2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 heater problems

Search this Thread

Old 10/4/11, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 heater problems

Coming to my first fall and winter with my 07 Mustang V6 Premium Coupe. My question is about how long it takes the heater to blow hot air. My 98 in less than two miles, 2-3 min. would start blowing hot air. My 07 takes closer to 10 miles, 10-12 min. Even then it sometimes seems to cool off. It acts like a home heat pump. My father's Five Hundred has automatic temp controls, set it and forget it. My 07 has the same old setup as Mustangs have had since the beginning. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks.
Old 10/4/11, 06:34 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is your coolant level. And does the car completely warm up? Or does it stay real cool.
Old 10/5/11, 05:00 AM

Coolant level ok. This morning my paper girl was 40 min. late, so I sat in the car, engine running and listening to music. As I watched the temp gauge s-l-o-w-l-y start to warm up, the heater was still blowing cold air. It wasn't until I got on the road and the car reached normal operating temp that it started blowing hot air. It was cool this morning so I let it blow full blast as I continued to work. Every so often it would cool down before heating back up, like it was a safety issue and didn't want to overheat. If this is going to be normal, I'm going to have to install remote start. I can't sit in the car this winter for 40+ minutes waiting for the defroster to make my windshield clear enough to drive.
Old 10/5/11, 06:03 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by rds1952
Coolant level ok. This morning my paper girl was 40 min. late, so I sat in the car, engine running and listening to music. As I watched the temp gauge s-l-o-w-l-y start to warm up, the heater was still blowing cold air. It wasn't until I got on the road and the car reached normal operating temp that it started blowing hot air. It was cool this morning so I let it blow full blast as I continued to work. Every so often it would cool down before heating back up, like it was a safety issue and didn't want to overheat. If this is going to be normal, I'm going to have to install remote start. I can't sit in the car this winter for 40+ minutes waiting for the defroster to make my windshield clear enough to drive.
I would check and make sure your heater core bypass valve is functioning correctly
Old 10/5/11, 07:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Have your water system thermostat checked at your dealer...it might be stuck open...which would allow water/antifreeze to circulate through the radiator, rather than heat up quickly in the engine block. The thermostat works by staying closed, until the engine and the water reach a prescribed temperature...then the thermostat opens, allowing the water/antifreeze to circulate through the radiator to cool it and maintain a safe operating temperature. If it's stuck in the open position, it will take a long time to heat the water and get heat through your heating system.
Old 10/6/11, 04:33 AM

Sorry, my bad. I've only had my new girl for a few months. I checked the overflow tank and found it had inside stains that made it look full. I also didn't realize the cold water mark was so high to the point of I feel like I'm going to fill it completely to the top. So far, I have put in about a gallon and a half. I don't think I have any leaks, but I'll be watching it for the next week or so. I was nice and toasty this moring coming to work. I don't know how it got so low unless the dealer made the same mistake I did. Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Old 10/6/11, 06:52 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Sorry, my bad. I've only had my new girl for a few months. I checked the overflow tank and found it had inside stains that made it look full. I also didn't realize the cold water mark was so high to the point of I feel like I'm going to fill it completely to the top. So far, I have put in about a gallon and a half. I don't think I have any leaks, but I'll be watching it for the next week or so. I was nice and toasty this moring coming to work. I don't know how it got so low unless the dealer made the same mistake I did. Thanks for your help and suggestions.
No problem. Glad its working
Old 10/9/11, 09:29 AM

As I replaced my front turn sig bulbs, I had an idea about my loss of antifreeze. I run my heater quite often but almost never my ac. So while on the ground replacing lights, I started my car and turned on the ac. When I got back to the ground, wet stuff was dripping underneath in about the area of the climate control *****. I later went out to lunch and when I got back I tried it again and nothing dripped. I'll have to get my ramps out so I can get under and see what I see.
Old 10/9/11, 10:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by texastboneking
I would check and make sure your heater core bypass valve is functioning correctly
^^^This and....

Originally Posted by Sabre
Have your water system thermostat checked at your dealer...it might be stuck open...which would allow water/antifreeze to circulate through the radiator, rather than heat up quickly in the engine block. The thermostat works by staying closed, until the engine and the water reach a prescribed temperature...then the thermostat opens, allowing the water/antifreeze to circulate through the radiator to cool it and maintain a safe operating temperature. If it's stuck in the open position, it will take a long time to heat the water and get heat through your heating system.
THIS.

Now you need to make sure you've got all the air out of the cooling system. On a cold start, open the overflow tank. Turn your heater on full blast. Let the car warm up to operating temp. As the car warms up to operating temp, check to make sure the tank is at the correct level. If it drops, fill it back up and then put the cap back on. Keep the heater blowing for about 10 minutes after you've reached full operating temp.

Next time you go to do a cold start, check the level in the tank.

This process is so much easier if you have a cap on the top of the radiator. lol
Old 10/10/11, 12:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
, I started my car and turned on the ac. When I got back to the ground, wet stuff was dripping underneath in about the area of the climate control *****. I later went out to lunch and when I got back I tried it again and nothing dripped. I'll have to get my ramps out so I can get under and see what I see.
You will get water drips from the A/C's evaporator with the A/C On. It will not contain antifreeze. If there's antifreeze on the ground you have a leak.
Old 10/10/11, 01:31 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
As was mentioned before, the first thing that comes to mind with those symptoms is a thermostat stuck open.
Old 10/18/11, 04:47 AM

Case solved-Thanks for all your help.
I took it to the dealer and they found a cracked tstat housing. They replaced the housing and the tstat. Also, replaced the coolant, since they were there and because I had mistaken put somthing other than Motorchraft Premium Gold in there.