2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frozen windows

Search this Thread

Old 12/27/04, 09:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok... I know there was a post on this a while back, but I can't find it, so I'm opening a new one. The topic was basically having to do with the windows shimmying up and down. Someone commented that they opened their door on a brisk morning only to get a loud POP.

Well, we have had some MOST unsually cold weather here in the south the past few days. It rained a nice cold rain then the temps plumited. It happened so fast that the water that had beeded up all over every horizontal surface on my car actually FROZE in little beeds. As of 8:30 this morning, it was still frozen on my car.

Now, to the point. This AM I went outside to fire up the car, and noticed that the window was NOT sliding up and down when I opened and closed the door. As a result, The door wouldn't close! It was frozen UP. What's really interresting here is that the windows didn't receive any additional moisture last night. This is only from the moisture in the air clinging to my windows.

In order to correct this, I had to go into my house and retreive a glass of hot water and pour it on the window sills to relieve them of their ice. :bang: Problem is... that water froze again quite quickly, but fortunately ran off and away from the window before doing so.

Has anyone else living in the colder climes had this problem? I see this as something that could potentially become a major problem in the future. While I am still fascinated with the little shimmy trick the window does, I really have to worry about the durrability of that system in the future. I like what it does for interior comfort, but I really dislike the drawbacks I am seeing.

I don't know how I'm going to do it, but I see myself cramming this car in my garage next to my classic stang to keep this from happening every morning. What a mess that will make in an already cramped garage!
Old 12/27/04, 09:25 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try using a deicer rather than hot water, the deicer won't freeze on you.
Old 12/27/04, 10:51 AM
Bullitt Member

It's me who started a topic about this ...the others assured me that I will not have any problems causes there was others cars with the same mechanism BUT...I had about 3 mm of ice on it and when I opened the door the window go down just enough to cleared the plastic frame...I was lucky...so I keep always a little scrape with me ..but the best is to buy a( distance starter) to heat your car
Old 12/27/04, 10:52 AM
V6 Member

I can't imagine this being a good thing. Around here, you have to give the door a pretty good jerk to open them with the way they design the weatherstripping these days. You don't even think about moving the window. What was Ford thinking?
Old 12/27/04, 11:05 AM
GT Member

What happens with these windows if the battery goes dead?
Old 12/27/04, 11:20 AM
Bullitt Member

You pass by the trunk
Old 12/27/04, 11:26 AM
GT Member

Pouring hot water on a frozen window is a good way to get a new windows.

Don't ever do this, if you must use water, use cold water, and of course de-icer is way better, like a squirt bottle with windshield washer fluid.
Old 12/27/04, 11:37 AM
V6 Member

ugly as heck, but you could tuck an old shower curtain into the top of the door and over the window.
Old 12/27/04, 11:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by idobson@December 27, 2004, 8:29 PM

Don't ever do this, if you must use water, use cold water, and of course de-icer is way better, like a squirt bottle with windshield washer fluid.
you cant stress this enough... think about it- hot water.... cold windows... what happens when you mix the two??? CRACK- not a good idea.... where's your common sense! :nono:
Old 12/27/04, 01:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have done this more times than I can remember and NEVER cracked. I would not try this with chipped or cracked glass though.
Michael
Old 12/27/04, 01:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 05MustangSB+December 27, 2004, 12:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (05MustangSB @ December 27, 2004, 12:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-idobson@December 27, 2004, 8:29 PM

you cant stress this enough... think about it- hot water.... cold windows... what happens when you mix the two??? CRACK- not a good idea.... where's your common sense! :nono: [/b][/quote]
Yeah. Sorry. :bang: I'm a warm weather livin' Southern boy. Didn't think too much about that, but it really is a bad idea. DUUUUUUH. Ok... So I'll make sure I have a hefty container of De-icer handy for just such occasions. Just call me a moron, and let's move on.

I suppose it means a little more work in the future for the added quiet in the passenger cabin, but I'm not about to start complaining. Well... Ok, I did start complaining. Complaint retracted. De-ice the windows first before opening the door, and you're set. Done. Check. Everyone got that?
Old 12/27/04, 02:43 PM
Cobra Member

Fact is, hot water will freeze faster than cold water. Ice freezing a door closed happens in the north at times of rain near freezing temps. Either a scraper or de-icer has to also be kept out of the car for those days. Not so easy to do if not at home.

Not many people drive their Mustangs in the winter ice and snow.

The GT is stored for the winter, so I can't comment on it but.

The other day we had light snow on car windows and I decided to lower the windows to clear some snow as I have a hundred times. Well there was light amount of ice at bottom of the windows, so therefore they would not move. That reminded me of the earlier post about the 05 windows. My point is that does not do anything to the motor as the resistance is built in. Just will not move.

I would think there should be no differences with the 05 windows.

Interesting that in the orginal post, He says after opening the door, it would not close. Seeing how this is an assist feature for less outside noise. I do not understand what the window has to do with the door actually being allowed to open or close. Only that it would have to be pulled much harder to open or close.

Would like to hear more from people in the north on the 05.
Old 12/27/04, 03:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Fact is hot water does not freeze quicker. Try it!
Michael
Old 12/27/04, 03:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by manystangs@December 27, 2004, 4:41 PM
Michael
Beat me to it. Besides, doesn't it sound physically impossible? Why would the heat entalpy of hot water reach freezing faster than cold water? Hot water is somewhat more "liquid" though so it can possibly trickle down in more confined areas than colder, but it seems unreasonable.

Use an ice scraper. If you don't have one, pick up your credit card. *scrape scrape* OW cold fingers *scrape scrape scrape*

As for the problem with hot water on cold glass, I wouldn't worry too much about it cracking. It's tempered glass, it should handle that.
Old 12/27/04, 03:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Michael
Old 12/27/04, 04:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by manystangs@December 27, 2004, 5:41 PM
Michael
It does, it is a scientific fact. Do a google search.

An old trick that we have used in the Midwest for years is a light film of petroleum jelly on the seals. Do it on the refrigerator door seals to when the door starts getting hard to pull open too.
Old 12/27/04, 04:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Didn't have to. Like I said try it!
Michael
Old 12/27/04, 04:42 PM

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Does+...er+than+cold%3F

You would be surprised at some of the strange things in this world. Under a variety of circumstance warm water can indeed freeze quicker than already cool water. Obviously this isn't 100% true in all circumstance but fact is that it can happen.
Old 12/27/04, 08:32 PM
V6 Member

It takes 1 BTU to cool 1 lb of water 1 degree F at 14.7 psig between the range of 32 and 212. It takes some 472 BTUs to change 32 degree water to 32 degree ice. This is called latent heat. The only way the hot water would freeze faster is that there is actually less water to freeze because a large portion evaporated, there for not comparing the same amount of water. So, no, hot water will not freeze faster, but less water will.
(feel free to correct me on the 472, its been a long time, but point still the same)
Old 12/27/04, 09:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by ponyboy66+December 27, 2004, 3:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ponyboy66 @ December 27, 2004, 3:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-manystangs@December 27, 2004, 5:41 PM
Michael
It does, it is a scientific fact. Do a google search.

[/b][/quote]
Yep....what he said. When you make Jello, it is a hot/warm liquid before you pop it in the fridge, right??? Same principal.....

Quick Reply: Frozen windows