1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Help replacing flywheel, having starting issues

Old 4/17/07, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help replacing flywheel, having starting issues

I have a 66 mustang w/ a 289 (I think, it may be a 302) with a toploader 4-speed. Original issue I was having is when I attempt to start the car, the starter would make a horrific sound but would usually start the car. Sometimes it would try for a second or 2 and then simply spin. I inspected the flywheel teeth (looked OK to me) before I went to to the local Autozone and purchased a new starter for a 289, and thought my worries were over. It started pretty good for a while, but would still make a grinding noise. At any rate, I decide not to tear it back open and ran with what I had. Well, now the thing hardly turns over the motor at all. Occasionally, it will bump the motor but will simply spin. Every now and then, after about 25 attempts, it will grab and I can start the car. However, while it is starting the car it is making a high pitch grinding noise. Is it possible that I have the wrong starter? Wouldn't this same starter fit a 302 as well, if it is actually a 302? Or could it be the flywheel? How would I know if I needed a 157 tooth or a 164 tooth flywheel? Any help or guidance with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve
Old 4/19/07, 08:46 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
i realise there are so many people out there who dont know anything about cars and need help and i`m not trying to be a smart A$$ but sometimes there are questions that are asked on here that only by taking the vehicle to a mechanic can you get the correct answer .. we can tell you 15 different reasons why you have the problem you have and it wont do you any good .. take it to a mechanic ..
Old 4/19/07, 10:22 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Willie, what I like to do is a combination of the two. Get some ideas from the guys around here, and then take it to the mechanic. Learn what you can first, so you can be on a somewhat equal footing with the mechanic when he is explaining things. makes you look better AND prevents you from getting shafted by a sleazy mechanic.

and on that note, sorry, I have no idea how to help with a flywheel
Old 4/19/07, 10:41 AM
legacy Tms Member

in that case the most likely problem is that the teeth are worn so on the flywheel that a little bit of wear on the starter drive makes it slip over the teeth on the flywheel . i dont remember if those flywheels had the removable teeth ring . in other words you may not need a whole new flywheel just the outer ring .. but regardless the flywheel must be removed,, edit .. i`m somewhat mechanically inclined so i see it as a simple fix.. i was a mechanic before the era of computor cars .. i dont know diddle about todays cars though so i should`nt be so critical of folks
Old 4/19/07, 10:57 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordnut101
How would I know if I needed a 157 tooth or a 164 tooth flywheel?

...count them.
Old 4/19/07, 11:06 AM
legacy Tms Member

someone even more familiar with those flywheels mite answer this but i have never had a counter person ask me how many teeth my flywheel had .. would it not be so that a 157 teeth wheel would perhaps be smaller than a 164 teeth wheel so the danger of that mix up should not come into play here
Old 4/21/07, 04:43 AM
Bullitt Member

The Ford flex plate tooth size and balance weight is based on the original use of the engine and transmission combination. If you have the original engine and transmission, the flex plate is 157 tooth and 28oZ balance. The only way to know for sure is tooth counting. The teeth are part of the plate and if damaged, reuires transmissionremoval to replace the plate. It is possible to get a replacement starter that does not fit like it should. I have had to add shims to some cars to make the starter work. Removing your starter will allow you to see the casting on your engine block. That will give you a clue as to what flex plate you have.
Old 4/21/07, 11:28 AM

I wanted to give everyone that viewed this post an update on how I solved my problem.

I removed my current starter (specified as a manual starter, shorter end) and inspected the teeth on both the flywheel and the strater. It was evident that the starter gear was slightly touching the flywheel teeth. Yes, the flywheel is a little damaged, but not much. I started to go buy a new flywheel, and starter, and tear the thing down and replace, but I got a wild hair and decided to go buy the starter specified for the automatic. I figured what the heck, a $50 bill, it will work or it won't, and the O'Reilly guy said I could return it if it didn't fit. I'm sure evryone can see where I am going with this.

I installed the new automatic starter (longer end, as shown in the previous pics) and PRESTO... Problem Solved. Sounds like factory! Starts perfectly evrytime, without grinding, disengaging, etc.

Hope this might help. Thanks for evryone's input.
Old 4/21/07, 07:33 PM
legacy Tms Member

you tricked us .. automatic starter on a 4 speed straight shift flywheel
Old 4/22/07, 08:59 AM

Didn't mean to trick anyone. A member on another forum suggested I try it, even though I have a manual tranny. He had seen the issue in an older post and recalled that was the resolution. Didn't make sense to me, and I don't know how are why, just that it is fixed.
Old 4/22/07, 03:10 PM
legacy Tms Member

aint no big thing .. aint even a little thing .. iv`e forgotten 4/3 rds of what i used to know about cars .. grey matter is a terrible thing to lose