Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? Different sockets for fog lights ?

Search this Thread

Old 4/5/11, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? Different sockets for fog lights ?

Good morning!

I need help... Does anybody have some sort of specification regarding the connectors for the pony package fog lights?

I bought a pony package grille for my V6 Mustang. Later on, I bought a wiring harness for the fog lights. The description in the ebay auctions said that the harness matches the pony fog lights. However, it does not. Probably, the connectors match the GT fog light sockets. Now I'm looking for the fitting connectors for the pony fog light sockets, but I'm not aware what I should enter in the internet search for finding the correct ones. Does anyone konw?

Thanks in advance,

Wolfgang
Old 4/5/11, 01:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

they are the same. when i put a pony package v6 grille into my GT, it was a plug-and-play deal. i didn't change out any wiring.
Old 4/5/11, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by sound wave
they are the same. when i put a pony package v6 grille into my GT, it was a plug-and-play deal. i didn't change out any wiring.
Oh, crap! My mechanic told me, they do not fit. For the one thing a nose-piece needed to be removed from either the connector or the socket and for the other thing the distance between the pins is different. As far as I remember, the pony grille fog light sockets are directed downward. Maybe that's the reason for the problems. He managed to connect them, but it would be nice to have the exactly fitting connectors for them.
Old 4/5/11, 01:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

the pony grille socket may have been pointed downwards.... i can't remember. the GT might have been the same way.

still, it doesn't matter which way they face. the actual light connectors are exactly compatible. unplug the GT fogs and plug in the V6 fogs into the same harness (now fitting the actual V6 grille into the GT bumper is a different story). the light harness clicks right into place.

did you buy a ford brand harness? maybe you bought a wrong aftermarket one? idk.

i know for a fact the factory one fits the V6/GT grille with no fuss.
Old 4/5/11, 01:48 AM

the pony grille socket may have been pointed downwards.... i can't remember. the GT might have been the same way.

still, it doesn't matter which way they face. the actual light connectors are exactly compatible. unplug the GT fogs and plug in the V6 fogs into the same harness (now fitting the actual V6 grille into the GT bumper is a different story). the light harness clicks right into place.

did you buy a ford brand harness? maybe you bought a wrong aftermarket one? idk.

i know for a fact the factory one fits the V6/GT grille with no fuss.
That may be the problem. I think it is not a original ford brand grille, because it has no SAE signs, but European signs. This is basically very good for me, because I'm from Germany. However, it is likely that the sockets are different for that reason... ****.
Old 4/5/11, 01:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

the grille is a pony package, but not the ford one? kind of confused now. i was talking about the harness being a ford harness. is this the grille you have?

but yeah, maybe like you said, the european one and the one for the states is different... idk. but at least it looks like your mechanic got it to work, right?
Old 4/5/11, 02:03 AM

the grille is a pony package, but not the ford one? kind of confused now. i was talking about the harness being a ford harness. is this the grille you have?

but yeah, maybe like you said, the european one and the one for the states is different... idk. but at least it looks like your mechanic got it to work, right?
Yes, he did for god's sake... Basically my pony grille looks like yours, but there is at least one difference. My grille does not have the chrome surrounding at the outer periphery. Mine is flat black on the outer periphery. Your front appearance looks great!
Old 4/5/11, 02:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

thanks. the chrome surround is not stock. that is door edge guard. i just stuck it on there.

not this exact one, but this kind of stuff: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Door-...mZ160567848383
Old 4/5/11, 12:57 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pony package fog lamps take a H11 bulb
GT package takes a 9145
you need ford jumper harness part# 5L5Z-15A211-AA to go from a GT harness connector to a pony package fog lamp, you'll need 1 for each lamp
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
FordEPC.pdf (1.55 MB, 474 views)
Old 4/5/11, 04:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by partsbill
you need ford jumper harness part# 5L5Z-15A211-AA to go from a GT harness connector to a pony package fog lamp, you'll need 1 for each lamp
so a GT fog light harness will not plug into the pony package's v6 fog lights?
Old 4/5/11, 05:16 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so a GT fog light harness will not plug into the pony package's v6 fog lights?
Not if you want to do it right, I'm sure it's possible to rig it if you wanted, but if you were to look at both the GT bulb and the pony bulb you would notice that they take different plugs, the Pony package mustangs use the GT fog lamp harness but the use they jumper harness to adapt to the Pony package bulb.

Last edited by partsbill; 4/5/11 at 05:20 PM.
Old 4/5/11, 09:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not if you want to do it right, I'm sure it's possible to rig it if you wanted, but if you were to look at both the GT bulb and the pony bulb you would notice that they take different plugs, the Pony package mustangs use the GT fog lamp harness but the use they jumper harness to adapt to the Pony package bulb.
hmm....

my "rigging" of the plugs consisted of unplugging the harness from my gt lights and plugging it into my v6 lights. clicked right into place and my fog lights work.

i didn't have to use any jumper harness... with some googling i do see the harnesses you are talking about.

the only thing i can think of is that they changed the harnesses over the years? idk
Old 4/6/11, 12:59 AM

Pony package fog lamps take a H11 bulb
GT package takes a 9145
Bill,

thanks a lot for this great information! That's exactly what I was looking for! However, this will lead me to another problem... Where to buy cheap and to find a dealer which provides international shipping... CJPonyparts seems to be the only one... they would like to have 40 bucks per harness! Shipment excluded... Driving a Mustang here in Germany is pretty expensive... but it's worth!

Wolfgang
Old 4/6/11, 05:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Driving a mustang anywhere is expensive , unless you can resist the mod bug ...
Old 6/16/12, 07:19 AM

check ebay