Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

4 cylinder to V8 Swap

Old 2/12/06, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a question for anyone with experience in this: I currently own a '90 GT hatchback that I've modified pretty much front to back mechanically; new engine, exhaust, tranny, axles, etc., pretty much everything under the car. However, 16 yr old gremlins keep showing up (rust, electrical bugs, upholstery, "gangsta lean" driver's seat, etc.), and I'm getting tired of addressing new problems. I've found a '92 notchback 4cylinder in MUCH better cosmetic condition than mine, and the owner only wants 700 bucks. I just want to know what's entailed with switching out all the powertrain and suspension stuff from my GT. Anything I should avoid? Any help would be greatly apprectiated. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]
Old 2/12/06, 09:28 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Daddypop @ February 12, 2006, 9:17 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I have a question for anyone with experience in this: I currently own a '90 GT hatchback that I've modified pretty much front to back mechanically; new engine, exhaust, tranny, axles, etc., pretty much everything under the car. However, 16 yr old gremlins keep showing up (rust, electrical bugs, upholstery, "gangsta lean" driver's seat, etc.), and I'm getting tired of addressing new problems. I've found a '92 notchback 4cylinder in MUCH better cosmetic condition than mine, and the owner only wants 700 bucks. I just want to know what's entailed with switching out all the powertrain and suspension stuff from my GT. Anything I should avoid? Any help would be greatly apprectiated. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
Well, I can say from expierience that you will have to swap:
Engine (including front accesories)
Transmission
Headlight harness
Computer harness
computer
Rear end
fuel lines
fuel pump
Brake booster, master cylinder, proportioning valve, and brake rotor and hub assemblies
Gauge cluster (if you want it to have the corect one)
Springs, shocks and struts
The four cylinder steering rack and rag joint may be different as well

You pretty much have top swap just about everything that can be removed from your gt into the new chassis in order to do the job right. It can definiltey be done, but it is not a easy job by any means. There is alot of work involved.
Old 2/12/06, 09:56 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joker @ February 12, 2006, 10:31 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Well, I can say from expierience that you will have to swap:
Engine (including front accesories)
Transmission
Headlight harness
Computer harness
computer
Rear end
fuel lines
fuel pump
Brake booster, master cylinder, proportioning valve, and brake rotor and hub assemblies
Gauge cluster (if you want it to have the corect one)
Springs, shocks and struts
The four cylinder steering rack and rag joint may be different as well

You pretty much have top swap just about everything that can be removed from your gt into the new chassis in order to do the job right. It can definiltey be done, but it is not a easy job by any means. There is alot of work involved.
[/b][/quote]
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] Thanx joker! Yeah, I figured on just taking everything out of the GT, and bolting it onto the notch; I just wasn't sure if there were things to definitely avoid. I think I may ditch the EFI and go carburated, just to avoid the whole engine computer hassle. As it is, it's fought me tooth and nail with my current engine mods (ported aluminum GT40 heads, Extreme energy cam, engine bored .040 over, 24# injectors, Trick flow intake), and I know I'm not making the horsepower this combo should be giving me. I've also invested (sorta) a lot on billet stuff for the interior, and gauges, etc., and I just want it all to have a home in a car where I don't have to worry about what won't work the next time I start it up. I have a few pics of my '90 GT, but I don't know how to post them. Anyways, Thanx for the suggestions. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/12/06, 10:28 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Daddypop @ February 12, 2006, 10:59 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] Thanx joker! Yeah, I figured on just taking everything out of the GT, and bolting it onto the notch; I just wasn't sure if there were things to definitely avoid. I think I may ditch the EFI and go carburated, just to avoid the whole engine computer hassle. As it is, it's fought me tooth and nail with my current engine mods (ported aluminum GT40 heads, Extreme energy cam, engine bored .040 over, 24# injectors, Trick flow intake), and I know I'm not making the horsepower this combo should be giving me. I've also invested (sorta) a lot on billet stuff for the interior, and gauges, etc., and I just want it all to have a home in a car where I don't have to worry about what won't work the next time I start it up. I have a few pics of my '90 GT, but I don't know how to post them. Anyways, Thanx for the suggestions. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]I am really not a big fan of carbed setups myself. In fact my coupe was carbed when I bought it and I changed it over to efi. How much hp is it making to the wheels? Your combo doesnt sound like anything outrageous and I am sure a good tuner would do miracles for you. What king of electrical problems have you been having? I havent swapped a 4cyl to v8 before, but mine was originally a 4 cylinder car, and the person who put the v8 in it did a half !@# job. I had to put in all the harnesses, change some accesories and brackets, a few other things. I just cant see going a carb setup for a car that I would want to drive alot.
Old 2/12/06, 10:58 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joker @ February 12, 2006, 11:31 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I am really not a big fan of carbed setups myself. In fact my coupe was carbed when I bought it and I changed it over to efi. How much hp is it making to the wheels? Your combo doesnt sound like anything outrageous and I am sure a good tuner would do miracles for you. What king of electrical problems have you been having? I havent swapped a 4cyl to v8 before, but mine was originally a 4 cylinder car, and the person who put the v8 in it did a half !@# job. I had to put in all the harnesses, change some accesories and brackets, a few other things. I just cant see going a carb setup for a car that I would want to drive alot.
[/b][/quote]
I've never dynoed the car, unfortunately. I just haven't had the opportunity; but I would guess somewhere around 300-320 to the wheels. I don't know if a chip would do much good for me at this point, as I've kind of lost faith in the EEC(lol). The engine is at 10.5:1 compression, with a 70 mm throttle body, and the past mentioned mods, so I think I should be somewhere around 350 to the wheels. Am I optomistic(lol)? Seat of pants tells me the car wants to do more. Electrical problems are I guess typical Fox body types: Blinking headlights, no power locks or windows, power mirrors iffy, interior lights iffy, foglights are decorations only, and other various insignificant, but nonetheless annoying non working items. I've replaced swiches, *****, and other doodads over and over, but the problems persist, or show up just when I think I've killed the last one. Is there a kit to just totally redo the wiring, like on the classic Mustangs? My horsepower guess comes from comparing the '90 to my '05. Thanx again. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/19/06, 09:47 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Daddypop @ February 12, 2006, 9:17 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]
My '90 GT