2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

factory Paint job really weak?

Search this Thread

Old 8/25/05, 09:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it just me or is the paint job from the factory really weak? I swear every week I'll find a new little chip in the paint from road crap. You would think by now they would have really solid paint on cars. Guess not.

PS I have a black on black GT.
Old 8/25/05, 09:30 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by tw0scoops123@August 25, 2005, 11:25 AM
Is it just me or is the paint job from the factory really weak? I swear every week I'll find a new little chip in the paint from road crap. You would think by now they would have really solid paint on cars. Guess not.

PS I have a black on black GT.
When I looked at mine last night on the dealer lot I was actually happy to see that my paint was put on thick in all the areas (didn't check inside gas door though). Not sure about paint durability my 03 Tacoma's paint comes off pretty easy too.
Old 8/25/05, 09:37 AM
Cobra R Member

When it's up against rocks at 60-70mph, all paint is weak. That's just how it works. Buy some touch up paint and don't sweat it.
Old 8/25/05, 09:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm disappointed in the paint job as well, it seems to chip very easily. I know that it chips more easily than my Acura. And last night I finally had a tiny pebble hit the windshield and it caused a mark about the size of a penny. Disappointed in that quality as well!

But, the rest of the car I love!!!!!
Old 8/25/05, 10:03 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by moc1976@August 25, 2005, 9:53 AM
And last night I finally had a tiny pebble hit the windshield and it caused a mark about the size of a penny. Disappointed in that quality as well!

So now the glass is weaker as well? :scratch:
Old 8/25/05, 10:16 AM
Cobra Member

Paint chipping and thin paint seems to be a common discussion item on most new cars. I think EPA regulations might be contributing factor. The easiest solution to the problem is to add the invisible film to the bumper and part of the hood. I don't care much for the appearance of it, but it does look much better than a chipped up hood. There is a black GT in our parking lot that has the film on the hood.
Old 8/25/05, 11:28 AM
GT Member

Soooo glad I didn't get black this time around. All cars are beautiful in black but it'll drive a sane man crazy.
Old 8/25/05, 11:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by lodom@August 25, 2005, 11:19 AM
Paint chipping and thin paint seems to be a common discussion item on most new cars. I think EPA regulations might be contributing factor. The easiest solution to the problem is to add the invisible film to the bumper and part of the hood. I don't care much for the appearance of it, but it does look much better than a chipped up hood. There is a black GT in our parking lot that has the film on the hood.
It's my understanding that the EPA mandated a reduction in VOCs (volatile organic compounds) in automative paint (in 1999 I believe but I could be wrong). VOCs help paint adhere to the body. Without them, paint is more likely to peel or chip. It's not a Ford specific issue.
Old 8/25/05, 11:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by BLAKE@August 25, 2005, 10:06 AM
So now the glass is weaker as well? :scratch:
Well, it certainly seems like it. I know that other cars I've had have been hit with comparable sized pebbles, bounced off, and not ended up with the mark I have on the Mustang.

Are you trying to say that there aren't quality differences in windshield glass?
Old 8/25/05, 11:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

Since I have silver it's a little harder to see the chips but I seem to get them easy. I have at least one chip on all four corners of the car. Don't ask me how
Old 8/25/05, 12:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by moc1976@August 25, 2005, 12:54 PM
Well, it certainly seems like it. I know that other cars I've had have been hit with comparable sized pebbles, bounced off, and not ended up with the mark I have on the Mustang.

Are you trying to say that there aren't quality differences in windshield glass?
I believe automotive glass has been getting thinner over the years in order to save weight. The windsheild in the Acura I had a couple years ago would chip VERY easily. I finally had the windsheild replaced but it wasn't long until it had chips in it as well. My Mazda6 has been a little better. I've had a couple of significant hits (they sounded significant at least) that didn't cause any damage.
Old 8/25/05, 12:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by moc1976@August 25, 2005, 11:54 AM

I'm trying to say that a lot more depends on size, speed, and direction of the offending projectile. Either way, I can't see accusing the new Mustang of having a relatively weak windshield.

They're almost 2 tons of metal, glass, and rubber hurtling through space. Occasionally they are going to meet hard things in their path and be (however slightly) damaged. My advice is to relax, and take pride in your damaged, but enjoyed badge of courage.
Old 8/25/05, 01:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well at least they are only visible up real close...still love it and I tihnk it's built real well other than that.
Old 8/25/05, 01:05 PM
Bullitt Member

I remember a guy on Stang net complaing about this same issue when the 05 first came out. He found that it was something done to only the black cars in the intial production run.

He took his back to the dealer and Ford had to repaint is car. Think it was a known issue. Might want to check your build date and contact Ford customer support.
Old 8/25/05, 01:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by BLAKE@August 25, 2005, 12:56 PM
I'm trying to say that a lot more depends on size, speed, and direction of the offending projectile. Either way, I can't see accusing the new Mustang of having a relatively weak windshield.

They're almost 2 tons of metal, glass, and rubber hurtling through space. Occasionally they are going to meet hard things in their path and be (however slightly) damaged. My advice is to relax, and take pride in your damaged, but enjoyed badge of courage.
Well, I don't claim to be an expert on highway projectiles. I do know that others have complained about the windshield on the 05 Mustang getting dinged easily. I also know that I have been hit several times in other cars that I've had and it did not cause this type of mark on the windshield. And it certainly wouldn't surprise me if Ford decided to use a lower quality of glass to keep the cost low. So, I can see accusing the new Mustang of having a weak windshield, and apparently, so do others.

And I'm plenty relaxed, heading for vacation tomorrow and insurance is taking care of it with no deductible.
Old 8/25/05, 01:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by moc1976@August 25, 2005, 1:54 PM

the pebble must have hit just the right place...i have seen cars that were rear ended and looked like a cement truck hit them when only a small car did...again just hit the right part of the car to cause that type of damage..
Old 8/25/05, 01:42 PM
Bullitt Member

I had a 1998 Mountaineer that I broke 4 windshields on in 3 years. Three of them in one summer when they were working on the road I travel to work. I also took a stone on my 2002 Mountaineer and broke it in the first 6 months I owned it.
Old 8/25/05, 02:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by moc1976@August 25, 2005, 1:16 PM

And I'm plenty relaxed, heading for vacation tomorrow and insurance is taking care of it with no deductible.
Nice. Hard to beat that.
Old 8/25/05, 02:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

i just had the entire front... facia, hood, and faded fenders painted, ford covered it all.....

i had like 24 chips!!!
just got it back and it looks new again!!!
Old 8/25/05, 06:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mine's 5 months and 4 days old, driven daily, and not a single paint chip. I look it over closely every week while washing it, and so far, I'm real happy with the paint quality.

But I have very few highway miles, where most chips probably happen.

I'd say the only way to avoid paint chips is to have the 3M Xpel clear bra installed. I saw it installed on a friend's black Infiniti FX35, and it's not really noticeable at all.

Quick Reply: factory Paint job really weak?