Stangnut, I went ahead and posted a quick one in the SilverHorseRacing discussion about their "flush" side window louvres...I love those louvres, but I think taking out the glass is not going to be easy.

P.S. I checked out '06 Stangs at four other dealer lots in the area (about 85 stangs) and I found only one that had a window like mine...so at least I'm not alone (LOL).
Old 8/27/06, 04:33 PM
GT Member

MY05GT,
You're right...I'm having the dealer look at it tomorrow....however, an excellent glass installer informed me that he couldn't guarantee not ruining the outside edge of the paint while removing this type of quarter window...easy to install...a "real bear" to remove without damage to the surrouding paint and window...we shall see...
I'm not sure I buy that. If the guy's that good at his job, he can do it without screwing anything up. I'd be willing to bet you can find someone who can do it without ruining your paint. That's what they're paid to do.
Old 8/27/06, 09:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Tedz Pony, unfortunately I have to go with whomever the dealer wants (since it's covered under the warranty)...nothing says I can't go to another dealer and they're plenty of them around here...

Quick Reply: Rear Quarter Window juts out.