2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Gauging interest in a door prop rod for car shows

Old 5/10/08, 07:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gauging interest in a door prop rod for car shows

I’m not sure how many of you show your cars, but I noticed a lot of the hot rodders using door prop rods at shows to prop a door open to make the interior more accessible. I have looked everywhere for a set that works with the Mustang but have been unable to find anything. For those of us with custom sill plates or other interior dress ups hidden by the doors, the only option has been to leave the door open.

I have been working the past couple of weeks on my own design, and have a mock up ready. The prop rod latches into the door mechanism and actually holds it in place against the wind or anyone leaning on your car. You cannot open or close the door when the prop rod is in place. The prop rod will not flex, bend, rust, or damage your cars latch mechanism.

I’m wondering if anyone would be interested in such an item, and am curious as to how much someone would be willing to pay. Unfortunately the parts are expensive, so I will be looking into wholesale prices to keep the cost down if there is any interest. Please let me know what you all think!

Tim

Old 5/10/08, 11:47 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd be interested. Then I'd have an excuse to buy more interior stuff. Not sure about price, though.
Old 5/10/08, 01:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No offense or anything, but $10 in a Home-Depot will get you something very similar to that.
Old 5/10/08, 02:34 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Arrow
No offense or anything, but $10 in a Home-Depot will get you something very similar to that.
I guess your local Home Depot carries items that the one near me doesn't. However for $10.00 I could go to Staples and buy a cardboard box that would keep the door open as well.

Tim,

I like your idea and design. Not sure I would use one since I just keep the windows rolled down anyway, but still your design looks good.
Old 5/10/08, 08:38 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Link a couple pairs of handcuffs together,or be really ghetto and us a bungee cord
Old 5/11/08, 10:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Or....just a bungee cord...
Old 5/11/08, 10:52 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the idea, but using a bungee cord or a box will not work with the wind or to keep the door at a set place. ie: from opening and closing.
Trying to market this would be tough as stated above, parts are cheep at HD or Lowes.
Great idea to show off the sill plates with inserted decals or the new lighted ones.

Question with this mod? with the door open during a 4-6 hour show, do you need a set of jumper cables to get it started at the end of the day? or just place a foam ball or something on the door switch to keep the lights off?
Old 5/11/08, 12:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Looks like a great idea. I know a few people who would be interested in something like that.
Old 5/11/08, 01:42 PM
GTR Member

I believe the lights will go off after 10 min anyway
Old 5/12/08, 11:14 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Boltzman
I believe the lights will go off after 10 min anyway
Yup.
Old 5/12/08, 01:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well if we were not talking about being at a CAR SHOW a bungee cord with a box would work well!

Originally Posted by Dougxox
I like the idea, but using a bungee cord or a box will not work with the wind or to keep the door at a set place. ie: from opening and closing.
Trying to market this would be tough as stated above, parts are cheep at HD or Lowes.
Great idea to show off the sill plates with inserted decals or the new lighted ones.

Question with this mod? with the door open during a 4-6 hour show, do you need a set of jumper cables to get it started at the end of the day? or just place a foam ball or something on the door switch to keep the lights off?
Old 5/12/08, 03:47 PM
GTR Member

I like the idea, but
using a bungee cord
or a box will not work with the wind or to keep the door at a set place. ie: from opening and closing.

i was joking
Old 5/12/08, 06:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'd have to run out and take a look...honestly haven't poked at this before, but there might be a way to wedge or block the hinge, thereby keeping the door where it is. Might be a more aesthetic approach.

Maybe install some lambos...that'll solve the problem, and look showy, too!
Old 6/27/13, 10:15 PM

My 2011 turns the dome lights off if the door is left open for more than 10 minutes.

Last edited by downhome; 6/27/13 at 10:17 PM.
Old 6/28/13, 07:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
I like the looks of it high quality looking
Old 6/28/13, 06:44 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Arrow
I'd have to run out and take a look...honestly haven't poked at this before, but there might be a way to wedge or block the hinge, thereby keeping the door where it is. Might be a more aesthetic approach.
please dont try this... some guys at work are always blocking shop doors open by putting stuff in the hinges, and first time someone bumps into it or the wind catches it, all that leverage destroys the door- I'm pretty sure if someone leaned on a wedged car door you would have cowl damage