2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Friendly reminder - check all your bolts

Search this Thread

Old 8/26/10, 01:54 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Friendly reminder - check all your bolts

A couple weeks ago i developed a knocking clunk in the front of the car. I assumed it was a failed strut mount and purchased a set of FordRacing replacement units and since I was doing that, figured it was a good idea to replace the struts/shocks. Bought a set of Koni STR.t or whatever there called from Stage3. Got everything the following week and installed it that night.

Unfortunately my clunk was still present. After checking over all of my bolts I was stumped. I read a few threads on here that referenced loose Endlink bolts but everyone always referenced the bolt connecting to the strut. Not the bolt connecting the sway bar to the endlink. Which happend to be the one bolt I didn't check or touch during the install.

So 6 hours of my time and $475 later, tightening 2 endlink bolts down (which were not loose to the touch but were to a wrench) solved my clunk issue.

Lesson learned, check ALL the bolts.

Last edited by Commbubba19; 8/26/10 at 02:57 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 8/26/10, 02:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear that. At least you found the clunk and ended up with some really nice shocks.
Old 8/26/10, 10:35 PM
Bullitt Member

so how do you like the new dampers?
Old 8/27/10, 09:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MadMoose
so how do you like the new dampers?
+1 +1
Old 8/29/10, 06:11 PM
GT Member

Thanks, I have the thunk noise too and will try to tighten everything underneath. Glad you got a smoother ride. You did get a smoother ride didn't you?
Old 8/29/10, 06:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is a common problem that you could have easily discovered the remedy for if you searched this forum
Old 8/29/10, 08:07 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
This is a common problem that you could have easily discovered the remedy for if you searched this forum
ha, read my post. i did. however everyone referred to the bolts connecting to the strut, not to the sway bar. it's my own fault for not having the common sense to check both.

ride isn't too different. i expected more from the str.t's. the car is more composed over extreme suspension movement which is good, but honestly it's hard to notice. i have yet to go to an auto x so that will really show it there's an improvement.
Old 8/30/10, 09:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Springs? If stock I would like to know how the rear is affected with bumps.
I put on springs at the same time I put these in and it made a solid difference and cleaned up that lateral kick when you get in a bump while accelerating or cornering.

Originally Posted by Commbubba19
ha, read my post. i did. however everyone referred to the bolts connecting to the strut, not to the sway bar. it's my own fault for not having the common sense to check both.

ride isn't too different. i expected more from the str.t's. the car is more composed over extreme suspension movement which is good, but honestly it's hard to notice. i have yet to go to an auto x so that will really show it there's an improvement.
Old 8/31/10, 08:10 AM
GT Member

Crap, I just tightened all the bolts underneath and it didn't solve the problem. Oh well, it's not that loud anyway. I can let it go I guess until maybe I hit 100,000 miles. I'm at 79,000 now. Maybe new shocks & struts then. Maybe I should buy these for $209 and wait and put them on:

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr...id=722cPath=89
Old 9/1/10, 07:08 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by randy_tho
Springs? If stock I would like to know how the rear is affected with bumps.
I put on springs at the same time I put these in and it made a solid difference and cleaned up that lateral kick when you get in a bump while accelerating or cornering.
H&R SS Springs.
Old 9/14/10, 05:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Commbubba19
A couple weeks ago i developed a knocking clunk in the front of the car. I assumed it was a failed strut mount and purchased a set of FordRacing replacement units and since I was doing that, figured it was a good idea to replace the struts/shocks. Bought a set of Koni STR.t or whatever there called from Stage3. Got everything the following week and installed it that night.

Unfortunately my clunk was still present. After checking over all of my bolts I was stumped. I read a few threads on here that referenced loose Endlink bolts but everyone always referenced the bolt connecting to the strut. Not the bolt connecting the sway bar to the endlink. Which happend to be the one bolt I didn't check or touch during the install.

So 6 hours of my time and $475 later, tightening 2 endlink bolts down (which were not loose to the touch but were to a wrench) solved my clunk issue.

Lesson learned, check ALL the bolts.
Fixed a couple of loud and emberrasing clunks/rattles from my rear suspension by tightening a couple fo bolts last night. Turned out both of my shock absorber nuts were a little loose. My fault as I replaced the rear axle assembly a little over a year ago. The bolts were tight, just not quite tight enough.